GDT: NYI vs. WSH - 7 PM

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Who woulda thought that game would end up being entertaining
Also nice to see an Anders Lee fail to end the game, since that guy always kills us - and tied it up with under a minute left

Reactions: Corby78

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Lol maybe he just told everybody “I got this” and went out there and Laviolette was like “shit, okay, I guess he’s got it”
Yeah I get the idea Lavi doesn’t put a lot of thought into the shootout. I mean it’s not in the playoffs, so I wouldn’t totally blame him. Maybe he does…

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
The end of the first and second we’re not decent periods
According to your subjective opinion. All 3 periods were pretty similar in terms of the advanced statistics, which are completely objective. I thought they played pretty well throughout the game and deserved to win (which they did), likely in regulation. Doesn’t always turn out that way though.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
According to your subjective opinion. All 3 periods were pretty similar in terms of the advanced statistics, which are completely objective. I thought they played pretty well throughout the game and deserved to win (which they did), likely in regulation. Doesn’t always turn out that way though.
Advanced stats are completely objective?? You mean all those “expected” this and that, “high danger” “above replacement” stuff?? Outside of the fact that that’s not true, advanced stats are really only valuable in a large context. Looking at one period isn’t how to use them. Use your eyes, we looked bad in the second.

Reactions: PlushMinus

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
I guess we're finally done pinning for Trotz
35341771_so.jpg

Reactions: searle

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
Advanced stats are completely objective?? You mean all those “expected” this and that, “high danger” “above replacement” stuff?? Outside of the fact that that’s not true, advanced stats are really only valuable in a large context. Looking at one period isn’t how to use them. Use your eyes, we looked bad in the second.
I definitely agree with that, at least they’re more telling in larger samples. Still will agree to disagree about the 2nd period. Did they give up some good chances? Yeah. But that happens. I thought they were still in control of the play.

Reactions: Corby78

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
I’m not gonna quote people but those claiming we would lose when it was 1-1 or 2-1 with a whole third period, cmon. Yeah the team hasn’t been great but we have played better lately. Show a little more faith.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
3rd goal aside I thought VV played really well. Was it the last game when Locker and JoeB were talking about an inside source they have who said the Caps consider Fleury an upgrade? I guess there’s always the potential that VV wilts under the bright playoff lights but I’m not sure I want to give up any significant draft capital for him with the way VV has settled in.

Mantha may be hot and cold but I feel like he’s driving play whether scoring or not. That’s what I hoped we were getting last season. I feel like he’s a big part of our resurgence and has given the second line life.

CMM, I don’t know man. I’m not convinced he’s snakebitten as much as he just may not be a guy who has finishing skills. He’s actually playing well overall but finding myself a little down on his long term prospects as anything more than a 3rd line 10-15 goal scorer.

Reactions: Ovie's Neighbor

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
3rd goal aside I thought VV played really well. Was it the last game when Locker and JoeB were talking about an inside source they have who said the Caps consider Fleury an upgrade? I guess there’s always the potential that VV wilts under the bright playoff lights but I’m not sure I want to give up any significant draft capital for him with the way VV has settled in.

Mantha may be hot and cold but I feel like he’s driving play whether scoring or not. That’s what I hoped we were getting last season. I feel like he’s a big part of our resurgence and has given the second line life.

CMM, I don’t know man. I’m not convinced he’s snakebitten as much as he just may not be a guy who has finishing skills. He’s actually playing well overall but finding myself a little down on his long term prospects as anything more than a 3rd line 10-15 goal scorer.
I feel like that may have been Tarik against EDM on the TNT broadcast, but I’m not sure.

Definitely have been impressed by Mantha too. He’s creating chances and making plays with the puck. Starting to get rewarded for it too.

As for CMM, the lack of finishing has to be concerning, but the number of chances he’s creating is extremely encouraging (especially considering the lack of ice time and not really playing much with top guys). You have to think the finishing will come at some point due to what he’s showed in the OHL and AHL, but it’s not a given. I could easily see the dam for him breaking though and starting to consistently provide secondary scoring. He’s gotta be gripping the stick pretty tight right now. Hopefully when he pots his next one he can relax a little and start burying.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad