Newsday: NYI Preparing For Quick Turnaround

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
http://mobile.newsday.com/inf/infom...a=newsday_5min&feed:c=sports&feed:i=1.4413899
"You know you have to hit the ground running," said Capuano, who spent the weekend behind the bench with the Bridgeport Sound Tigers, assisting coach Scott Pellerin while evaluating some of the potential Islanders on the AHL roster. "I'd say we're ready. We were ready in September."

Travis Hamonic has been out of action for Bridgeport since Dec. 2 because of a concussion. He said he started feeling better early last week and is to resume skating Monday or Tuesday. "Just in time, I guess ," he said. David Ullstrom, Casey Cizikas and Brock Nelson, three Sound Tigers who could see action with the team, also have missed time with injuries.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
The whole 'concussion' with Hamonic seems really fishy to me. Considering he's been sidelined for almost a month with a concussion is not alarming? With all the attention to head shots and the resulting injuries, we've heard NOTHING about his injury. Now with the lockout over, he's magically fine and ready to resume skating? Travis is not the run of the mill AHLer - he's probably our top NHL d-man who is just getting work in to stay in shape whenever the season resumed. Hmmmm.

In any case, I'm glad he's fine and ready to go because we need him big time to stand a chance. Glad the 'ConcussionGate' is over, but I still find it interesting.

macleod50

Apr 24, 2006
Long Island, NY
The whole 'concussion' with Hamonic seems really fishy to me. Considering he's been sidelined for almost a month with a concussion is not alarming? With all the attention to head shots and the resulting injuries, we've heard NOTHING about his injury. Now with the lockout over, he's magically fine and ready to resume skating? Travis is not the run of the mill AHLer - he's probably our top NHL d-man who is just getting work in to stay in shape whenever the season resumed. Hmmmm.

In any case, I'm glad he's fine and ready to go because we need him big time to stand a chance. Glad the 'ConcussionGate' is over, but I still find it interesting.

He's supposed to start skating soon. I hope he's completely healed and doesn't have any lingering effects.
Arthur Staple ‏@StapeNewsday

Talked to @THamonic3 earlier. Says he's been feeling better for last 10 days, ready to resume skating.

lorwood

Nov 3, 2008
As per the article;

"The Isles are unlikely to add more players than they now have under contract for what will be, at most, a seven-day training camp before a 48-game season begins Jan. 19, according to reports."

As per Boomer on the FAN this morning the opener will be against the Rags at the Coliseum.

NyIsles19

Jan 26, 2009
Long Island
As per the article;

"The Isles are unlikely to add more players than they now have under contract for what will be, at most, a seven-day training camp before a 48-game season begins Jan. 19, according to reports."

As per Boomer on the FAN this morning the opener will be against the Rags at the Coliseum.

Wow what a way to open the season should be an awsome night:handclap:

BillD

Feb 12, 2004

Could be some fish stank there but it is likely just an abundance of caution with Hammer being out this long.
He was sent to the Port to stay in game shape or to avoid going overseas to do so, and onlt because he was eligible to play in the AHL.
Sitting him out for any reason other than injury is defeating the purpose of him ever being there, even if he was skating in private all this time (which has not been reported).
Hammer will have to get into condition for the start of NHL action without the benefit of being in "game shape" condition.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
Snow should really be looking at adding a defenseman as quickly as possible, but for obvious reasons there are none available as of now. Judging by what I've read about Aaron Ness this year he does not seem to be doing too well in Bport and that leaves only Donovan as the alternative, who maybe should be left to develop for this season at the Bridge.

lorwood

Nov 3, 2008
Wow what a way to open the season should be an awsome night:handclap:

If you think about it, it makes sense to keep the first week local i.e games against the Rags, Devils,Flyers, Bruins. Let the guys get their legs under them before flying them around the league. I would think the same will go for the rest of the league wherever possible.

IceAce

Strait Trippin'
Jun 9, 2010
Philadelphia
Isn't the entire 48 game schedule going to just be conference games? So basically the only time we'll even leave the Eastern time zone is the game(s) in Winnipeg?

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY

This does not bode well for the Islanders. Our division is probably the toughest in the league and fighting through more established teams in a shortened season is asking a lot for a team with so many question marks.

I'm hopeful the team makes strides this season and some of the questions are answered, but it's going to be very difficult. Of course, I'll hope for the best.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
Snow should really be looking at adding a defenseman as quickly as possible, but for obvious reasons there are none available as of now. Judging by what I've read about Aaron Ness this year he does not seem to be doing too well in Bport and that leaves only Donovan as the alternative, who maybe should be left to develop for this season at the Bridge.

I don't understand stuff like this. Donovan is far from a Reinhart(18) or even a Mayfield(20). He's 22 years old(drafted the same year as Hamonic, who's been in the NHL for 2 years now). On top of that he's basically spent 1 1/2 seasons in the AHL to this point(as well as a 6-game stint in 2010-11 where he racked up 5 points), where he's had some some pretty good success. I don't know what another 3 or 4 months in Bridgeport will really do for his development at this point, other than make the Islanders worse considering, as you said, who our other options are.

IMO, Donovan has more than paid his dues. If he isn't on this team it won't be because the Isles don't think he's ready, it'll be because someone else beat him out(again, highly unlikely).

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
I don't understand stuff like this. Donovan is far from a Reinhart(18) or even a Mayfield(20). He's 22 years old(drafted the same year as Hamonic, who's been in the NHL for 2 years now). On top of that he's basically spent 1 1/2 seasons in the AHL to this point(as well as a 6-game stint in 2010-11 where he racked up 5 points), where he's had some some pretty good success. I don't know what another 3 or 4 months in Bridgeport will really do for his development at this point, other than make the Islanders worse considering, as you said, who our other options are.

IMO, Donovan has more than paid his dues. If he isn't on this team it won't be because the Isles don't think he's ready, it'll be because someone else beat him out(again, highly unlikely).

There's no one there to beat him out. With Lubo coming up with more crap Donovan might well be forced into a role too big for him too soon. If Lubo stays in Europe the islanders are left with basically three defensemen of NHL caliber (Streit, Hamonic and McDonald) and will be forced to rely heavily on the likes of Carkner and Donovan which cannot bode well in the long run.

If the Islanders are serious about contending this year then they need more experience and more depth.

scott99

May 13, 2005
As per the article;

Man, what a way to start it. I went last Oct 15th against the Rangers, My Dad and I (Islander's fans) sitting next to my Uncle and his Wife (Ranger's fans), and the Isles won 5-3 behind JT's hat trick. What a game. What a feeling of satisfaction it is to beat the Rangers, whether at home (FU Ranger's fans !) or at the Garden. I hope I can get tickets to this one, plus it's a 3 day weekend ! MLK Day on Monday.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
There's no one there to beat him out. With Lubo coming up with more crap Donovan might well be forced into a role too big for him too soon. If Lubo stays in Europe the islanders are left with basically three defensemen of NHL caliber (Streit, Hamonic and McDonald) and will be forced to rely heavily on the likes of Carkner and Donovan which cannot bode well in the long run.

If the Islanders are serious about contending this year then they need more experience and more depth.

If Visnovsky stays in Europe(which I don't see happening) I assume the Isles would look towards the trade market. I don't see them going with two rookies on the blueline. I suppose it will depend on who would be available.

If Visnovsky does come over, I expect Donovan to be playing on a 3rd pairing with Carkner, which should fit him fine. Streit-Hammer; Vis-AMac top-4.

Fantom

Jan 5, 2006
As per the article;

I like the idea. However to have your home opener against a team who will out number you makes ZERO sense

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
Man, what a way to start it. I went last Oct 15th against the Rangers, My Dad and I (Islander's fans) sitting next to my Uncle and his Wife (Ranger's fans), and the Isles won 5-3 behind JT's hat trick. What a game. What a feeling of satisfaction it is to beat the Rangers, whether at home (FU Ranger's fans !) or at the Garden. I hope I can get tickets to this one, plus it's a 3 day weekend ! MLK Day on Monday.

great story.
All that was missing was a Vukota/Baumgartner or possibly a Cairns/Corson type of beating. Hopefully they bought you a nice steak dinner after the game and left a $91 tip, just because :)

#gladhockeysback

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Fans... unless that was sarcasm. I can never tell.

Fans? Jesus Christ guys, this isn't the depths of the 08-09 season. Hockeys back! Forget your boycotts, forget your troubles and show up pumped and loud to the home opener. Bring your Islander friends, drink responsibly and get hyped and loud. Don't worry about their fans.

KrisBeKreame

Oct 5, 2009
Virginia
Fans? Jesus Christ guys, this isn't the depths of the 08-09 season. Hockeys back! Forget your boycotts, forget your troubles and show up pumped and loud to the home opener. Bring your Islander friends, drink responsibly and get hyped and loud. Don't worry about their fans.

I bet you they will beat most of us to the ticket counters as they always do.

KrisBeKreame

Oct 5, 2009
Virginia
Then don't wait for the box office, buy online :naughty:

Not to sound like I'm whining but I hate how you cant choose a specific seat online. I usually always buy the same two seats for my dad and i. However since he just had Brain Surgery I guess I'll have to take my wife instead, if I can get my parents to watch my daughter.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Could be some fish stank there but it is likely just an abundance of caution with Hammer being out this long.
He was sent to the Port to stay in game shape or to avoid going overseas to do so, and onlt because he was eligible to play in the AHL.
Sitting him out for any reason other than injury is defeating the purpose of him ever being there, even if he was skating in private all this time (which has not been reported).
Hammer will have to get into condition for the start of NHL action without the benefit of being in "game shape" condition.

This is my guess, it's just a case of being overly cautious

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad