Confirmed with Link: [NYI/TOR] Pierre Engvall for 2024 3rd round pick

Vaporwave

Jan 19, 2019
Clutterbuck out

Parise Pageau Holmstrom
Martin Czikas Fasching

Sorry, but Cal is a time bomb waiting to get injured in the 1st period of any game.

I'm sure this is an unpopular stance, but Fasching and Holmstrom are bigger offensive contributors and it's time to stop genuflecting to automatically penciling in MM/CC/CC
Not just yet.

If Clutter plays more like tonight, there's no way he's coming out come playoffs. That's where his true value lies anyway.

He's still having more impact on games than Holmstrom this season - more points, less games, better +/-, and no one fears Simon Holmstrom bearing down on them near the boards.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Refreshing to see Engvall use his speed and not afraid to carry the puck into the offensive zone. I hope we sign him because I would like to see more of him and what he may be able to do.
I think he makes someone available as a trade chip. Wouldn't surprise me to see Palmieri as a possible chip and Engvall is cheaper and younger. Buy out Bailey and trade Palmieri for picks. If we miss the playoffs, the younger forwards must have a path to playing. We must get more speed.

I wouldn't be surprised if Pageau is also on his last season here if we miss. You can go with Nelson/Horvat/Casey on 3rd/Durandeau. That's still a solid lineup and Pageau's $5 million can help gain another winger with speed.

These last games are going to be determinant in whether the future is this summer or not.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I think he makes someone available as a trade chip. Wouldn't surprise me to see Palmieri as a possible chip and Engvall is cheaper and younger. Buy out Bailey and trade Palmieri for picks. If we miss the playoffs, the younger forwards must have a path to playing. We must get more speed.

I wouldn't be surprised if Pageau is also on his last season here if we miss. You can go with Nelson/Horvat/Casey on 3rd/Durandeau. That's still a solid lineup and Pageau's $5 million can help gain another winger with speed.

These last games are going to be determinant in whether the future is this summer or not.
Would think Wahlstrom becomes a trade chip if they can retain Engvall.

Engvall & Horvat > Bailey, Beauvillier & Wahlstrom

Skip To My Lou

Abused Fan
May 4, 2010
Garden City, NY
Refreshing to see Engvall use his speed and not afraid to carry the puck into the offensive zone. I hope we sign him because I would like to see more of him and what he may be able to do.
I think people's outlook on him was the fact that he's a big, athletic guy, he should be more of a power forward. Which makes me think that's why Leafs fans were getting frustrated with him.

However, it's clear that he thrives on using his skill who just happens to be big. He's been incredible and I want him on the team moving forward. It's nice having another skilled forward who can skate like the wind.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Engvall looks like a keeper. Lou is pretty good at keeping guys he's traded for in the fold.

But going into the offseason, the roster clearly needs some landscaping.

And unfortunately, one of the most important tasks Lane and his staff had this year was to find out what Wahlstrom is. His lost season isn't helpful in steering through the muddy waters this offseason.

Anything short of a surprisingly impressive playoff run and well, a number of decisions have to be made this summer. Can't just come in next fall with basically the same roster.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Engvall looks like a keeper. Lou is pretty good at keeping guys he's traded for in the fold.

And unfortunately, one of the most important tasks Lane and his staff had this year was to find out what Wahlstrom is. His lost season isn't helpful in steering through the muddy waters this offseason.

Anything short of a surprisingly impressive playoff run and well, a number of decisions have to be made this summer. Can't just come in next fall with basically the same roster.
Wally has no value and zero leverage, he’s a cheap reup via a QO. He’ll have to earn a spot next season.

Engvall is a keeper.

Bailey reached his 1,000 games and has been scratched a lot this season by a rookie head coach. Doesn’t bode well for his future.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
How much do folks think it would take to for him to re-up? What would he get on the open market?

3x3.5?

Reactions: MarsTBOW

SI

Feb 16, 2013

Assuming they get out from Bailey’s contract and resign Parise - they could have Wahlstrom and Holmstrom fight for that final top 9 spot with the other as the 13th F.

They could also use Wahlstrom to recoup some picks if they like what they have in Holmstrom.

They could also move on from Parise - which reads crazy as I write this, but he does turn 39 this June.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
Assuming they get out from Bailey’s contract and resign Parise - they could have Wahlstrom and Holmstrom fight for that final top 9 spot with the other as the 13th F.

They could also use Wahlstrom to recoup some picks if they like what they have in Holmstrom.

They could also move on from Parise - which reads crazy as I write this, but he does turn 39 this June.
I dont really want to just package away Whally but he could be added to Bailey in order to have AZ take Josh off the books , then resign Engvall to X .

I wouldnt have a problem moving on from Parise either but we all know he'll get extended as soon as the season ends .

MarsTBOW

Jun 30, 2014
Ct.
How much do folks think it would take to for him to re-up? What would he get on the open market?

3x3.5?

That sounds about right to me.
They should bring back Facshing too. It probably will cost them $1.2 to $1.4 mil per year for 3 years for Hudson you would think.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
That sounds about right to me.
They should bring back Facshing too. It probably will cost them $1.2 to $1.4 mil per year for 3 years for Hudson you would think.
Is Fasching Cal’s replacement when his deal is up? If so, I don’t think it is a bad idea to give him 2 or 3 year deal at 1.2 - something that can be easily buried if it don’t work out.

I dont really want to just package away Whally but he could be added to Bailey in order to have AZ take Josh off the books , then resign Engvall to X .

I wouldnt have a problem moving on from Parise either but we all know he'll get extended as soon as the season ends .
And for the record I still really like Wahlstrom and still highly rate him - > Holmstrom. I think the criticism of his skating and IQ are highly overblown and the kid can do what is the hardest thing to do in this league - score goals.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020

Wally has little to no value. His value to NYI is he’s getting a QO and a cheap salary.

Where on Earth are the Islanders replacing Parise’s 20Gs and motor for <$1M? This is just age bias, nothing more.

But, one can get a $6.5M Boeser and his 17Gs…

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Let’s tap the brakes on Wahlstrom being able to score goals in this league. There isn’t a track record of this yet. In horse racing Wahlstrom would be the equivalent of a maiden who is winless in 2 starts but has a couple of bullet workouts on his charts. There’s promise but still waiting to see if he puts it all together.

For the record I’m not interested in trading Wahlstrom (or any other asset) as an add on to make Bailey’s contract go away. I’d rather see how Wahlly bounces back from this injury before I decide on his career.

As for Josh Bailey, I’m hopeful he can read the tea leaves and decides to retire this summer. If not I would hope Lou and Lane tell him there’s no place for him in our lineup and his contract will be buried in the AHL.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Wally has little to no value. His value to NYI is he’s getting a QO and a cheap salary.

Where on Earth are the Islanders replacing Parise’s 20Gs and motor for <$1M? This is just age bias, nothing more.

But, one can get a $6.5M Boeser and his 17Gs…
Not age bias at all - it is matter of direction MGMT wants to go in if they feel the kids are ready. Parise will be 40 soon.

IMO, you resign Parise.

Not sure where you are going with the Boeser comment - there is no way the team can fit that cap hit or should they - Boeser not the answer

Reactions: Levi Walking Bear

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I hope you’re not seriously penciling in Parise for 20 goals next year. His season should be considered a one-off; making up for a snakebit season last year where nothing went in for him while playing at a fairly high level.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Let’s tap the brakes on Wahlstrom being able to score goals in this league. There isn’t a track record of this yet. In horse racing Wahlstrom would be the equivalent of a maiden who is winless in 2 starts but has a couple of bullet workouts on his charts. There’s promise but still waiting to see if he puts it all together.

For the record I’m not interested in trading Wahlstrom (or any other asset) as an add on to make Bailey’s contract go away. I’d rather see how Wahlly bounces back from this injury before I decide on his career.

As for Josh Bailey, I’m hopeful he can read the tea leaves and decides to retire this summer. If not I would hope Lou and Lane tell him there’s no place for him in our lineup and his contract will be buried in the AHL.
What's more advantageous - burying him in BP or buying him out? Or maybe he'll do the honorable thing and rely on some long standing back issue that suddenly flares up to the point that he won't be able to play next year and go on LTIR, ala Boychuk, so we can recoup his salary - mas o menos - and his roster spot. To be honest, I'm kinda hoping that Martin does the same thing although I guess he can contribute a bit still....at times. Still, there's no reason to carry Ross and Martin on the Islanders. Martin can go on LTIR and start the next phase of his career as Islanders ambassador. Then we can re-sign Fasching as a 4th liner and Engvall for the 3rd line.

Both those guys have value....if they are slotted in the right spot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad