Speculation: Nylander contract talk (All Nylander talk here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
I scoff at Dregs as much as the next guy, but is it so hard to believe a player's camp went into negotiations at 8, hoping for 7 and expecting 6? That's how these things go.

Its routine negotiating, people just love possible drama.

Reactions: smitty10

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I’m not sure why people took Dreger’s report so seriously. He said “non-Leaf related” people “have said” that Nylander “could be” asking for 8M.

Even Friedman today. Says nobody from the Leafs are talking. Nobody from Nylander camp are talking. Then follows that up by saying that they are very far apart. Well if no one relevant to the sitaution is talking, why are you saying they are far apart.

James Mirtle and Chris Johnston, two best Leaf reporters in terms of inside info, both said they expect Nylander to be signed by the pre-season and have both said they expect it to be in the 6.5 range at 6-7-8 years

Reactions: Dustin and Morgs

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I scoff at Dregs as much as the next guy, but is it so hard to believe a player's camp went into negotiations at 8, hoping for 7 and expecting 6? That's how these things go.
that would be as silly as the Leafs offering 4 hoping for 5 and settling on 6. There are lowballers in this world but they are never taken seriously just like there are people who want the moon and are never taken seriously. Most negotiations are pretty close.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Dregers just covering all the numbers, no way he can be wrong now.

Somewhere between 6 and 8.

Thanks Dregs.

Dregs is just so much more entertaining when he injects that shock value into his pieces.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
$6-6.5 million over 6 years is a solid contract for the Leafs. Anything under $7 million is fair market value for Nylander.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
He’s done nothing to suggest he should get more than Ehlers so anything more than Ehlers is too much.
the only difference is that the 18/19 salary cap number wasn't known when Ehlers signed and it is when Nylander will, so there's an argument for some inflation, but otherwise I agree that Ehlers is by far the best comparable

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
He’s done nothing to suggest he should get more than Ehlers so anything more than Ehlers is too much.

Marner and Matthews are his comparables. He likely doesn't want to sign for $6 if Marner gets $7+ and Matthews gets $12+ next offseason.

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
Marner and Matthews are his comparables. He likely doesn't want to sign for $6 if Marner gets $7+ and Matthews gets $12+ next offseason.
Nobody would approach contract negotiations like that. I can't even imagine how that conversation would go.
I want more because hypothetically a comparable player might get more in the future?
They'd tell him to go sober up and come back when he can think rationally.

Leviathan

Nov 25, 2008
Dreger has no insider information. Not suggesting that the numbers people are throwing around won't be accurate in the end just that Dreger is guessing just as much as anyone else is.

Dreger broke the Karlsson trade like 12 hours ago lol.

He also broke the Tavares signing.

He's literally broken two of the biggest stories of the year

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

He’s already trying to walk back the 8 million claim though, claiming social media twisted his words

slimbob8

Aug 11, 2016

Ya really. It’s hilarious when people bash guys like Dreger because “they have no insider connections”. The guy literally speaks to people in the business all day long so how they come to that conclusion is beyond me. Nobody on these forums has any idea who he’s actually connected to but he’s obviously got infinitely more connections than any of us do.

Reactions: Sam Spade

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
If he's only asking for 6-6.5 now, how isn't this done yet? I'm sure Dubas would be thrilled to get him that cheap.

Unless Nylander only wants a 3-4 year deal at that price?

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
If he's only asking for 6-6.5 now, how isn't this done yet? I'm sure Dubas would be thrilled to get him that cheap.

Unless Nylander only wants a 3-4 year deal at that price?
Nylander has said he wants a long term deal. It really hard to say what is holding things up here.

Go4soda

Dec 15, 2015
Ya really. It’s hilarious when people bash guys like Dreger because “they have no insider connections”. The guy literally speaks to people in the business all day long so how they come to that conclusion is beyond me. Nobody on these forums has any idea who he’s actually connected to but he’s obviously got infinitely more connections than any of us do.
His knowledge of other teams seems to be there. Just unfortunately not in the case of the leafs. He hasn’t known anything on them in a long time now. I personally don’t get bent out of shape when an ‘insider’ doesn’t have any info to offer on something leafs related. If you have nothing to offer , that’s fine. But dreger Will come out like he has info and say absolutely nothing of substance. Total speculation based on no information. It’s annoying.

Reactions: Dustin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad