Speculation: Nylander contract discussion

When do the Leafs announce he has signed?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
The only player in the organization that deserve an 8 year deal is Matthews.

Marner and Nylander should get a 7 year deal at most.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
I would offer Nylander 6.5 x 8 years and I would think he signs that.

Looks like he will be a long term fixture on Matthews or Tavares wing so I would lock him up long term before he puts up a huge season.

Reactions: johnny_rudeboy

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
The only player in the organization that deserve an 8 year deal is Matthews.

Marner and Nylander should get a 7 year deal at most.
It isn't about deserve. It's about buying into prime years. On the 8th year, both Marner and Nylander will look like bargains, barring any serious injury. Unfortunately, you have to pay more for term at this age and the leafs may not be able to sign them all to 8

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Nylander expects contract with Maple Leafs 'to take some time'
William Nylander said he believes getting a new contract from the Toronto Maple Leafs will not happen soon, but the restricted free agent forward said he is not concerned.

"That's between my agent and [general manager Kyle Dubas]," Nylander told TSN on Tuesday. "They're talking about it, so I'm not really into that right now. Once it gets closer to the season, I think I'll be more dialed [in]. I mean, Kyle says it's going to take some time, so I'm not too stressed about it."

The 22-year-old had 61 points (20 goals, 41 assists) playing the final season of a three-year, entry-level contract he signed Aug. 18, 2014, after he was the No. 8 pick in the 2014 NHL Draft.

He can sign a contract of up to eight years, or he could sign a shorter-term deal that would keep him a restricted free agent after it expires.

"[Kyle] wants to take it slow, so you can ask Kyle," Nylander said.

Mar 26, 2010
I am starting to think Willy will be traded before the season starts. Still no contract... not looking good.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I am starting to think Willy will be traded before the season starts. Still no contract... not looking good.
I don't see how the two equate.
Wouldn't he have more trade value if signed?

Reactions: Menzinger

Manymataka

Jul 23, 2018
Does this mean Dubas is looking to bridge Nylander?

Something along the lines of:

Give Nylander 2 (or 3) year deal. Then sign Marner and Matthews to long term 8 year contracts; with extensions for Johnsson and Kappanen.

Then when Marleau is off of the cap - extend Nylander
?
I really hope they don't mess around with a bridge contact. If the Leafs sign Nylander to a bridge deal, they will likely not be able to keep the big 4 offensive core together beyond the bridge contract.

Let's say a fair contract can be reached right now at 8 years x 7M which totals to 56M. If Nylander agrees to a bridge contract of 3 yr x 5M, you can bet that he is expecting to recoup, at the minimum, the 41M (56M-15M) over the following 5 years - which means his next contract would carry an AAV of at least 8M (the fact that he's betting on him along with salary cap inflation of 4 years, I think we will be looking more realistically at around 9M by then, especially if he has a few Pastrnak type seasons, putting up close to PPG alongside Matthews/Tavares).

Signing an 8-yr contract means you can smooth out the salary cap hit over the life of the contract and improve your chances at keeping that core together over that period. Projecting out the salary situation, it's obvious that the Leafs cannot afford to muck around. The upside with a bridge deal is that you have a larger margin of error for your assessment of Nylander akin to the Kadri situation, but the Leafs really can't afford to be wrong here.

Same goes for Marner and of course Matthews.

Reactions: Nifty Willy

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

It’s a fairly common occurrence for bigger contract RFAs to get signed in September- especially if it’s one where a lot of details need to be hammered out. May go right up to camp

Reactions: Leafs1993

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
The more time it takes, the more time the Cap geniuses Leafs have hired have to find creative methods of signing him. This is all good. Willy wants a long term contract, leafs say they will get it done.

Reactions: TMLuniverse

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
the fact he wants a long term contract says a lot about his position. he loves the team the city the coaches it would seem. doesn't want to leave for a long time. so with that said I would be ecstatic if we can get him for 6-7 x 8 I think we will know what willy will be by the time he hits 25ish. those swedes seem to really hit the next gear when they get in to there mid 20s. im expecting him to sign and it to be one of the best contracts looking back.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
William Nylander says he wants a long-term contract with Maple Leafs as opposed to a bridge deal.

Have at 'er

As per Luke Fox..dont know why tweet didnt copy correctly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad