Post-Game Talk: Nylander King of Sweden!!!

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
And it is on tsn won't be played later that sucks
I just realized that I have concert tickets Friday night so it works perfect for me. :)
If he keeps this up, he could win the Hart this season anyway...
:nod::nod::nod::nod::nod::nod::nod:
US Thanksgiving. NHL has all teams playing that day all day
Aha!
Are they playing in a US market? The day after US Thanksgiving always has some matinees.
I didn't remember that, but I got it now.
Before the Detroit game O-Dog and Poulin both agreed it would be "just another game" from Nylander. As in, he won't treat these games any differently than any other.

Maybe one of the worst takes ever, even without the benefit of hindsight. It was a huge deal for Nylander going home & playing in front of 100+ family & friends, with the Borje patches and Sundin taking part. Just another game? Ugh.

Maybe Willie used their clueless comments as whiteboard material, but whatever the case he was a beast out there. And thanks to his incredible performances in both games, he's actually got a shot at taking over the scoring lead.

King of Sweden indeed.
Maybe what they meant is that he's been super crazy elite all season long, no reason to expect anything different in Sweden? ;)

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
You must live in a cave if you don’t know it’s US Thanksgiving next week.
Yes and Bettman first even know the real Thanksgiving is October. The US moved Thanksgiving to Nov so the people could be at home to watch the Cowboys and Lions. The all powerful NFL.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Even when you go back to the 2018-2021 seasons when Marner's statistical production started to leave Nylander in the dust, I always maintained the production seemed to come relatively efficiently for Marner whereas Nylander would show all these flashes (of what he does now) and do all these athletically brilliant things but the numbers were so flat.

I don't know if you can make sweeping generalizations that a lot of Swedes peak later in their careers (check the longevity of a Sundin, Lidstrom, the late breakout of the Sedin twins, Alfredsson, Zetterberg becoming an impact player in his mid to late 20s) but I'd say lock up Willie and never regret it.
Absolutely 100% what I was thinking. Swedes just age better. Most of them play such an efficient style of hockey and not go balls out. I've got no problem locking a Swede up until they're 38 years old. A North American? I'd be leary. Nylander will be absolutely fine throughout his 30s.

Mr_Fun

Find me sombaty to love.
Oct 7, 2006
BC
I also think we haven’t talked about how good Rielly has been this year on both sides of the ice

He doesn’t seem to make stupid pinches, he’s making good reads in the dzone. He’s actually playing 2 on 1’s pretty well. His transition skills are still top notch as are his playmaking skills

15 points in 17 games. That’s at 7.5 million, he’s such an amazing player. Playing like a top 10 dman in the league

He's playing his best hockey since joining the team. I usually hate him in our end but since last year's playoffs, he's really come into his own.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
This was not our best game. The first line was good today. Great game by Rielly. Once again Nylander shows he is our best forward this season. Seriously, Nylander is equal to or better than Matthews. With his skill set and strength I’m convinced he deserves 11 mill.

On the negative, what was Brodie thinking when three Leafs were in the corner and he passes a dime to a Wild player in the slot. AlsoTavares is skating better but he’s exposed on 3 on 3. That flop before Nylander goal was tragic.

Last edited:
Reactions: Niagara Bill

Mr_Fun

Find me sombaty to love.
Oct 7, 2006
BC
McCabe has been mostly steady since coming back from injury which is good because he was arse to start the season. Pretty much a black hole offensively, but then again, I don't expect anything much in that dept.

Woll was very good, although I'm not sure how he ended up whiffing on that 1st goal. Can't fault him for anything after that.

Reactions: authentic

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
I hope we just sign him. I don’t care the number. This guy is a 1 man army. First time we have ever seen Willy playing 100 percent and trying 100 percent. When he try’s and fully plays his game he is as good as Matthews
When the three of them are dialed in their hard to put in order they just need to be nate dog dialed in

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Habs fan coming in peace (as always ;) ) , love Nylander great player. He's the best type of offensive star one that elevates their game at clutch moments (OT / Playoffs). Hopefully he keeps up this pace , could be his year with McDavid having a slow start.

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
Just like every other player since 1967.

Whatever point you think you have, you don't have.
UYs
My point is simple,
Marner is a very very good player, worthy of the praise he gets, but frankly, without winning he is just Sittler, Vaive, Clark, equal, great, but no cigar.
56 flippin years is far to long to celebrate players or coaches or execs who get 80% of the job done. Gerry McNamara and John Brophy lost to. What is the difference when only winning counts.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
He can certainly carry the puck better than matthews. Way faster skater.

Nylander should have been the centre years ago.
I think they are just different players. Nylander can't touch Matthews' ability to score from what seems like any spot on the ice, and Matthews can't touch Nylander's skating or playmaking abilities.

Enga Olly

May 26, 2021
UYs
My point is simple,
Marner is a very very good player, worthy of the praise he gets, but frankly, without winning he is just Sittler, Vaive, Clark, equal, great, but no cigar.
56 flippin years is far to long to celebrate players or coaches or execs who get 80% of the job done. Gerry McNamara and John Brophy lost to. What is the difference when only winning counts.

I'm trying to recall the time that John Brophy got 80% of the job done

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Can we play all our games in Sweden? The crowd is louder, the ice is better and we haven't lost. Oh yeah, one more thing. PAY HIM!!!!!
Not to mention Willy will never play average hockey again if we play all of our games in Sweden. He loves playing for Sweden and playing in Sweden.

Reactions: TakeTheBody

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
not a keefe supporter, but its a pretty weird look for someone to blame the coach for a player falling down on a play we actually scored on dont you think? lol
Falling down? No, JT just cleverly got out of the way so Mo and Willy could do their thing. :sarcasm:

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
He can certainly carry the puck better than matthews. Way faster skater.

Nylander should have been the centre years ago.
He was drafted as a centre, and if not for Dubas signing JT, Willy would have been 2C as soon as Kadri left.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
My favourite part of the game was how it looked like the Leafs were easily gonna win it.

Only to give up two goals in the third.

Late start to the game ✓
Blown third period lead ✓
Coach thinks the team did "terrific" ✓

Leafs are as playoff ready as I've ever seen them.

The early story of the year is the play of the rookies. Five goals for Knies and two for Robertson is fantastic. Meanwhile Domi STILL doesn't have any.

It's when I read things like this "We like that we found a way to get the points" that I know the Leafs will never win anything under Keefe.

The Leafs didn't "find a way to get the points". They already had them. What they did was find a way to give Minnesota a point.

The fact Keefe doesn't recognize the difference only confirms he has a "respect in the handshake lineup is good enough" mentality.

• Haha
Reactions: Al14 and egd27

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce