Speculation: Nylander contract talk (All Nylander talk here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Anyone know if there is a offer sheet on the table that he has not signed, or is that time passed? So it is: sign, sit out or get traded?

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Nylander is nothing close to Eichel, is he a franchise center?

You didn't get the point of my post lol.

Im not comparing Nylander to Eichel.

I mean Eichel certainly did not deserve 10 million dollars after his first two seasons in the NHL. Shit he still doesn't deserve 10 million dollars, but in the future he might and buffalo is betting on that.

Nylander deserves somewhere between 6.5-7, but I mean some teams would probably give him closer to 7. Leafs obviously don't.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
You didn't get the point of my post lol.

Im not comparing Nylander to Eichel.

I mean Eichel certainly did not deserve 10 million dollars after his first two seasons in the NHL. **** he still doesn't deserve 10 million dollars, but in the future he might and buffalo is betting on that.

Nylander deserves somewhere between 6.5-7, but I mean some teams would probably give him closer to 7. Leafs obviously don't.
You didn't get the point of my post. Name the RFA winger coming out of ELC who scores 20G and 60P and makes over 7m per.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Toews while not a winger is making $10.5m and hasn't reached 60 pts in 4 years.

Perry can't reach 60 now days for $8.65m, Parise has seen 60 pts once in the last 7 years for $7.5m and lets no forget the train wreck in Bobby Ryan. four more years of $7.25m ...yuck
so which one would you like to see on the Leafs? Willie at 7 million would be the same type of situation.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
You don't think the Leafs would match $7M? Lmao.

Easy to bet on something that definitely won't have the opportunity to happen.

I want in on this you'd lose

as would I.

Bring it on! :sarcasm:

Seriously, and I'm not trying to troll Leafs fans here. I'm looking at the team salary structure and, in my opinion, it appears that $7 million does significant harm. It sets the bar for next season's negotiations w/Marner and Matthews at a higher level. Even without that, it puts significant pressure on Dubas. As I've said before, he probably can make it work (trades, young guys perform better than expected, etc.), but Willie at $7 million is a challenge. Personally, I'd take the picks (if it were an offer sheet) or a solid trade offer given what I've heard of the Leafs forward depth.

Reactions: powerstuck

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !

Seriously, and I'm not trying to troll Leafs fans here. I'm looking at the team salary structure and, in my opinion, it appears that $7 million does significant harm. It sets the bar for next season's negotiations w/Marner and Matthews at a higher level. Even without that, it puts significant pressure on Dubas. As I've said before, he probably can make it work (trades, young guys perform better than expected, etc.), but Willie at $7 million is a challenge. Personally, I'd take the picks (if it were an offer sheet) or a solid trade offer given what I've heard of the Leafs forward depth.

I disagree on the fact that I still believe Leafs would match a 7M aav for Nylander if someone was to throw the offer.

But I agree that having him in Toronto at 7M aav is a recipe for disaster next year where you have to sign more guys, that will want more cash and that are all better than Nylander.

Overall, I find the situation uneasy for both parties but I think the impact could be bigger (worse) for the team than for the player.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
It's not a question of whether he signs, it's one of is he happy long term with the leafs which could lead to a divorce down the road

Reactions: Drytoast

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
Toews while not a winger is making $10.5m and hasn't reached 60 pts in 4 years.

Perry can't reach 60 now days for $8.65m, Parise has seen 60 pts once in the last 7 years for $7.5m and lets no forget the train wreck in Bobby Ryan. four more years of $7.25m ...yuck

Well see now you are comparing a young winger to a man who was the backbone of an almost dynasty.

Those other deals are horrible by and large and are the exact reason why Duby and company are taking their time and doing it right.

There is something to be said for taking your time.

Two bulls standing on a Ridgeline overlooking a herd of cows...

Young one looks at his father and says "hey dad.. look at all those cows down there. Let's run down and **** one of them."

Father looks down at his son with an experienced gaze..." No son... let's take our time, walk down and **** them all."

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
Imagine this place next Sept when/if it's Matthews, Marner, Johnsson and Kapanen in this boat?

I mean, I doubt it gets there with all 4 but maybe 2 aren't out of the question.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Imagine this place next Sept when/if it's Matthews, Marner, Johnsson and Kapanen in this boat?

I mean, I doubt it gets there with all 4 but maybe 2 aren't out of the question.

I dont expect matthews to be an issue but marner might of he goes ham this year

Elias GOATtersson

Jan 8, 2011
Has there not been anything written on how different contracts for the big 3 in Toronto will affect TML’s ability to actually keep whatever sort of team their trying to keep together together? Speculation is fun but so many of the posts here are like people getting angry at other people for not speculating correctly, so it would be nice to have something that gives a little concreteness to the speculation imo

None of us know what the player(s) or team are thinking.. Do we? I don’t think bs from “insiders” counts as knowledge.

member 157595

Therein lies the rub: I'd easily move Nylander for the right return. But I'm not interested in Peter Chiarelli-esque asset management here. Many people on this board (not you specifically) would like nothing better than the Leafs making a Hall-Larsson trade (not that Nylander is Hall, but you catch my drift) but that kind of dumbassery doesn't make us a better team. I honestly cannot think of any realistically available RHD I'd be interested in acquiring in a Nylander trade without fairly serious adds on the other side.

I do think an offer sheet for Nylander could catch the Leafs in a bad spot, since the compensation is pretty terrible for the type of contract that could put us in a bind. Obviously, if someone is stupid enough to give us 4 1sts for Nylander then go right ahead, but that's not going to happen. I don't think an offer sheet will happen but you never know.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Seriously, and I'm not trying to troll Leafs fans here. I'm looking at the team salary structure and, in my opinion, it appears that $7 million does significant harm.

I'm guessing it's 500k more than the Leafs are willing to pay. I wouldn't consider that significant harm.

You don't get in trouble paying your elite talent. It's giving replaceable players decent salaries that hurts teams. Like if Zaitsev doesn't bounce back this year, that will be a very bad contract that will hurt the team.

I'm very much in favour of a stars and scrubs model of cap management. I don't mind a lot of big contracts, it's the Zaitsev and Marleau type deals that bother me. Or stuff like Matt Martin, which was thankfully moved.

Reactions: OmniCube

MagicalRazor

Oct 25, 2016
I was in the Air port in Toronto and these business men waiting to board they were flying to Ottawa and they we're talking about Nylander. so i jumped in their conversation ( I was wearing a Leafs sweater and they told me nice sweater ), after like 30 secs of talking I asked them what they did for a living and they said they worked for the leafs , and we're going to the Pre season games . So i was like TELL ME WHATS Go00ooOoo0000oo0Oo0od with Nylander , and they told with the Tavareas singing and he had a "BIG SEPTEMBER" it makes Nylanders contract really difficult and they are looking into all options . So i'm like all options as in Trade? , and he said at the moment that might be the most realistic . So i was like do you have a baal park idea what Nylander is asking for . Im nosey as f*** / bold / and don't care to press lol , they laughed at me and said he wants a long contact and its not cheep. I asked them more than 7? the 3 men just smiled i left them alone after that my plane was pre boarding , i just thanked them and went on my way i was frigging so fire up after lol . But yeah so

I'm assuming 7.5 - 8 x 8 years hes asking for and thats a tough one with the Marner / Matthews / J.T singings

member 157595

I'm guessing it's 500k more than the Leafs are willing to pay. I wouldn't consider that significant harm.

You don't get in trouble paying your elite talent. It's giving replaceable players decent salaries that hurts teams. Like if Zaitsev doesn't bounce back this year, that will be a very bad contract that will hurt the team.

I'm very much in favour of a stars and scrubs model of cap management. I don't mind a lot of big contracts, it's the Zaitsev and Marleau type deals that bother me. Or stuff like Matt Martin, which was thankfully moved.

Exactly. Don't be afraid to pay your core players what they're worth but don't overpay your depth.

I hated the Marleau contract the moment it was signed. The 3rd year + NMC + over 35 combo is just plain bad. Zaitsev has a lot to prove and he needs to do it soon.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !

The problem lies in the fact that if Leafs give Nylander 7M AAV. Matthews wants how much more ? Marner want's how much more ?

Everyone agrees Nylander is great at 6-6.5M, but give him 500k extra and that becomes 1-2M in Matthews case and 1M more in Marners case. In the end, will they have the space to sign everyone without having to pay the bottom six on a league minimum average.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
The problem lies in the fact that if Leafs give Nylander 7M AAV. Matthews wants how much more ? Marner want's how much more ?

Everyone agrees Nylander is great at 6-6.5M, but give him 500k extra and that becomes 1-2M in Matthews case and 1M more in Marners case. In the end, will they have the space to sign everyone without having to pay the bottom six on a league minimum average.

I don't think Nylander's deal has any bearing on Matthews. The idea of Matthews wanting 2M more is a little ridiculous. His market has already been set by other guys.

Reactions: OmniCube

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
you are paying for potential too. Eichel got 10 mil without hitting 60 points.

Eichel and Nylander are in two completely different ballparks. One is a franchise bonafide center. The other is a winger. I wouldn’t even put the two in the same sentence let alone comparable in salary negotiations.

member 157595

I don't think Nylander's deal has any bearing on Matthews. The idea of Matthews wanting 2M more is a little ridiculous. His market has already been set by other guys.

Yup. Nylander is not a comparable to Matthews. Matthews will get somewhere between 10 and 12M/year on an 8-year contract regardless of what happens with Nylander.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad