Confirmed Trade: [NYI/VAN] Bo Horvat (25% retained) for 2023 1st round pick (top 12 protected), Anthony Beauvillier, and Aatu Raty

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
Their best player is Elias Pettersson.

This draft is Unusually strong and deep in round one. The pick will be a player likely to be a top four D or top six F with proper development.
I understand that and don't entirely disagree. However, at 18 or so, which is very possible, you would have about a 50% chance of that panning out, perhaps less.

With Boeser (edit: whoops, Horvat) as the chip I would not be gambling on A/ The isles pick being 13 at best. or B/ The player chosen with that pick having a high probability of being a top 6 or top pairing player. I would have expected Boeser to garner more certainty than that.

My same logic applies to Raty. He is not a sure fire top 6 or top pairing prospect.

If I'm dealing with a 50 goal scorer who has playoff pedigree, I'm targeting a guaranteed top 6 or top 2 player, not a B prospect + a 15-20 pick. And I'm not overvaluing Boeser, I think the market is always there for these types of players in their prime.

Last edited:

Tom Hardy

Dec 10, 2018
Canucks did the right thing, cash in your chips while you can. The team who signs Horvat to what he wants will likely regret it considering he's having an outlier of a year.
It does not surprise me that Horvat is having his best year scoring wise. He is reaching his peak years at 27 years old and he has always been a player that is looking to improve where he can. Depending on chemistry, Horvat is going to be a valuable piece for the Islanders. I wish him well; but as a Canuck fan, not too well. ;)

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Get really mixed feelings about this trade as I am both Isles and Vancouver fan. I Hope Beau does well in Vancouver as he could use a fresh start to regain his top form. If Bo resigns at a reasonable contract with Isles he does help them strongly in one area - PP.

Yes, hate to lose Raty as well as this year's 1st, even top 12 protected as it is such a deep draft. I guess Isles is passing that stage of watching their prospects develop fast enough to significantly improve the goal production. Raty will produce no doubt down in the near future but the owner/management and some of the fans are losing patience.

Was hoping Isles have a chance to draft Barlow in this year's draft. It does not look like that will happen now. I just wondering how Isles going to manage the cap once resign Bo with Wally and Sorokin's contracts coming up and need to ensure there is space to resign Dobson when his current contract expires. Someone else will have to be traded either next season or the following.
Still have a chance. He’s going top12. If the isles are in the top12 we keep the pick

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
I understand that and don't entirely disagree. However, at 18 or so, which is very possible, you would have about a 50% chance of that panning out, perhaps less.

With Boeser as the chip I would not be gambling on A/ The isles pick being 13 at best. or B/ The player chosen with that pick having a high probability of being a top 6 or top pairing player. I would have expected Boeser to garner more certainty than that.

My same logic applies to Raty. He is not a sure fire top 6 or top pairing prospect.

If I'm dealing with a 50 goal scorer who has playoff pedigree, I'm targeting a guaranteed top 6 or top 2 player, not a B prospect + a 15-20 pick. And I'm not overvaluing Boeser, I think the market is always there for these types of players in their prime.
Who is the 50 goal scorer?

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
Beauvilier is completely useless to a team that is looking to rebuild. Even if you don't think you're rebuilding (which would be a mistake) there are too many holes in Van's roster than to think about playoffs next year. So why add him?

His value is not what he will do for you on the ice between now and next April, it's what he will return at this deadline or next so I wouldn't get too comfortable with him.
Hey I'm not looking to hype up Beauvillier here. I fully realize he was an expendable piece from the Islanders point of view. I'm just saying I think he's better than a 4th liner at least. Plus, as I said earlier in this thread I don't expect the roster player coming back to be much better than a Beauvillier. I don't see why the Islanders would bother trading for Horvat if they had to give up a really good roster player + Raty and the mid 1st. That wouldn't make sense. We were never going to get a Brock Nelson, Oliver Wahlstrom or Noah Dobson or someone like that as the roster player coming back.

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Horvat's pace. (Boeser was a typo, was jumping between the Boeser trade thread)
50 is a bit of a stretch to label someone as when they’re far ahead of their career pace. I do believe he has raised his game since about the Boudreau hire and he is better than whatever someone may say be it 55 or 60 pointer.

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
Hey I'm not looking to hype up Beauvillier here. I fully realize he was an expendable piece from the Islanders point of view. I'm just saying I think he's better than a 4th liner at least. Plus, as I said earlier in this thread I don't expect the roster player coming back to be much better than a Beauvillier. I don't see why the Islanders would bother trading for Horvat if they had to give up a really good roster player + Raty and the mid 1st. That wouldn't make sense. We were never going to get a Brock Nelson, Oliver Wahlstrom or Noah Dobson or someone like that as the roster player coming back.
Sure my point was only that you don't even want serviceable roster players coming back, you want futures so there's no sense even mentioning Beauvilier's utility. The same goes if it was Brock Nelson... Not remotely useful to the Canucks and their plans.

Unless of course you think you can rebuild on the fly, which is a very dangerous proposition for a team with no prospect depth and a lot of roster holes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad