Player Discussion Nylander After the Contract

What was the right contract?

• Total voters

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Reading some of these comments makes you wonder why anyone would want to play in Toronto. You have a game breaker, 40 goal, 90+ point player who was underpaid on his previous contract who might only be overpaid for at most 2 years of his next contract who also gave the team full term (something us fans were constantly complaining about how we can’t get our star players on 8 year deals) and we just try and nitpick every little thing…

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
You are aware that he has 4 leafs behind him and that if he touches the puck the game is called back to a faceoff in the defensive zone, right? Cant believe the amount of hate arguably our best player throughout this season is getting from own "fans".
He didn't need to touch the puck just engage enough to disrupt things. Gliding to the bench like he did was terrible.

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
Sheldon and the Leafs are hilarious. I have no update on Nylander, I have no update on goaltending.. I have no update on the lineup. I have no update on what I had for breakfast.

Good thing is it is only a matter of time this guy gets fired.
I've heard all this talk somewhere before, I can't confirm or deny where

1713797413250.png

• Haha
Reactions: ToneDog

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
You ever get in trouble at work?

Boss sends you home? Hints your job may be in jeopardy? So the next time you go to work you bust your ass off because you know you're in the dog house?

That's what this sounds like to me.

It's called arriving at a conclusion based on the evidence presented before you.

If that's what projecting is then that's exactly what I'm doing. Because unless he misses tonight's game to injury too then absolutely I believe he got benched. And there is nothing anyone, including Keefe or Nylander themselves, could say to make me change my mind.

I'll stick to my guns on this one.

Because a) it was the last game of the season he gave up on the play resulting in the goal against; and b) benching him in the regular season at that point would have been rewarding him.

Edit: the fact that was the game winning goal might have had something to do with it too.
Cutting off your nose to spite your face is so Leafy and dumb. Game #83 is not the the time to bench him for floating. That should have been done every time he did it in the season.

Then again it is possible that Tre and Shanny are butt hurt after being swindled by Nylander for $92m. That my friends is on them. Many of us said he was not worth much more than $9m.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Reading some of these comments makes you wonder why anyone would want to play in Toronto. You have a game breaker, 40 goal, 90+ point player who was underpaid on his previous contract who might only be overpaid for at most 2 years of his next contract who also gave the team full term (something us fans were constantly complaining about how we can’t get our star players on 8 year deals) and we just try and nitpick every little thing…

I find the reaction to the injury to be particularly odd. Folks are just making up things in their heads and getting mad at those hypotheticals.

Admittedly the team hasn't done anyone favors by keeping things so secretive, though I suppose they wouldn't be the first team to not want to publicly disclose details of a players health in the postseason

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I find the reaction to the injury to be particularly odd. Folks are just making up things in their heads and getting mad at those hypotheticals.

Admittedly the team hasn't done anyone favors by keeping things so secretive, though I suppose they wouldn't be the first team to not want to publicly disclose details of a players health in the postseason
The secrecy kind of smells like the Perry saga. Hawks fumbled that and Leafs are fumbling this IMO.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020

If the team comes out to the media and says Nylander is nursing a hand injury, what do you think Boston out of all teams are going to do? Obviously target Nylander’s hands.

Fans just need to find something to complain about. Lol

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Cutting off your nose to spite your face is so Leafy and dumb. Game #83 is not the the time to bench him for floating. That should have been done every time he did it in the season.

Then again it is possible that Tre and Shanny are butt hurt after being swindled by Nylander for $92m. That my friends is on them. Many of us said he was not worth much more than $9m.
I still cannot understand why they signed him when they did, if they were going to offer money that no other team would be stupid enough to match why not let him keep killing it for said overpayment? Toronto has the stupidest ownership/management in the NHL bar none……..

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
If the team comes out to the media and says Nylander is nursing a hand injury, what do you think Boston out of all teams are going to do? Obviously target Nylander’s hands.

Have they said whether it is an upper or lower body injury or have then chosen not to comment? When you refuse to say upper or lower, you open the door for speculation. I heard he slept with Mitch's wife and Matty's mom. LOL.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Have they said whether it is an upper or lower body injury or have then chosen not to comment? When you refuse to say upper or lower, you open the door for speculation. I heard he slept with Mitch's wife and Matty's mom. LOL.
Too funny, but this is what happens when you don’t communicate with the media, you get Perry like conspiracy theories…….

Reactions: Jojalu

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
Sheldon and the Leafs are hilarious. I have no update on Nylander, I have no update on goaltending.. I have no update on the lineup. I have no update on what I had for breakfast.

Good thing is it is only a matter of time this guy gets fired.
What update do you want the coach to give the press exactly.

He doesn't have to tell them anything. In fact he shouldn't.

And I will say in Keefe's defense, he patiently answers every question this hockey mad market throws at him all season. Go look at his interviews. No coach has as long an interview, or as frequent in the entire league as Keefe.

Reactions: ACC1224

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Fans just need to find something to complain about.

Yep. Like I get frustration with the situation from a fans pov but there's practical reasons not to disclose if the guys knees or ankle or hand is banged up. What do folks think Marchand would do with that info lol

Reactions: TMLAM34

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
The only reason why he is not playing is bc he is injured and why would they disclose his injury or anyone injury status? This is the playoffs, you don’t want to leak anything.

Reactions: ZEBROA

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Because a) it was the last game of the season he gave up on the play resulting in the goal against; and b) benching him in the regular season at that point would have been rewarding him.

Edit: the fact that was the game winning goal might have had something to do with it too.
a) no idea why you are responding to my post with this - totally unrelated to anything in my post.

b) benching anyone who is trying for a milestone is not a reward - that's a silly comment.

No idea if the "Edit" is supposed to be in response to my post - it doesn't seem to be.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018

The funny thing is that they also complain that he seems to be the only one of the top four who never gets criticized.

(Of course the same or other posters gripe about every little mistake the other three make, along with the complaint that they never get criticized.)

Some people aren't happy unless they are miserable.

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
The funny thing is that they also complain that he seems to be the only one of the top four who never gets criticized.

(Of course the same or other posters gripe about every little mistake the other three make, along with the complaint that they never get criticized.)

Some people aren't happy unless they are miserable.
do you have any evidence of this? I think it's pretty obvious to most Nylander gets criticized either equally if not more relative to his performance compared to the rest of the top 4. I haven't seen people say Nylander escapes criticism more than the rest of them. If anything, Tavares escapes criticism relative to his play the most.

Reactions: notDatsyuk

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
do you have any evidence of this? I think it's pretty obvious to most Nylander gets criticized either equally if not more relative to his performance compared to the rest of the top 4. I haven't seen people say Nylander escapes criticism more than the rest of them. If anything, Tavares escapes criticism relative to his play the most.
I think he gets criticized more than the other three, and often with no justification (as with the others), but there are certainly a few posters who say that.

Just from my observation, Matty gets (justifiably) less criticism, and JT also gets less, although I don't know why.

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
I think he gets criticized more than the other three, and often with no justification (as with the others), but there are certainly a few posters who say that.

Just from my observation, Matty gets (justifiably) less criticism, and JT also gets less, although I don't know why.
among all the criticism I've seen against Nylander, both what seems reasonable and what seems ridiculous I've never seen anyone say he doesn't get enough criticism compared to the other 3. I imagine if there are a few posters who say that it's very few and far between

Reactions: Jojalu

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
He sure does. As the second best player on the team, it is expected.
Mitch Marner non-existent in 2 playoff games so far. But guess what, Matthews just had his best playoff game with a goal and two assists and the game winner. All with Mitch on the bench.

Domi makes a play on Matthews game winner. Bertuzzi scores, gets called back. Tavares scores. Where is Mitch and what is he doing other than NOT covering Pasta in the slot and allowing a cross-crease pass on the Bruins PP goal in the 1st. sucks defensively and offensively.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Mitch Marner non-existent in 2 playoff games so far. But guess what, Matthews just had his best playoff game with a goal and two assists and the game winner. All with Mitch on the bench.

Domi makes a play on Matthews game winner. Bertuzzi scores, gets called back. Tavares scores. Where is Mitch and what is he doing other than NOT covering Pasta in the slot and allowing a cross-crease pass on the Bruins PP goal in the 1st. sucks defensively and offensively.
Leafs won. Marner wasnt great. For some, the second one is the greater cause for celebration.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad