Proposal: Nyi - tbl

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
I enjoy Trade Forum moments like this when both sides amicably reach a mutually beneficial deal.

:isles Tyler Johnson

:bolts Travis Hamonic

Some one get Garth and Steve on the phone!

I know I'm in the minority of Lightning fans that actually wants to keep Johnson. (He's a solid 2nd line center that can fill in on the top line in a pinch. Granted you wouldn't want him as your number 1 center permanently, but can fill in admirably because of injuries and what not. Feel like we can resign him for a bargain contract.)

This trade however does give me pause. I'd do it, reluctantly. Done.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
If we are trading Johnson Hamonic is not the type of defender we should be targeting. We need a more offense first defender, I would target someone like Dumba. Unless the plus is much better than a 2nd round pick I'd look elsewhere.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
If we are trading Johnson Hamonic is not the type of defender we should be targeting. We need a more offense first defender, I would target someone like Dumba. Unless the plus is much better than a 2nd round pick I'd look elsewhere.

While I somewhat agree, mostly because I like Dumba, Hamonics contract is very good value for us. He plays very similar to Dotchin in style but with even better shutdown ability and skating, an excellent compliment for Hedman.

Would need to do a huge revamp on D if we go this route though and I'm not happy about trading TJ

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
While I somewhat agree, mostly because I like Dumba, Hamonics contract is very good value for us. He plays very similar to Dotchin in style but with even better shutdown ability and skating, an excellent compliment for Hedman.

Would need to do a huge revamp on D if we go this route though and I'm not happy about trading TJ

Like you say we'd need to revamp the D because Harmonic is similar to the type of players we already have. He's an upgrade over all but Hedman and Stralman with a great contract but we would need to move out a few other defenders and still find that offensive defender. It would just make more sense to target a offensive RD for Johnson than go for Hamonic.

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Like you say we'd need to revamp the D because Harmonic is similar to the type of players we already have. He's an upgrade over all but Hedman and Stralman with a great contract but we would need to move out a few other defenders and still find that offensive defender. It would just make more sense to target a offensive RD for Johnson than go for Hamonic.

Agreed, that would be the ideal scenario, and much simpler.

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site

Problem is that someone like Dumba may not be available. Minnesota has Granlund, Koivu and Eriksson-Ek. Plus, they need to re-sign Granlund and Nieds...I doubt they could afford Johnson if they are only moving out Dumba's contract.

The other problem is there aren't many puck movers available in free agency either. I doubt TB can get involved with Shattenkirk, even if they move Johnson, and the other UFA defensemen are either old (Markov, Streit), stay at home, or just not good.

So, if TB wants to upgrade their D, their choices may come down to either a solid player that isn't a great fit (Hamonic or de Haan for instance) or a younger, unproven player with upside (Pulock).

I am using Isles here as examples, obviously there would be many teams interested in Johnson. I just don't know how many teams have an offensive defenseman to spare, especially one TB can afford under the cap. TB may not be able to get the exact fit they want.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife

I wonder if, depending on what Colorado gets for Duchene and/or Landeskog, they may be open to something around Barrie and Johnson? :dunno:

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
I wonder if, depending on what Colorado gets for Duchene and/or Landeskog, they may be open to something around Barrie and Johnson? :dunno:

That would be good for TB, but you have to wonder if Colorado would target the 26 year old Johnson, who will likely make $5M+ next year if they trade away Duchene.

Also, Johnson can take a 1-year deal and be a UFA after next season. I could see him doing that if he isn't happy going to Colorado.

I'll be honest with you, I have no idea what Colorado is doing, so it's hard to determine whether they would entertain such a trade.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Problem is that someone like Dumba may not be available. Minnesota has Granlund, Koivu and Eriksson-Ek. Plus, they need to re-sign Granlund and Nieds...I doubt they could afford Johnson if they are only moving out Dumba's contract.

The other problem is there aren't many puck movers available in free agency either. I doubt TB can get involved with Shattenkirk, even if they move Johnson, and the other UFA defensemen are either old (Markov, Streit), stay at home, or just not good.

So, if TB wants to upgrade their D, their choices may come down to either a solid player that isn't a great fit (Hamonic or de Haan for instance) or a younger, unproven player with upside (Pulock).

I am using Isles here as examples, obviously there would be many teams interested in Johnson. I just don't know how many teams have an offensive defenseman to spare, especially one TB can afford under the cap. TB may not be able to get the exact fit they want.

If Minnesota leaves Dumba unprotected for Vegas to take then Vegas flips Dumba for Johnson. Vegas could use Dumba in their top 4 but could use Johnson a heck of a lot more. If Dumba stays in Minnesota than there's no trade to make.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010

Carolina is probably your best bet for that scenario

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Carolina is probably your best bet for that scenario

Who do they have besides Faulk that fits that bill? Pesce is a bit limited offensively, Murphy doesn't have any real value and McKeown has a long way to go. I don't think they'd trade Faulk for Johnson either.

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Who do they have besides Faulk that fits that bill? Pesce is a bit limited offensively, Murphy doesn't have any real value and McKeown has a long way to go. I don't think they'd trade Faulk for Johnson either.

This. Justin Faulk would be amazing but I don't see the incentive for Carolina to break up their top 4.

TJ+futures for Faulk i would do in a heartbeat but I don't see it happening

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011
Johnson for Hamonic? DEAL.

Would be a fantastic trade for the Isles.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad