GDT: NYI vs. WSH - 7 PM

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
3rd goal aside I thought VV played really well. Was it the last game when Locker and JoeB were talking about an inside source they have who said the Caps consider Fleury an upgrade? I guess there’s always the potential that VV wilts under the bright playoff lights but I’m not sure I want to give up any significant draft capital for him with the way VV has settled in.

Mantha may be hot and cold but I feel like he’s driving play whether scoring or not. That’s what I hoped we were getting last season. I feel like he’s a big part of our resurgence and has given the second line life.

CMM, I don’t know man. I’m not convinced he’s snakebitten as much as he just may not be a guy who has finishing skills. He’s actually playing well overall but finding myself a little down on his long term prospects as anything more than a 3rd line 10-15 goal scorer.

It was Tarik during the national game. So take it for what it's worth. He also said in his 17 yrs of covering Ovie one thing he knows is that when Ovie approaches a milestone he takes things up a level, or something. In my experience that's when Ovie tends to get a little snakebitten for a few games, and the team can even struggle as they try to force the puck to him. Thankfully that milestone is gone and it's back to normal business.

RE: Mantha, they were even discussing his sneaky speed last night. His size and style make him look "lazy" but he's covering territory. And regarding his skill he's always had great hands and his hockey sense is coming out playing with tacticians on his line. 39-19-77 is a sneaky-good combo that has chemistry, imo.

When Mantha was tried on the top line I thought he would struggle because he'd be in a position to defer to Ovie, and on a line with 2 guys who always want the puck. He was also new to the team and would likely just try to fit in, and adjust. I thought he needed to be the main scoring threat on a 2nd line and this combo is pretty close to that, with NB as the perfect playmaking center to compliment him, and Oshie also adding his own swiss army knife skills. Both of those guys will look for the right play and try to make the whole better than the individuals, which is exactly what Mantha needs so he can free up to find those scoring areas and use those hands.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
It was Tarik during the national game. So take it for what it's worth. He also said in his 17 yrs of covering Ovie one thing he knows is that when Ovie approaches a milestone he takes things up a level, or something. In my experience that's when Ovie tends to get a little snakebitten for a few games, and the team can even struggle as they try to force the puck to him. Thankfully that milestone is gone and it's back to normal business.

RE: Mantha, they were even discussing his sneaky speed last night. His size and style make him look "lazy" but he's covering territory. And regarding his skill he's always had great hands and his hockey sense is coming out playing with tacticians on his line. 39-19-77 is a sneaky-good combo that has chemistry, imo.

When Mantha was tried on the top line I thought he would struggle because he'd be in a position to defer to Ovie, and on a line with 2 guys who always want the puck. He was also new to the team and would likely just try to fit in, and adjust. I thought he needed to be the main scoring threat on a 2nd line and this combo is pretty close to that, with NB as the perfect playmaking center to compliment him, and Oshie also adding his own swiss army knife skills. Both of those guys will look for the right play and try to make the whole better than the individuals, which is exactly what Mantha needs so he can free up to find those scoring areas and use those hands.
I liked Mantha up on L1 because it gives them two snipers to go along with Kuzy and because Mantha is terrific at keeping possession in the offensive zone but agree that he looked a bit too deferential up there. I’d love to see them pick up Konecny and put him on the 2nd line to add a bit more speed which moves Oshie down to the third line and creates a really balanced forward group.

Reactions: Neil Racki

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
Questions:

On our 3rd goal, Ovie snip off the FO .... would we call that a soft goal if it was scored against VV?

Are we objectively bad in the final minute of periods ... or do all fanbases think their team is bad in the final min?

Lavi get some coaching credit for having the team playing well once the roster was healthy?

Does Forsythe get some credit fore turning the PP around?

Ill hang up and listen.

Go Caps!!

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
Clutterbuck never passes up on a chance to hit a guy as hard as he can into the boards after they play the puck. Nowadays guys tend to ease off those hits, he rocked Schultz late in the 3rd.

Its not a penalty, its extra but its not a penalty what he is doing ..., and I do think you can throw a somewhat late hit on D guys playing the puck up the boards vs open ice hits

Its playoff mentality from him for a full 60 mins in the a regular season game.

Would love to see the Caps get back to finishing checks, especailyl against a team like the Iles and Clutterbuck.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Questions:

On our 3rd goal, Ovie snip off the FO .... would we call that a soft goal if it was scored against VV?

Are we objectively bad in the final minute of periods ... or do all fanbases think their team is bad in the final min?

Lavi get some coaching credit for having the team playing well once the roster was healthy?

Does Forsythe get some credit fore turning the PP around?

Ill hang up and listen.

Go Caps!!
Nope…..perfect shot.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Re: CMM’s finishing ability.

I fully remember a certain #12 when he first came up. Had a TON of scoring chances but did not finish. The next year he started finishing his chances and got better and better.

Now, I’m not saying CMM will be another Bondra. All I’m saying is the youngins sometimes take a bit to get going. Game hasn’t “slown down” for them yet.

I think it will. And soon.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
Re: CMM’s finishing ability.

I fully remember a certain #12 when he first came up. Had a TON of scoring chances but did not finish. The next year he started finishing his chances and got better and better.

Now, I’m not saying CMM will be another Bondra. All I’m saying is the youngins sometimes take a bit to get going. Game hasn’t “slown down” for them yet.

I think it will. And soon.
If McHags had McSpeed like Bondra I'd say yeah, maybe, probably?
He's beyond snakebit at this point
I appreciate he's out there trying and getting chances here and there but
Results > xResults

Think he needs a hard working offseason with a skating coach, strength coach, nutritionist, a therapist and a good dog to help get him over the hump

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Yeah I distinctly do NOT recall Bondra having a finishing problem (not so much that it stuck out glaringly like this is with CMM).

Bondra had a staying on his feet problem…but not much else. He was barely below his career average shooting percentage his rookie year in only 54 games…

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad