Player Discussion Nylander After the Contract

What was the right contract?

• Total voters

Thornbury

Dec 29, 2019
Glad I missed game 1 but Nylander being out is weird. If there was ANY potential issues in the regular season wtf was he playing for? Especially after seeing how ineffective he looked..... Should have rested him the past 2 or so games.
Exactly, it's a bizarre situation and we may never learn the full story behind what the deal was.

killer1980

Sep 15, 2014
Kirkland Lake
If a player doesn't play and play hard in the playoffs when he's got some discomfort then I don't want him on my team. Can you imagine, Tom Wilson, any Tkachuk or McDavid not play after feeling some discomfort. Bobby Baun played and scored with a broken leg for crissake!. Gimme a break, something doesn't make sense here.

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
If a player doesn't play and play hard in the playoffs when he's got some discomfort then I don't want him on my team. Can you imagine, Tom Wilson, any Tkachuk or McDavid not play after feeling some discomfort. Bobby Baun played and scored with a broken leg for crissake!. Gimme a break, something doesn't make sense here.
They must think one of two things...

1. He will be 100% for game 2 if he misses game 1.

2. He is too hurt to play and much worse than they're saying.

MilkofthePoppy

Oct 27, 2022
In or out he won't make a lick of difference. Guy's been coasting since he signed his contract. Like I have said a thousand times before, we should have used him used him as our own rental and cut him loose at the end of the year. I bet you no other team would offer such an obscene amount of money for this type of player.

Reactions: ToneDog

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
Nylander has played every single playoff game since he joined the team and hasn't missed a game for injury in what feels like forever. This is on top of being the only core member to improve come playoff time

If he can play, he plays. Clearly something is up

NJG

Jun 27, 2015
Hopefully, he's back. Just stack the top two lines and stop messing around.

Bertuzzi - Matthews - Marner
Robertson - Domi - Nylander
Dewar/McMann - Tavares - Jarnkrok
Knies - Kampf - Reaves

PP1:
Nylander - Bertuzzi - Domi
Marner - Matthews

PP2:
Jarnkrok - Tavares - Robertson
Liljegren - Rielly

Last edited:

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
In or out he won't make a lick of difference. Guy's been coasting since he signed his contract. Like I have said a thousand times before, we should have used him used him as our own rental and cut him loose at the end of the year. I bet you no other team would offer such an obscene amount of money for this type of player.
150%. Should have offered him 9.5x8 on June 21st and told him to take it or leave it.

horner

May 22, 2007
Hopefully, he's back. Just stack the top two lines and stop messing around.

Bertuzzi - Matthews - Marner
Robertson - Domi - Nylander
Dewar/McMann - Tavares - Jarnkrok
Knies - Kampf - Reaves

PP1:
Nylander - Bertuzzi - Domi
Marner - Matthews

PP2:
Jarnkrok - Tavares - Robertson
Liljegren - Rielly
He had better be back or there someone will ne on the hot seat.
For the coaching staff not to have figured out what something was wrong with him the way he was playing is bad.
We all new in the past 4 games he was blending in .

I remember the game where he got hit at the blueline did he not get checked out .

Reactions: arso40

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Nylander has played every single playoff game since he joined the team and hasn't missed a game for injury in what feels like forever. This is on top of being the only core member to improve come playoff time

Right

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
He had better be back or there someone will ne on the hot seat.
For the coaching staff not to have figured out what something was wrong with him the way he was playing is bad.
We all new in the past 4 games he was blending in .

I remember the game where he got hit at the blueline did he not get checked out .
I heard if he can play, he will.

Reactions: arso40

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
I feel stupid thinking this thread could not be any worse.

The tinfoil is thick on this one.

If a player that almost never is hurt aint on the first and maby second playoff game , there will be a reason. A reason that probably will not have anything to do with aliens, flat earth or rigged elections.

A player always want to play. There is a whole team with experts surronding these players. If they can or cant find signs that they think is a reason to stop the player or not, from a game or two, it is on them. Because as i said a player always want to play. So the decision is not always up to the player (and thats a good thing).

Dasher29

Apr 13, 2023
I feel stupid thinking this thread could not be any worse.

The tinfoil is thick on this one.

If a player that almost never is hurt aint on the first and maby second playoff game , there will be a reason. A reason that probably will not have anything to do with aliens, flat earth or rigged elections.

A player always want to play. There is a whole team with experts surronding these players. If they can or cant find signs that they think is a reason to stop the player or not, from a game or two, it is on them. Because as i said a player always want to play. So the decision is not always up to the player (and thats a good thing).
Might be one of the only level headed/intelligent posts in the last 6-7 pages. I've never seen a player get so much crap for being injured or sick. I don't understand how some people go straight to conspiracy instead of smacking 2 brain cells together? I guess the hate for the name Nylander is too strong in some people to think clearly... though I'm not shocked either. It's kind of embarrassing.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Nylander wasn't playing through anything or got hurt in an off ice activity, he just woke up not feeling great. He felt stiff.
In the skate today... he stayed for 56 minutes MUCH LONGER THAN HIS TEAMMATES

You ever get in trouble at work?

Boss sends you home? Hints your job may be in jeopardy? So the next time you go to work you bust your ass off because you know you're in the dog house?

That's what this sounds like to me.

"My take on this is that Nylander got benched for dogging it to end the season." -- I guess I really do have poor comprehension. Dang.

It's called projection. Someone believes something so much that they think it's only logical explanation because that's what they would have done.

I do apologize for angering you with this though ruaware41.

It's called arriving at a conclusion based on the evidence presented before you.

If that's what projecting is then that's exactly what I'm doing. Because unless he misses tonight's game to injury too then absolutely I believe he got benched. And there is nothing anyone, including Keefe or Nylander themselves, could say to make me change my mind.

I'll stick to my guns on this one.

Wouldn't it have made a lot more sense to bench him for the last couple of regular season games, to keep him from hitting 100, and have him motivated (and playing) in the playoffs?

Because a) it was the last game of the season he gave up on the play resulting in the goal against; and b) benching him in the regular season at that point would have been rewarding him.

Edit: the fact that was the game winning goal might have had something to do with it too.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3blizzard4

Farsailor

Aug 4, 2018
Because a) it was the last game of the season he gave up on the play resulting in the goal against; and b) benching him in the regular season at that point would have been rewarding him.

Edit: the fact that was the game winning goal might have had something to do with it too.
You are aware that he has 4 leafs behind him and that if he touches the puck the game is called back to a faceoff in the defensive zone, right? Cant believe the amount of hate arguably our best player throughout this season is getting from own "fans".

Reactions: notDatsyuk

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Exactly, it's a bizarre situation and we may never learn the full story behind what the deal was.
Personally all the cloak and dagger BS causes more harm than good, this reminds me of Chicago staying mum on why they turfed Perry, gives opportunity to crazy speculation and innuendo…….

Exactly……

Completely agree……

Last year’s Morgan Rielly says hi…………

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
You are aware that he has 4 leafs behind him and that if he touches the puck the game is called back to a faceoff in the defensive zone, right? Cant believe the amount of hate arguably our best player throughout this season is getting from own "fans".

He actually delayed enough so the bench could get changed. If he touched they puck right away it gets blown down, even the opposition player stood there waiting from him to take the highsticking call.

Perhaps some posters haven't watched how inept the bench management has been on this team? Do we forget the 2 on nothing where the two players were standing about 7 feet outside the Leafs crease passing back and forth with no Leafs in the zone?

If nothing else, we can call this team comically entertaining.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
150%. Should have offered him 9.5x8 on June 21st and told him to take it or leave it.
I would have traded him for whatever you could have gotten at the deadline, not resigned him mid season……..

Hard to believe nobody in the media has found out what is going on.

Higher cap. A 4.5m raise is laughable and only happens in Leafsland.
Which is why they never win…….

Reactions: ToneDog

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
You ever get in trouble at work?

Boss sends you home? Hints your job may be in jeopardy? So the next time you go to work you bust your ass off because you know you're in the dog house?

That's what this sounds like to me.

It's called arriving at a conclusion based on the evidence presented before you.

If that's what projecting is then that's exactly what I'm doing. Because unless he misses tonight's game to injury too then absolutely I believe he got benched. And there is nothing anyone, including Keefe or Nylander themselves, could say to make me change my mind.

I'll stick to my guns on this one.

And people wonder why some of Leaf Nation have had a hate on for Nylander, most selfish player to wear the blue and white that I can recall………

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad