Player Discussion Nylander After the Contract

What was the right contract?

• Total voters

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Willie had 4 games with no points before he signed. Now 3 games in a row.

1705291970189.png

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
It’s already garbage. Man hasn’t scored a goal since he put pen to paper. Guaranteed if he was still unsigned he’d have potted 3-4 this past week and his demands would be $12 million instead.
I mean you're not wrong.

I'm sure everyone has pulled out a calculator, put in the salary and divided it by the number of games, then check that with.................

Ok, I just realized I'm wasting my time and should go play pro sports...........it's not too late right? Can I be good at golf? Maybe bowling or curling?

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
The same people who said not to laud him based on 37 games now want to condemn him based on 3.

Reactions: arso40

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The same people who said not to laud him based on 37 games now want to condemn him based on 3.

I’m Team Willie all the way, but I have to say I’m extremely disappointed he went on massive point streaks all season only to hit a blip after the contract was signed…

For a guy who said 10 days ago that the difference between last year and this year is he took the foot off the gas… it just feels disappointing and par for course that of course he doesn’t step it up.

Reactions: saffronleaf

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
One day I’d like to wake up to or get a notification saying that a core piece signed for a deal we could be happy with. It’s like every team with a player comparable to our players always ALWAYS gets less or proper term

Rantanrn did, ehlers did, fiala did, Kaprizov did, Larkin did, rnh did, Connor did, forsberg did, miller did, I bet reinhart and Pettersson do too. I could go on and on

I still remember the Rielly contract, on that day, in that moment I knew it was good. Looking now, he’s easily better than nurse, Jones, Hamilton who were all comparables. The guys better than him are making more. Then you have nylander making the same as pastrnak, enough said

Reactions: saffronleaf

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
I wonder how this will turn out , right after one of his longest slumps this season .

Last edited:

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Willie had 4 games with no points before he signed. Now 3 games in a row.

View attachment 803359
He’s playing the right way the points will come I’m sure he’s sorry he couldn’t have a point in every game this year he’ll be fine and we’ll be fine second line looks good knies should be with jt next game robertson looked good but he’s probably bacc in it’s ok

Oct 18, 2010

Because anyone with sense knows 37 games in a contract year is not real. Him doing it for the entire year wouldn't make it a good deal either.

We have YEARS of evidence that shows us what this (or any) player is. As soon as he's signed he reverts to what he's always been. He's a 9-10 million dollar player at best, if he didn't accept this he should've been traded.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Don't like the deal, especially after holding out.

Don't like the deal, especially after holding out.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
One day I’d like to wake up to or get a notification saying that a core piece signed for a deal we could be happy with. It’s like every team with a player comparable to our players always ALWAYS gets less or proper term

Rantanrn did, ehlers did, fiala did, Kaprizov did, Larkin did, rnh did, Connor did, forsberg did, miller did, I bet reinhart and Pettersson do too. I could go on and on

I still remember the Rielly contract, on that day, in that moment I knew it was good. Looking now, he’s easily better than nurse, Jones, Hamilton who were all comparables. The guys better than him are making more. Then you have nylander making the same as pastrnak, enough said
Not only to we give them top dollar, we give them a ton upfront and toss in full NMC's as well. It's like we don't even try to negotiate, we just give them the absolute top of the salary range with all the trimmings.

What an embarrassment this Matthews era is turning out to be, just brutal.

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
Guys he's been bad for 3 games. That's it. Stop shitting all over our All-star and top 10 scorer (currently 6th in the NHL) because he's having a bit of a hangover.

Look at it from Willy's perspective. He just secured enough finances for him and his family for generations after having a dream start to the season when everything was up in the air and there were even media rumblings about trading him. He also went to his homeland and stole the show infront of his pops and grandma. He's put the team on his back with some clutch scoring since day 1. He's got to be feeling pretty good overall and maybe he's not as locked in and putting in the 110% effort but I'm not going to shit on him for 3 scoreless games. There's players on this team who took 3 months to score their first goal. Get a grip. He will get hot again. Judge his worth after the season. If he breaks 100 points then how can you argue for low balling the guy.

Reactions: authentic

fancy lad

Nov 22, 2021
It's so classic toronto that the guy drops off a cliff after signing that deal. so toronto.

You just have to laugh at this point.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Didn’t Nylander say he would take a discount if others did?
Guess we know the score now.
Gonna need a brinks truck for Marner now.
Seems we are always paying more to be at the same spot.
Told you Nylander wasn’t taking 9 million while the others made 11.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
He held out for every penny he could the first time, no reason to believe he wouldn't take as much as he could this time.

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019

Nor should he.

You cant compare $11M UFA Nylander to $11M RFA Mitch Marner.

Nylander is cheap compared to Mitch Money !

Reactions: notDatsyuk

Mar 26, 2010
Question, is Nylander tradable right now before his no trade kicks in on the new contact. Can he be moved before it starts.

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
Marner is going to get paid because he reached 600 points faster than any other Leaf in history. Hate on his personality and style all you want , he puts up points and he's a hometown boy. He's lived up to his pay bracket. You can't deny there's something to him being a regular pk'er and making an effort to contribute on D and round out his game. Not all elite players do that.

Reactions: ACC1224

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad