Newsday: NYI Preparing For Quick Turnaround

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
Beat most of us or just have more interest than most of us? :help:
LI = recession. NYC is stable. So.....don't read too much into the crowds.

Does anyone know what the prices are at NVMC this year compared to last?

Any calls threatening to lose your seats if you don't pay up? Anyone?:laugh:

GusTheo

Sep 14, 2011
With a short season, I think that benefits the Islanders a lot. As of now it's clear that the Islanders are outmatched in our division. But last year they became an extremely formidable opponent when Nabokov got hot. The fact that the season has been cut down to 48 could benefit them a lot. Nabokov is an older player, so a shortened season could benefit him. And everyone knows if a goalie gets hot, anything can happen. LETS HOPE!

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
LI = recession. NYC is stable. So.....don't read too much into the crowds.

Does anyone know what the prices are at NVMC this year compared to last?

Any calls threatening to lose your seats if you don't pay up? Anyone?:laugh:

But we're talking about the ratio of Ranger fans to Islander fans at the Coliseum during Isles/Rangers games. I'd think that most of the Rangers fans going to the Coliseum live on LI as opposed to commute from the city. So when Isles fans gripe about being overpowered at the Coliseum, I think it has more to do with fan interest than it does with money.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
With a short season, I think that benefits the Islanders a lot. As of now it's clear that the Islanders are outmatched in our division. But last year they became an extremely formidable opponent when Nabokov got hot. The fact that the season has been cut down to 48 could benefit them a lot. Nabokov is an older player, so a shortened season could benefit him. And everyone knows if a goalie gets hot, anything can happen. LETS HOPE!

I hope you're right Gus.

The worm's gotta turn eventually.:fight:

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Not to sound like I'm whining but I hate how you cant choose a specific seat online. I usually always buy the same two seats for my dad and i. However since he just had Brain Surgery I guess I'll have to take my wife instead, if I can get my parents to watch my daughter.

Sorry to hear about you're Dad, hope he is ok.

Not calling you a whiner I just want to change up the attitude here. We have hockey back! I don't want to go into the first game of the season pessimistic about how many opposing fans are there. I want to go in chest out chanting for my Islanders.

IslesFanatic

Thank you, Lou!
Jun 7, 2006
I forgot those ********ers have Nash now too. Hey, at least we got Boyes. And **** you Visnovsky. POS.

Uncle Lou

Jun 20, 2010
New York
Sorry to hear about you're Dad, hope he is ok.

Not calling you a whiner I just want to change up the attitude here. We have hockey back! I don't want to go into the first game of the season pessimistic about how many opposing fans are there. I want to go in chest out chanting for my Islanders.

Yes! I don't care if I'm the only isles fan there I will be as loud as always cheering for our boys

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
But we're talking about the ratio of Ranger fans to Islander fans at the Coliseum during Isles/Rangers games. I'd think that most of the Rangers fans going to the Coliseum live on LI as opposed to commute from the city. So when Isles fans gripe about being overpowered at the Coliseum, I think it has more to do with fan interest than it does with money.

Think here.....a Rag fan not going to MSPee 41 games due to cost would have four nights at NVMC to go to easily, instead of commuting to a few games at MSPee. Of course fan interest is there.....Montreal fans go to the NVMC as well. But LI is not doing well, so there have to be a ton taking advantage of just being able to see cheaper hockey. When the Isle do well, we outnumber them but that's only on even number decades.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
Think here.....a Rag fan not going to MSPee 41 games due to cost would have four nights at NVMC to go to easily, instead of commuting to a few games at MSPee. Of course fan interest is there.....Montreal fans go to the NVMC as well. But LI is not doing well, so there have to be a ton taking advantage of just being able to see cheaper hockey. When the Isle do well, we outnumber them but that's only on even number decades.

The key line in your post. Yes, when the Isles do well, Isles fans buy more tickets. But when the team is terrible (as they have been), it's easy for opposing fans whether they live 5 minutes or 6 hours from the Coliseum to get tickets as the home team's fans don't bother to turn out for games. It has little to do with $$ and everything to do with fan interest.

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
No I expect in the #4 spot

Striet - Hamonic
MacDonald - Martinek
Donovon - Carkner

That's a great combo, in fact. Martinek would be able to use more offense in his game - which he has - and AMac could hang back. Hamonic could lend the physical defense to allow Streit to take more chances and Streit can balance that out for Hamonic's physical game and allow Hamonic to grow his offensive game. Carkner is a safe vet pairing for Donovan. If Viz comes back, shift everyone on the right down a notch and plug him in Hamonic's spot. That's not a bad defense.

CaptDenisPotvin

The Tampa Bay Astros are your 2021 Champions
Jun 20, 2007
I wld really like a 6th defenseman that is just a tay at home physical dman...i still dont think we have one...cairns sucked but nobody wanted to be next to him in the slot...maybe im just a little old school but i like when a defense can clear the crease easily. Komisarek wld be nice but we wld need him to get boughtout i think

LAIslanderFan

Nov 18, 2010
Los Angeles, CA & Surprise, AZ
Can't wait for the drop of the puck. Disappointed the season is starting this late and the Islanders will only play within their conference.

I was back to LI for Christmas and for the first time in 8 years, I didn't get to see the Islanders play.
Christmas for me, is not only about seeing family members back east, it's also my chance to see the Islanders play at home every year. On top of that, the Islanders won't be coming west either, so chances are I might not get to see them in person at all.

Although, they could play the Kings in the Stanley Cup!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad