Nylander Chronicles Part XXV - Here’s a quarter, call someone who cares

Which side do you think is likely being fair?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
What is this crap?
I understand how this is simplistic and can create discord but a poll here is relevant. For example: if Marner sits out next year maybe a similar poll could be conducted and it might be interesting to contrast the popular opinion on similar situations

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
this isn't a sorry but, that's fair I don't think the leafs are offering that. Most likely that is the offer for 8 years

I say 6.8 x 6 because that’s the Pastrnak with inflation.

The cap hit in years 2-6 would be around 6.6 anyway

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
I used to be completely pro-ownership/management when it came to negotiations -- CBA, signings, etc.

However, I've come closer to the middle now wherein while I agree with management drawing a line in the sand, I completely understand why players look out for number one. Besides the fact these guys only have a certain amount of time to make the money they can make as a professional athlete, since teams have absolutely no loyalty to players, I have come off the stance that the players have an obligation of loyalty towards the team.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
I'm on Team Go Leafs GO! Whatever is best for the team. At this point in this specific case I'm thinking what is best for the team is to trade Nylander for a D of as close to as equal value as you can get.

I think Willie has burned his bridges in Toronto.

Not going to vote in your poll given the options as presented.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
As a fan of the team everyone here should be team Dubas. Ideally you want every player to be on the cheapest contract possible.

The fact that Nylanders dad and agent have been silent other than “we want to get paid our worth” lends credence to Nylander asking for too much rather than Dubas offering too little. Dubas has consistently brought up comparables when talking about the young 3s upcoming contracts

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
no where near enough options here, especially with your bull**** 3rd option

• Neither, we don't know enough facts slightly leaning nylander within reason of course, IE: high $6M - low $7M anymore and leaning goes back to dubas
is my selection
I think if you weigh the factors you could reach a determination as to which camp you favour

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

You're overpaying, but it's not drop your pants overpaying so at the very worst 6.8 x 6 would work for me but it doesn't feel very good.

You almost don't want to know how good or bad he may be with this lack of start to the season. It's like paying for roll of the dice.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
Still think there's a good possibility he signs for 1 year on Nov. 30th and then signs an extension Jan. 1st. For all we know, they've already agreed on everything and we just have to wait. We pay him a lot this year because we have the cap space, then he will be more willing to settle for a long term deal at a lower AAV.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Still think there's a good possibility he signs for 1 year on Nov. 30th and then signs an extension Jan. 1st. For all we know, they've already agreed on everything and we just have to wait. We pay him a lot this year because we have the cap space, then he will be more willing to settle for a long term deal at a lower AAV.

Then everyone is going to want some crafty shady business dealings. Not a good idea.

Reactions: NiftyMits

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

That’s a fair offer x6 years imo but I don’t think they leafs are offering that, if they are then this all falls back onto nylander either being greedy or refusing anything but a 8 year deal

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Team Resolution.

I want Nylander signed or traded by December 1st.
The longer this goes on, the less you feel like part of the team.
I would like the team that is heading into the playoffs to gel and bond by April.
Also to be able to address any other needs at the same time.
Having Nylander miss the entire year only to do the same thing next year is not good IMO.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
That’s a fair offer x6 years imo but I don’t think they leafs are offering that, if they are then this all falls back onto nylander either being greedy or refusing anything but a 8 year deal

It's not fair, it's an overpay. Pasta is a better player.

Reactions: hamzarocks

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
William Nylander is an individual, while Kyle Dubas represents the team.

That’s not a fair way to look at it, insinuating that if you support nylander you don’t support the team. You can do both, until I find out for sure that dubas isn’t lowballing and nylander isn’t over the top asking I’ll stick with both slight lean nylander

Reactions: Eb

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
So when is the lock-out? Apparently, before the 20-21 season?

If we only knew what the Leafs discounted (because Shanny said so) contract offer was ...

If you structured the deal to pay in mostly upfront signing bonus during the lock-out year(s) maybe that would be enough? Getting paid not to play for a year is better than not getting 8 million for that lock-out year.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Team Resolution.

I would like the team that is heading into the playoffs to gel and bond by April.
Having Nylander miss the entire year only to do the same thing next year is not good IMO.

He won't make more money sitting the year. We can just park him and he will be left with lofty expectation that nobody will pay and no other potential league willing to pay even close to what he gets here.

To sum it up, he and his agent are in idiot territory assuming we have offered the same as comparable players.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Team Chaos....I’m semi-retired and don’t have much to do between now and Christmas so a little entertainment is welcome.
Especially if they continue to be boring on the ice

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I'm on Team Go Leafs GO! Whatever is best for the team. At this point in this specific case I'm thinking what is best for the team is to trade Nylander for a D of as close to as equal value as you can get.

I think Willie has burned his bridges in Toronto.

Not going to vote in your poll given the options as presented.
agree with the bolded, as someone else posted, it would be a shit show as soon as William had an off game. Dubas just has to wait until he gets a good trade offer to make a trade. Or William can just hand in an offersheet. That would move things along.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
For the record, I would pay Nylander 10M a season. But this is a cap league. That’s not possible.

6.8 x 6 or 4 x 4 or sorry bud.

That's a weird combo of slight overpay and massive underpay.

6 years is the one term that should be fairly easy to iron out.

Cap adjusted:
Gaudreau .99 Pts/game 30 goals = 7.3x6
Pastrnak .93Pts/game 34 goals = 7.07x6
Forsberg .78 Pts game 33 goals =6.5x6
Drouin .73 Pts/game 21 goals =5.99x6

Nylanders .74/22 should slot him between Drouin and Forsberg. I get being contentious over years 7 and 8, those are hard to value, but a 6 year should be a slam dunk. Anything starting with a 6 could be classified as "fair"

I've completely come off using the Ehlers contract as a comparable, not because of any nonsense about "1 60 point season" or "signed early", but because comparing across all that group of wingers he signed a pretty bad contract for himself. he should have been in the 6.2-6.3 range on a 6 year, with the 7th year skewing that higher.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eb

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Tough to be on any side without knowing facts (that probably aren't coming...at least any time soon). I'm a Leaf fan, and a fan of the players on that condition. I want the team to be able to sign good contracts. I also understand this is a business in addition to being a game.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Tough to be on any side without knowing facts (that probably aren't coming...at least any time soon). I'm a Leaf fan, and a fan of the players on that condition. I want the team to be able to sign good contracts. I also understand this is a business in addition to being a game.

Not being on the team side automatically assumes the team has not offered fair compensation. Do you believe Dubas is low balling or trying to cheat him?

It's pretty clear cut honestly. No idea why anyone would take C, teams use comparables to make offer, they study it.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Team Resolution.

For Nylander to miss the entire season would be a ridiculous miscalculation on his part. Whatever his reasons that is $6M down the tubes (5M maybe if he latches on to the KHL). Then he would actually need to be overpaid by a million on his eventual NHL deal just to break even. Zero chance he forfeits two seasons unless he wins the KHL scoring title and he gets a raise to $5+ over there, but the Leafs still retain his rights so they remain his only conduit to the bigger NHL money. I have heard that he doesn't want a bridge because of uncertainty about the next CBA and if true, the same would apply to any unscheduled detour to the KHL.

I don't believe Dubas put less than $6.3M per on the table and I don't believe Willie's ask has come down close to $7 but we need a real number to be leaked by either side (unless the $8M floating around for so long was actually leaked by the Leafs and not Dreger's cat)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad