Confirmed with Link: [NYI/TOR] Pierre Engvall for 2024 3rd round pick

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
I hope you’re not seriously penciling in Parise for 20 goals next year. His season should be considered a one-off; making up for a snakebit season last year where nothing went in for him while playing at a fairly high level.
For a team lacking scoring someone has to get that 20. Once upon a time, fans thought Wally was gonna nab 25Gs, which we know didn’t happen (I was in the camp it could happen, but needed to learn the game to get there - he hasn’t).

Parise netting 10-12 goals playing the way he does is more than sufficient for that price point. If he keeps up his motor.

Expecting ~15-20 goals out of a $1M player is setting the wrong expectation.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Before getting hurt, Wahlstrom was on pace for around 15-17 goals. Not bad and I will happily take that from him and Parise on the third line next season for, what, around $2.25-2.5 million total?

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Before getting hurt, Wahlstrom was on pace for around 15-17 goals. Not bad and I will happily take that from him and Parise on the third line next season for, what, around $2.25-2.5 million total?
His overall game is kinda meh. So netting 15-17, but being weak in other areas ain’t really that great. Like I mentioned. He’s on a cheap QO and it’s up to him to prove he’s worthy of anything beyond that.

Engvall is a keeper. Same with another season of Parise.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
His overall game is kinda meh. So netting 15-17, but being weak in other areas ain’t really that great. Like I mentioned. He’s on a cheap QO and it’s up to him to prove he’s worthy of anything beyond that.

Engvall is a keeper. Same with another season of Parise.

He is 22-years old, inexpensive, isn't afraid to shoot the puck, hit, fight a bit or stick up for a teammate, while learning to play an all-around game at the NHL level, and capable of netting 20 goals. That is a good start.

While he should have learned more BEFORE getting to the NHL, it is what it is and he should have Parise and JGP to help out and cover up the mistakes. Then it is up to him to learn and adjust, as he gets time and reps, and prove he can be more well rounded.

Patience is needed, unless and until Wahly shows otherwise.

While I like Engvall and his speed, he is only a keeper if the salary works. The last thing the Isles need to do is overpay another solid, but not spectacular, player with the hope that he can become more.

If Engvall asks for too much, better to make due with forwards like Wahlstrom, Fasching, etc. and spend the money on a better defenseman, perhaps to pair with Romanov, to help in transition and possession.

With the cap space saved, the Isles can look for a goal scorer later.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
He is 22-years old, inexpensive, isn't afraid to shoot the puck, hit, fight a bit or stick up for a teammate, while learning to play an all-around game at the NHL level, and capable of netting 20 goals. That is a good start.

While he should have learned more BEFORE getting to the NHL, it is what it is and he should have Parise and JGP to help out and cover up the mistakes. Then it is up to him to learn and adjust, as he gets time and reps, and prove he can be more well rounded.

Patience is needed, unless and until Wahly shows otherwise.

While I like Engvall and his speed, he is only a keeper if the salary works. The last thing the Isles need to do is overpay another solid, but not spectacular, player with the hope that he can become more.

If Engvall asks for too much, better to make due with forwards like Wahlstrom, Fasching, etc. and spend the money on a better defenseman, perhaps to pair with Romanov, to help in transition and possession.

With the cap space saved, the Isles can look for a goal scorer later.
Agreed, he’s a keeper in the sense of price. I think Engvall and the Isles can get at a reasonable price on term. He’s not that important the Isles have to overpay and as mentioned he’s only earned $5.5M and he’s gonna be 27.

He’s also the type of player that gets the squeeze in UFA on ‘show me’ deals. So, he’s better to snag term.

Wally is what he is at this point. I agree with much you put there. Not stated, but he’s not a good pairing with Barzal. That ain’t any Hull/Oates going on there. Barzal is too shifty and Wally just doesn’t know where to go on the ice with him. He needs a simpler player like a JGP.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Agreed, he’s a keeper in the sense of price. I think Engvall and the Isles can get at a reasonable price on term. He’s not that important the Isles have to overpay and as mentioned he’s only earned $5.5M and he’s gonna be 27.

He’s also the type of player that gets the squeeze in UFA on ‘show me’ deals. So, he’s better to snag term.

Wally is what he is at this point. I agree with much you put there. Not stated, but he’s not a good pairing with Barzal. That ain’t any Hull/Oates going on there. Barzal is too shifty and Wally just doesn’t know where to go on the ice with him. He needs a simpler player like a JGP.

I would be very happy with retaining Engvall at a fair price for both the player and team. I like him with Nelson and Palms but, when everyone is healthy, I could also see him fitting in well with Horvat and Barzal, if the Isles cannot find another LW to compliment them.

I don't necessarily love Lee on that line but it is probably a marriage of convenience right now. Engvall is a nice player to have, since he can really fit in on any of the top-three lines.

Agreed, Wahly and Barzal weren't a fit before and now, with Horvat at C and Barzal at RW, there simply isn't a spot for him on the top line and he is better off alongside JGP and Parise.

I hope Parise will want to re-up with the Isles next season and that he has one more productive year in him.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I would be very happy with retaining Engvall at a fair price for both the player and team. I like him with Nelson and Palms but, when everyone is healthy, I could also see him fitting in well with Horvat and Barzal, if the Isles cannot find another LW to compliment them.

Alone because Lou doesn't seem to acquire any players in a trade who he doesn't re-up, I believe Engvall is here to be re-signed.

He definitely adds a dynamic we didn't previously have, with space for further blooming.

I hope Parise will want to re-up with the Isles next season and that he has one more productive year in him.

I have zero doubt he can. If he's retained, we can bank on another 12-15 goal, 25+ point season in a 3rd line capacity. Nothing this year has led me to believe anything else. In fact, he looks like one of those guys who can be "this" player until he's 43-45.

Just that kind of athlete and serious statesman.

Reactions: danteipp

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
How has Engvall been in the playoffs? Noticed he still hasn't scored, but has he been impactful off the scoresheet?

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Engvall is a nice player and while he is in the direction of where the NHL is going in what world is he worth anything more than $3 million? He SHOULD be a third line player with some nice skating ability.

If you overpay Engvall you run into the same problem with not being able to afford elite talent.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
How has Engvall been in the playoffs? Noticed he still hasn't scored, but has he been impactful off the scoresheet?
Overall he has been good. I can see why so many Leaf fans harped on his shortcomings. He really is better off as a 2/3rd liner on a more physical team. I can see his game as rather redundant on the Leafs.

Asking any player to be something that is outside of their temperament rarely works. Engvall is a big player, but he will never be overly physical. But his skating and transition is an appreciated compliment to the heavier games of some of the Isles bottom six.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Asking any player to be something that is outside of their temperament rarely works. Engvall is a big player, but he will never be overly physical. But his skating and transition is an appreciated compliment to the heavier games of some of the Isles bottom six.
Strongly agree. Both him an Aho look like soccer players who eventually turned into hockey players. I'm speculating, but I wonder if Engvall, especially, committed to hockey late. I would guess that coaches would naturally steer someone with his size & fluidity to playing defense. But that obviously didn't happen.

At any rate, I don't see a lot of downside committing to Engvall over 3-4 years even if it costs 1-2M AAV more than one thinks it should cost simply because he's 26, and an excellent athlete. We know what he is, but he could be more in time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Olliemets

warrior60

Dec 24, 2010
Hockey Town
Strongly agree. Both him an Aho look like soccer players who eventually turned into hockey players. I'm speculating, but I wonder if Engvall, especially, committed to hockey late. I would guess that coaches would naturally steer someone with his size & fluidity to playing defense. But that obviously didn't happen.

At any rate, I don't see a lot of downside committing to Engvall over 3-4 years even if it costs 1-2M AAV more than one thinks it should cost simply because he's 26, and an excellent athlete. We know what he is, but he could be more in time.
Just what this teams needs another player that has never had twenty goal season playing for one of the best offenses in the league.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Just what this teams needs another player that has never had twenty goal season playing for one of the best offenses in the league.
This team needs talent, so unless you want to tear it down (which is fair, but then say so), what you say would be more convincing if you named possible, and better alternative.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I'm pretty sure what you're saying would have applied to Nichushkin when he was 26, FWIW.

I understand what you're saying and wonder the same thing to some extent, but Engvall is a big body, he has some skill, he's very fast, and he probably wants to be here. That might be enough for me if they can settle on a reasonable contract. This team desperately needs a skilled PP pointman on D and speed on the wings.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
There was a moment last game where he had the puck in the neutral zone and curled all the way back allowing for everyone on the team to change and get into position. Then he started to move through the neutral zone. He was calm and poised with the puck in a situation where most of the forwards would've just dumped the puck down and given away possession. I don't know what kind of contract he's looking for but he'd be nice to fill out the bottom six if it isn't cost prohibitive.

The Wahligator

Nov 27, 2015
Long Island
There was a moment last game where he had the puck in the neutral zone and curled all the way back allowing for everyone on the team to change and get into position. Then he started to move through the neutral zone. He was calm and poised with the puck in a situation where most of the forwards would've just dumped the puck down and given away possession. I don't know what kind of contract he's looking for but he'd be nice to fill out the bottom six if it isn't cost prohibitive.
I think if you’re going to re-sign him you have to at least give him an extended look in the top six with Nelson and Palmieri. That’s where he’s played his best hockey.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC

I'd noticed this during Barzal's absence, he had been doing his best 'Barzy Zone Entry' impression down the stretch.

I think it's a skill worth having outside of Ice Capades.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad