Confirmed with Link: [NYI/TOR] Pierre Engvall for 2024 3rd round pick

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
They just do different things. Fasching has been pretty good since coming up and I think he's been important during this stretch. Clutterbuck can come back in, it's just a matter of who comes out and what the coaching staff is looking for.
I don't disagree at all. I think you take Holmstrom or Bailey out and put Fasching on the third line with Pageau. When Barzal is back you take the best of Engvall, Bailey or Holmstrom on L3 opposite Fasching. At least that's what I'd do.

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
Tom Fitzgerald, GM of the Devils, is on record saying he thinks it takes most players about ~20 games to get situated with a new team and system. Also wants the trade deadline to be moved up (but I digress)
I tend to agree. Each of the Islanders most recent deadline acquisitions, mostly from the devils, looked a little lost at first. Turned it on in the playoffs. Which coincides with around the 20 game mark.

Reactions: 19 in a row

ChurchOfMatthews

Goldmember
Oct 13, 2016
Plevna
After 3 games, I'm not seeing anything.

He's playing overly careful and hasn't done a thing that stood out. He doesn't look like a very confident player. I'm not seeing shots, passes, or even defensive coverage that has me thinking he can help here.

It's a different situation, of couse, but I think we all saw a heck of a lot more out of Durandeau in his 3 games than we have with Engvall, who seems to be a step behind in just about all situations.

You pretty much summed up Engvall's career in Toronto perfectly. He was pretty much just taking up a roster spot. If you guys could get his 6'5 frame banging out there the guy would be a force. Engvall is just one of those players that just doesn't have "it".
You pretty much summed up Engvall's career in Toronto perfectly. He was pretty much just taking up a roster spot. If you guys could get his 6'5, 220lb frame banging out there the guy would be a force. Engvall is just one of those players that just doesn't have "it".

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
Bypassing the fact he is huge but soft for such a huge guy he has some skills the isles needed. Nice pick up by old man Lou. With any luck and hard work on his part the isles may of picked up a 2nd line winger.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Bypassing the fact he is huge but soft for such a huge guy he has some skills the isles needed. Nice pick up by old man Lou. With any luck and hard work on his part the isles may of picked up a 2nd line winger.
It was said plenty by Isles fans but it's true, we have a lot of 'grinders'.

Engvalls skill set can be frustrating when you want to see him hit and bang but on this team his speed is a breath of fresh air to mix in. Also he covers a lot of ice, still uses his frame to stick check.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
It was said plenty by Isles fans but it's true, we have a lot of 'grinders'.

Engvalls skill set can be frustrating when you want to see him hit and bang but on this team his speed is a breath of fresh air to mix in. Also he covers a lot of ice, still uses his frame to stick check.

Agreed. We desperately needed speed in the lineup. I would like to resign Engvall. Gotta keep adding more speed to the forward group.

Reactions: MattMartin

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
He's the type of player Isles should be adding. He's a Brock Nelson type of player. Has size but plays a skill game. As long as expectations are he is not going to be a hitter or fighter, he can be a reasonable signing. Isles have other guys that can fight or hit. You need a little bit of everything on a team. Also maybe he can show Holmstrom the ropes being that he is a little bit older and developed. Not the worst acquisition for a throwaway 3rd rounder that may or may not even make the NHL.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
I think the Leaf's organization had so many offensive minded player options they could easily afford to give up an Engvall. That team needs more Islander type players to be balanced. I think Engvall is going to be worth a lot more to this organization than he ever would have playing for the Leafs IF he keeps his current play up. I think the Isles lucked out in this trade. One Leaf fan was saying that he would have preferred they moved Kerfoot instead of Engvall but Engall was the better player with a more palatable contract so he was the one who they were able to move or garner any interest in to find cap space.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Engvall also made a nice little pass to Palmieri on Brock's first goal - he didn't get an assist, but it lead directly to the goal.

One game is one game, but if Engvall-Nelson-Palmieri works it would be beneficial since Engvall and Palmieri on the wings are a ying-yang situation where each supplies what the other wing is missing.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
True.

BTW, sometimes Nelson reminds me of Nelson before Nelson became Nelson, but last night he was Nelson after Nelson became Nelson.
Like a Half-Nelson going into Full-Nelson and back again. :sarcasm:

Regarding Engvall… at the very least, Isles have seemed to have replaced Beauvillier’s typical Isles production.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Like a Half-Nelson going into Full-Nelson and back again. :sarcasm:

Regarding Engvall… at the very least, Isles have seemed to have replaced Beauvillier’s typical Isles production.
Beauvillier has the skill to make the pass that Engvall made last night to Palmeiri but his confidence was shot with NYI. Engvall is a better and cheapher middle six option than Beauvillier.

Having a Swede on the team also probably helps Holmstrom feel comfortable, who would be in the minors with Barzal healthy.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Four game point streak with the assist last night against San Jose.

I think he was also seeing PP2 time as well.

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
He's the type of player Isles should be adding. He's a Brock Nelson type of player. Has size but plays a skill game. As long as expectations are he is not going to be a hitter or fighter, he can be a reasonable signing. Isles have other guys that can fight or hit. You need a little bit of everything on a team. Also maybe he can show Holmstrom the ropes being that he is a little bit older and developed. Not the worst acquisition for a throwaway 3rd rounder that may or may not even make the NHL.
Good post. Reminds me more of Bob Bourne than Nelson. We should only be so lucky that he has a career like him.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Good post. Reminds me more of Bob Bourne than Nelson. We should only be so lucky that he has a career like him.
Bob Bourne, very underrated player from the Isles dynasty teams. If my memory is correct, he had a short stint with Trottier and Bossy on the #1 line. Good skater and all around player. His son Justin is in the media in Toronto. Not sure how that came to be. Thought Justin would be an Isles fan, but he sounds more like a Leafs fan. Not a big fan of his, but his dad I was.

Vaporwave

Jan 19, 2019
You pretty much summed up Engvall's career in Toronto perfectly. He was pretty much just taking up a roster spot. If you guys could get his 6'5, 220lb frame banging out there the guy would be a force. Engvall is just one of those players that just doesn't have "it".
Seems like he has something and he's getting comfortable here. Knack for scoring, good positional play, speed, size. And he's still young.

Sometimes a change can really help a player. He wasn't getting the minutes in TOR. Their loss is our gain for relatively cheap. I love it.

When Barzal returns our F lineup looks very solid for the playoffs if they can maintain their play.

Lee Horvat Barzal
Engvall Nelson Palmieri (red hot line)
Parise Pageau Fasching
Martin Czikas Clutterbuck

We're one player away right now and that guy is Barzal.

I'll roll with these lines and all 4 can do damage.

Reactions: The Real JT

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Beauvillier has the skill to make the pass that Engvall made last night to Palmeiri but his confidence was shot with NYI. Engvall is a better and cheapher middle six option than Beauvillier.

Having a Swede on the team also probably helps Holmstrom feel comfortable, who would be in the minors with Barzal healthy.
Sebastian Aho is from Sweden.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Seems like he has something and he's getting comfortable here. Knack for scoring, good positional play, speed, size. And he's still young.

Sometimes a change can really help a player. He wasn't getting the minutes in TOR. Their loss is our gain for relatively cheap. I love it.

When Barzal returns our F lineup looks very solid for the playoffs if they can maintain their play.

Lee Horvat Barzal
Engvall Nelson Palmieri (red hot line)
Parise Pageau Fasching
Martin Czikas Clutterbuck

We're one player away right now and that guy is Barzal.

I'll roll with these lines and all 4 can do damage.
Clutterbuck out

Parise Pageau Holmstrom
Martin Czikas Fasching

Sorry, but Cal is a time bomb waiting to get injured in the 1st period of any game.

I'm sure this is an unpopular stance, but Fasching and Holmstrom are bigger offensive contributors and it's time to stop genuflecting to automatically penciling in MM/CC/CC

Reactions: Ishkabible and MJF

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad