Speculation: Nylander contract talk (All Nylander talk here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
So, where are they now?
Nylander wants 8M?? The team wants him at 6M??

Just asking, sorry for being late to the party...
Mathews has probably agreed to 11, Marner probably not giving as big a discount as we thought so probably around 7.5 and Willie is holding it all up by wanting as much as Marner. Presser is delayed until Oct 1st. Thanks Willie...

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Your post needs more math...

Cap usually goes up at least 2-2.5 million, which is around 2.5-3%.

So let's say Ehlers' agent and Jets GM agreed on a contract assuming a modest cap increase of 2 million, or 2.68%. Instead, the cap rose by 5 million, which is about 4% more than the modest projection. On that basis, you could argue for 4% more than Ehlers on a 7 year contract... So 6,25 million over 7 years. Nylander a center on the Leafs? Not likely. Tavares and Matthews will be their top two centers for the next 7-8 years, and I doubt he would replace Kadri at 3 C, either.

Your career math is silly. Ehlers started in the NHL at 19, while Nylander was still in the AHL.

Pretty you are taking Dubas angle and I am taking the Agents angle on things. The Math is not silly it's reality. It's called a negotiation.

Lets switch things a bit. Galchenyuk got a 3 year deal at $4.9M with the Habs (Before the last cap increase). Nylander has better stats right? Would you say he is a better player? So what do you think Nylander gets in a bridge deal? You want to use Ehlers but I'm using Galchenyuk. So a Bridge deal should be north of $5M. A long term deal buying UFA years requires well above $6.25M. Think about this. You can try to justify a team friendly deal all you want. I get it but if it was as easy as you pretend it to be, Nylander would have a contract and would be playing pre season games

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Way to go comparing contracts signed under completely and I mean completely new management. Let's forget all about the great deals for Kadri, Andy and MO... those facts don't fit your derailed at every corner storyline do they. ..

How was the Habs able to get Patch and Gallagher at their great cap hits while Price and Subban got the max deals? There is no fairness here. It's a negotiation and Nylander and his agent are not interested in a long term team friendly deal. You are being too sensitive IMO.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Maybe leaf posters are sick of arrogant habs fans who like to tell us they know better then we do what is best for our team and who also think they as an armchair gm on his best day... that he knows more about the cap and doing business then Duby and the man who wrote the CBA himself, our Assistant GM. But yeah they need your input... lol

But continue on looking to aggravate posters for no good reason other then "you know best"

It's a conversation. There is only an opinion and the only one being arrogant here is you. The "you know best" comment can be thrown right back at you. It's a conversation, relax.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Of course they're going to get paid. No one said they won't, did they?

Well, they are not going to all get paid team friendly deals. That's what I meant with they will get paid. I'm sure you could of figured this out on your own. What did you think I meant? They would play for free?

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Well, they are not going to all get paid team friendly deals. That's what I meant with they will get paid. I'm sure you could of figured this out on your own. What did you think I meant? They would play for free?
the beauty is we are soo insanely deep that if Willy wants too much we can just trade him for a recent high pick and play them on their elc

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
the beauty is we are soo insanely deep that if Willy wants too much we can just trade him for a recent high pick and play them on their elc

Because GMs just love to gift 5-6mil cash to other teams for equal players. Nevermind the reality, we are talking about "beauty".

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto

Again..........of course. You act like every single Leaf fan is expecting them to sign 8 year deals for 4 million per season.

SOME of us understand what a rich team the Leafs are, and what a huge market Toronto is, and how much they will actually get, and it will be handsome amounts for all the "big three", for sure.

I fully expect Nylander to get at least 7 million a season. Not exactly "team friendly" and also not way more than he's worth IMO.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I thought Leafs struggled with cap. already after they signed JT for 11 mil $ with total of 13.3 mil projected cap space and players waiting to get paid like Matthews & Marner next year.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
How was the Habs able to get Patch and Gallagher at their great cap hits while Price and Subban got the max deals? There is no fairness here. It's a negotiation and Nylander and his agent are not interested in a long term team friendly deal. You are being too sensitive IMO.
Because Price and Subban are super-stars and Gallagher and Patches aren't? :dunno:

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017

Yeah that's fine. They can be interested in that all they want but the reality is that Nylander's play substantially drops when the games get hard. You can't win with Nylander being paid as "the guy". He needs a supporting cast to help him out.

He has two choices here. Get paid as "the guy" and lose. Or take slightly less, make up the difference in merch sales because it's the largest market in hockey and win because this team does have a supporting cast. (that won't be a luxury everywhere)

Nylander is being stupid. I'm fine with him sitting the full year and lowering his value or trading him before I overpay for that type of player.

Had he killed it in the playoffs I would not be saying any of this.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Mathews has probably agreed to 11, Marner probably not giving as big a discount as we thought so probably around 7.5 and Willie is holding it all up by wanting as much as Marner. Presser is delayed until Oct 1st. Thanks Willie...
If Marner starts off like he finished last year, he will be at least 9M the kids will all get their $$$ this is what makes windows of opportunities tight...real tight.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
If Marner starts off like he finished last year, he will be at least 9M the kids will all get their $$$ this is what makes windows of opportunities tight...real tight.
they're all RFA's will they all go to Europe? If they were all UFA's, I'd be stressed. They will be signed to fair deals Marner wont get 9 million. he wont get 8

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Pretty you are taking Dubas angle and I am taking the Agents angle on things. The Math is not silly it's reality. It's called a negotiation.

Lets switch things a bit. Galchenyuk got a 3 year deal at $4.9M with the Habs (Before the last cap increase). Nylander has better stats right? Would you say he is a better player? So what do you think Nylander gets in a bridge deal? You want to use Ehlers but I'm using Galchenyuk. So a Bridge deal should be north of $5M. A long term deal buying UFA years requires well above $6.25M. Think about this. You can try to justify a team friendly deal all you want. I get it but if it was as easy as you pretend it to be, Nylander would have a contract and would be playing pre season games
I'm sure Nylander's agent will try all sorts of comparables to try to argue for a high salary. I was responding to your post describing Ehlers as a comparable and pointing out that a reasonable salary for Nylander using Ehlers as a comparable would be 6.25 or so over 7 years.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
they're all RFA's will they all go to Europe? If they were all UFA's, I'd be stressed. They will be signed to fair deals Marner wont get 9 million. he wont get 8
He is a better player, than Eichel and he got 10M The agents play the comparison game, and the teams have to deal with it....Marner is gonna get paid, unless injuries hit him...and thus effecting his numbers this season.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
oh geez foiled again, I tried to pull a fast one but you're too smart

Just pointing out that trading Nylander for equal piece on ELC is a pipe dream. Never happening, so stating it as an option for this contract problem is pretty brainless.

Make a thread "8mil willie nylander for your best forward prospect on ELC." See what gets offered.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
This is just your speculation right? From what I've heard Nylander is looking for a long term deal and we actually have no idea what could be holding it up.

I honestly think it may be a NTC/NMC hold up. If I'm nylander I would be pushing hard for a NTC for the years it is eligible if I'm taking a discount or even a fair value contract.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
He is a better player, than Eichel and he got 10M The agents play the comparison game, and the teams have to deal with it....Marner is gonna get paid, unless injuries hit him...and thus effecting his numbers this season.
Marner is a better player than Eichel now? Jeez, leaf fans would get crucified for saying that in a trade thread but in a contract thread Marner is practically McDavid lol

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
This is just your speculation right? From what I've heard Nylander is looking for a long term deal and we actually have no idea what could be holding it up.

I honestly think it may be a NTC/NMC hold up. If I'm nylander I would be pushing hard for a NTC for the years it is eligible if I'm taking a discount or even a fair value contract.

No disrespect but it's not rocket science on this one. Both sides want a long term deal but one side wants a team friendly deal and the other side wants a deal where he gets paid in any UFA years and how it compares to the growing salary cap. This is the hold up more likely.

As far as the NTC, MNTC, or NMC. They are only eligible to get this in any qualified UFA years. And most players of his talent get the MNTC in those UFA years. It just depends on how many teams. I don't see this being the hold up where they jeopardize the start of the season. Do you?

This is about term and money. It's tracking for a bridge deal but the Leafs might be concerned about how it could burn them after the bridge deal. There has to be middle ground here at some point. If both sides are interested in a long term deal (7 or 8 years), just meet in the middle. However, with adding Tavares's contract, Dubas knows he can't overspend.

7 years at $7M seems fair to me. Rumors are Nylander is asking for $8M and the Leafs likely want a Ehlers type deal at $6M. Can both sides meet in the middle or is one side not willing to budge?

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
One is a first line center, the other is a Winger.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Marner is a better player than Eichel now? Jeez, leaf fans would get crucified for saying that in a trade thread but in a contract thread Marner is practically McDavid lol

In play on the ice they are very valuable and can be compared to the top players in the leauge. In contract negotiations, they need to take a team friendly deal compared to someone less valuable who has signed a previous contract. Makes no sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad