Friedman: Nylander and Theodore updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
That doesn’t fit the narrative that the two sides are not in the same ballpark which has been consistently reported. That would be easy to settle upon 6X6.5 which most think is fair.
The most consistent thing reported has really been that nobody actually has any clue what's going on. Details have been kept stupidly quite which has lead to a lot of speculation and guess work. Logically this really shouldn't have been a hard negotiation though Nylander has some very obvious comparables in the 6-6.5 range.

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
One day he'll have something to say regarding Nylander based on actual information. Unfortunately that day is yet to arrive.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
My point is I don't think Nylander wants to sign a long-term deal until Matthews signs his. I don't think the Leafs want to offer a bridge deal because they know Nylander's cost will only go up. They want to lock all these players down now.

Ok, fair enough.

A bridge deal might be the solution. Obviously that's what happened with Morrissey/Nurse when negotiations on a long-term deal weren't working.

Long-term deal is ideal for the Leafs, but a bridge deal is still fine. It gives the Leafs a few years to see how their blueline develops, and see if they do still need a legit upgrade there. With the addition of Tavares, we have the flexibility to move a big piece up front.

If Nylander after the bridge deal prices himself out of Toronto, or if Liljegren/Sandin/etc don't develop as hoped, we can move him in a deal to improve the blueline.

And I'm saying that as a big fan of Nylander, I bought a Nylander jersey last year rather than a Marner or Matthews one. But the team comes first, and if it makes sense to move him, then the Leafs should do that (and a bridge deal makes that a lot more likely IMO).

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Toronto writer on xm doday said a bridge is his best option this way in 2 years both Matthews and marner get signed and then he can see where he would slot in. he doesn't want to to get pain 6aav if the other 2 are coming in at around 9 and 11 aav. bridge at around 3.25 for 2 years is his best option.

Reactions: TMLeafs17

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Well sure, but Draisaitl is widely considered to be overpaid (plus is a centre plus had a 77 point season when he signed). ~60 point winger RFAs coming directly off their ELC get ~6-6.3M on a long-term deal. If Nylander is asking for 7M+, he IS being unreasonable.

If that's what he wants, he should go after a bridge deal, and try and prove that he's worth that money.

One thing to note though is that Nylander's agent, Lewis Gross, took Gaudreau and Krug RFA negotiations to the end of September/start of October. So this might mostly be the agent, and not the player.

Pastrnak got 6.67 coming off of one 70 point season (not close before)

That % of the cap today would equal 7mil.

Forsberg got 6mil after 2 60 point seasons

That % of the cap today would equal 6.5 mil, and going by your argument Forsberg is widely considered to be underpaid.

From purely a numbers perspective, Nylander "deserves" somewhere between 6.5-7m.

Assuming he thinks he can improve , and you guys think he doesnt cap at a 60 point player. Settling for less than 6.5 would be taking a discount.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
They'll let him sit into the season if Willy wants to be that much of selfish baby. No caving from Dubas; it would set a bad precedent. Leafs are deep at RW so I don't see them losing many games because Nylander isn't playing.
All part of negoiation tactics bud, don't sweat the small things. Nylander still a good kid too.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Honestly, cannot think of a quality RHD who may be or become available for Nylander... maybe Carolina would move someone but idk if Faulk is good enough.
I'm only a fan but I'd be super pissed if Faulk is all Dubas could get in return for Nylander.
Like lose all faith in his abilities, pissed.

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
Really makes you wonder what exactly Nylander is being offered/wants. The market is pretty set that it should be 6-6.5 for 5 or 6 years.

No doubt, but this is Michael Nylander's son so that has to be taken into account. I think the Leafs will get something done with him eventually though.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Pastrnak got 6.67 coming off of one 70 point season (not close before)

That % of the cap today would equal 7mil.

Forsberg got 6mil after 2 60 point seasons

That % of the cap today would equal 6.5 mil, and going by your argument Forsberg is widely considered to be underpaid.

From purely a numbers perspective, Nylander "deserves" somewhere between 6.5-7m.

Assuming he thinks he can improve , and you guys think he doesnt cap at a 60 point player. Settling for less than 6.5 would be taking a discount.

Forsberg was also a 26 and 33 goal scorer and was #1 in points on his team in back-to-back years. Nylander's career high is 22 goals, and he had the benefit of playing with Matthews. You get more if you're the leader on your line (and thus more likely to be inflating your linemates stats) vs #2 on your line (and thus more likely to have your stats inflated).

Pastrnak like you said was coming off a 70 point season (and again, 34 goals).

Ehlers is the best comparable, and his contract kicks in this year for 6M. Larkin also just signed for 6.1M after a 60+ point season, as a centre and the #1 scorer on his team without the benefit of playing with a Matthews calibre player.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Elliot Friedman on Sportsnet 650

I will post the link to podcaat as soon as sportsnet puts it up.

Re : Theodore.

Vegas has given him 2 offers 1 bridge and 1 long term. Theodore camp is no pleased with either.

Re: William Nylander

2 camps not even close or in same ballpark. He also expressed that as of yesterday the word is Toronto still isnt actively looking to trade Nylander but things change in a hurry and he might not have the most up to date info on the situation.

I really don't understand why Theodore's crew think they're entitled to more than what the other RFAs are getting. He has a high potential cap but he didn't have the numbers to deserve higher than a short 3.5m per contract.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Forsberg was also a 26 and 33 goal scorer and was #1 in points on his team in back-to-back years. Nylander's career high is 22 goals, and he had the benefit of playing with Matthews. You get more if you're the leader on your line (and thus more likely to be inflating your linemates stats) vs #2 on your line (and thus more likely to have your stats inflated).

Pastrnak like you said was coming off a 70 point season (and again, 34 goals).

Ehlers is the best comparable, and his contract kicks in this year for 6M. Larkin also just signed for 6.1M after a 60+ point season, as a centre and the #1 scorer on his team without the benefit of playing with a Matthews calibre player.

The 70 point season was one time though, and previously had 20 point seasons..

Ehlers also only had one 60 point season with one 38 point season previously. That extra 60 points cannot be ignored.

Larkin also had one 60 point season after getting only 45. Like i said, that extra 60 cannot be ignored. he "deserves" somewhere around 6.5-7. Unless if he is conceding to being the 4th best player on his team. You guys may think so, but in his mind he may not. He clearly is the 4th best player. BUT he's doesn't deserve 2.5 less than Marner and up to 5 on Matthews. If Matthews gets his 11-12 and Marner gets 8-9. Nylander getting 6 wouldnt feel fair.

Givememoneyback

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 10, 2007
Not knocking Nylander as a player, but I think Toronto has a strong enough top-six to trade him, acquire nice pieces for the future, and not have much if any of a drop off next year.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Nylander has a lot more to lose by holding out. I don't blame him for wanting a big pay day, but after landing Tavares, and with even higher profile players needing extensions next year (in Marner and Matthews), he's gotta realize his best bet is sign a 2 year bridge and gain arbitration rights at the end of that deal. If Matthews and Marner get long term deals in that time, but he produces on par with them (or close to), he has 2 perfect comparables from his own team to use in arbitration.

2 years, 9.5 mil total (4.75 per). Small sacrifice short term for a bigger pay day later. I think this gets done before October.

Reactions: ANDI P IS CUTE

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
This is an odd report became the last time Elliott was on TV he said neither the team nor the players camp was saying anything.

If that's true and neither the team nor the players camp wis saying anything how does he have this information? The two reports seem to contridict themselves

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Leafs hold all the cards, they can wait him out, they can trade him or he can play in Europe.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Nylander has a lot more to lose by holding out. I don't blame him for wanting a big pay day, but after landing Tavares, and with even higher profile players needing extensions next year (in Marner and Matthews), he's gotta realize his best bet is sign a 2 year bridge and gain arbitration rights at the end of that deal. If Matthews and Marner get long term deals in that time, but he produces on par with them (or close to), he has 2 perfect comparables from his own team to use in arbitration.

2 years, 9.5 mil total (4.75 per). Small sacrifice short term for a bigger pay day later. I think this gets done before October.

A 2 year bridge deal is terrible for the Leafs. They need to avoid bridging him or their hands could be tied needing to trade him after the bridge deal is over

Reactions: Sundinisagod
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad