Player Discussion Nylander After the Contract

What was the right contract?

• Total voters

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Funny thing about Willie is the free pass he gets. The last 10 games he's stopped trying, Keefe even acknowledged that he's stopped playing and doesn't care about regular season.

Correct me if I'm wrong but he's getting paid to play in all 82 games is he not? He better f***ing bring it in the playoffs otherwise it's gonna be a bloodbath in the media.
In Keefes defense, he's neutered by the big contracts with NMC's these guys have. There is nothing he can do but hope they perform.

Matthews4Calder

Nov 27, 2016
BC Western Canada
Clearly paying players for failure works. Torontos record proves that. Now lets go out, lose first round and then way overpay Marner giving him an NMC so he can float for 7 years.
Ya I agree. Management never learns. Paying Nylander what they did and watching him avoid contact is disgusting. NMC's are a joke. Team caves in to their demands and then are in a pickle trying to move someone.

Reactions: rumman

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Some perspective:

2021-22 season Huberdeau (CGY) scores 115 points for FLA as a career high. FLA trades him to CGY as part of the Tkachuk deal. CGY fans think that they've acquired the 115 point version of Huberdeau, so they celebrate Treliving like he's a GM god. Sadly they only got the 55-60 point Huberdeau. Now fans want to punt him out of town, and they love to rip Treliving (despite their short-term memory).

So is Nylander a 100 point forward? He is what he is. 100 points doesn't change anyone's opinion of him.

That being said he still had a very good season, and he's still a skilled player with or without a 100 point season.

Last edited:
Reactions: arso40

Clyde Brewer

Oct 15, 2021
A lot of comparisons with Marner here, so I will stick with that.

Nylander will be overpaid next season, there is no getting around that. However, I am really impressed with Nylander's turnover numbers. He has had 50% more takeaways than giveaways this season. That shows great poise and awareness, and I think it adds to his defensive value too.

Marner on the other hand had more giveaways than takeaways. He shows no poise and just gives the puck away every time someone comes to hit him- he does this a lot.

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
In Keefes defense, he's neutered by the big contracts with NMC's these guys have. There is nothing he can do but hope they perform.
I disagree, he can bench them, he can scratch them, he can go full Torts on them and call them out in scrums. There's a lot of things he can do outside of defending them and coddling them like they're rookies.

The fact that Willie is signed for 8 years is even more reason to DEMAND more out of him.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I disagree, he can bench them, he can scratch them, he can go full Torts on them and call them out in scrums. There's a lot of things he can do outside of defending them and coddling them like they're rookies.

The fact that Willie is signed for 8 years is even more reason to DEMAND more out of him.
You're not going to continually bench an 11m player, you'll end up out of work.
Players aren't going anywhere, Coaches can be replaced any time.

Reactions: Menzinger

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
You're not going to continually bench an 11m player, you'll end up out of work.
Players aren't going anywhere, Coaches can be replaced any time.
What do you think is gonna happen if you don't get an 11m player to play to his potential? You guessed it, you'll end up out of work.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
What do you think is gonna happen if you don't get an 11m player to play to his potential? You guessed it, you'll end up out of work.
11m players shouldn't need motivation, if they do it's better to get them to want to play for you than quit on you.

Reactions: torontoblood

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Ya I agree. Management never learns. Paying Nylander what they did and watching him avoid contact is disgusting. NMC's are a joke. Team caves in to their demands and then are in a pickle trying to move someone.

Hate NMC /NTC.. you can have a big ticket contract or a lower ticket with a NTC/NMC not both....

horner

May 22, 2007
I want a new coach next year and a new system .
Keefe's system is all out offense players leaving the zone .
A new coach will keep things tighter

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
11m players shouldn't need motivation, if they do it's better to get them to want to play for you than quit on you.

Every player needs motivation, some need more external motivation than others. you got internal and external motivators, if you are a person who needs his ass lit on fire constantly, nothing on god's green earth is going to make you internally motivated. MacKinnon, Crosby they are internally motivated, it's not often you see a coach having to light fires under their assess. Nylander who is as gifted as they come has a I dont give a s#it air about him... maybe he has a fire like no player but he does not outwardly show it, nothing Keefe can say or do to make Nylander change who he is. External motivation only lasts short term, internal never dies. Teams pay for goals not attitudes.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
He doesn't hit, but that's not the same as 'avoid contact'. He has taken more hits than Matthews, Marner, and Domi.

Reactions: arso40

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Maybe MLSE can give free tickets to 1000 Swedish fans every game. Willie seemed to play with a bit more heart in Sweden but I think he left his heart over there.
Sweden has more engaged and syncronised crowds then NHL. Even if they are way less seats in the arena. So i belive the whole team would benefit from that.

Reactions: Gilmour1996

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Clearly paying players for failure works. Torontos record proves that. Now lets go out, lose first round and then way overpay Marner giving him an NMC so he can float for 7 years.
you don't need a crystal ball to realize this will happen whether they get swept in the first round or go deep, overpaying under performers is what the Leafs do.............

rumman

Sep 10, 2008

never happen as long as Shanahan is here to protect his divas from the criticism they deserve when they mail it in..........

Farsailor

Aug 4, 2018
Funny thing about Willie is the free pass he gets. The last 10 games he's stopped trying, Keefe even acknowledged that he's stopped playing and doesn't care about regular season.
He carried the team for the majority of this regular season, maybe that is why? 🤔

• Haha

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Not exactly fitting with the current time of the thread, but Nylander has now set three back to back to back career seasons.

I'd like to see him with a couple of younger players next year.

Let them develop chemistry and future.

Matthews - marner is always going to be a thing.

Retiring Tavares - Nylander doesn't have to be.

Get him with guys with speed..and stop using him as the 1st guy you experiment with. Get a line that can build chemistry

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Hate NMC /NTC.. you can have a big ticket contract or a lower ticket with a NTC/NMC not both....
I find it puzzling that a NMC isn't being negotiated as a function of contract competiteveness. Discounts should be given a NMC. Full value and plus...none. without getting into whether Willy deserves his contract or not, most agree he is at the least near the top end of what the market will bear. It isn't personal...it's business.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad