Confirmed Trade: [NYI/OTT] JG Pageau to Islanders for cond. 2020/21 1st (top 3 protected), 2020 2nd, & cond. 2022 3rd

tapi

Oct 25, 2009
Isles going all in.. this could be a terrible mistake, as their chances at winning the cup are quite slim.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Why is this being bumped? These trade threads need to be locked. We don't need to go back each time a player has dried up or has caught fire. Islanders are happy. Leave it alone.

Makes more sense to analyze the trade further down the road than the first 24 hours, honestly.

Also, pretty easy not to click the thread? I never really understood this complaint.

El Diego

Jan 2, 2009
We have been so conditioned to analyze who "wins" a trade, that it's funny that we sometimes forget that both teams are meant to "win" a trade -- that's why they agreed to a deal! Happy to hear that Pageau is working out for the Islanders. He was easy to like in Ottawa, and had a disproportionate amount of memorable moments.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Final 4 last year. 2nd place right now, behind a team that's only lost 3 regulation games all year, 2 of those to the Isles. But slim chance.

Little more scoring up front and they might have enough to beat the Lightning last year. They might be able to do that before the deadline this year and watch out for the isles.

Reactions: Cygnusx1018

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
The late first could have been in the mid to high teens as the Islanders were in free fall before the shut down and improved greatly when hockey started back up. But then again they benefited from San Jose melting down at the right time to get Stutzle.

I could have played in the NHL if I was good enough...except that didn't happen. "Could have" = I've got nothing so I'm going to go with a hypothetical situation that did not happen.

Disgraced Cosmonaut

Oct 26, 2002
Visit site
Isles going all in.. this could be a terrible mistake, as their chances at winning the cup are quite slim.
Going all in? Going?
Is this post on a year time delay? Maybe you just woke up in 2021?
Guy's been a good player for the Isles, scoring goals and grabbing points and faceoffs at a good clip. Not a stupendous deal, but a very good deal that winning teams make every time. A few more scorers and the Islanders could be dangerous. That Wahlstrom kid needs to take the next step and, if so, he'll do it alongside JGP.

Reactions: Cygnusx1018

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
One of the best trade acquisitions for the Islanders in years, if not decades. On pace for 30 goals again, plays great in the faceoff circle, is excellent defensively even-strength and on the PK, all the while mentoring Wahlstrom who is really turning a corner this year.

Expected 15g, 15a and great pk with good faceoff ability. Far exceeding expectations.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Makes more sense to analyze the trade further down the road than the first 24 hours, honestly.

Also, pretty easy not to click the thread? I never really understood this complaint.
There's 24 hours and then there's a year. The complaint is that it bumps it to the main forum showing a confirmed trade as if something just happened. The entire post subject doesn't get showed. Either way, I'll make note of this thread being bumped before clicking.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
I could have played in the NHL if I was good enough...except that didn't happen. "Could have" = I've got nothing so I'm going to go with a hypothetical situation that did not happen.
Your idea is totally out to lunch. I was stating facts. They had 7 losses in a row before CoVid halted play. They break conceivably saved their season.

Reactions: unitedstars87

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Didn't care when we lost Karlsson (that contract is horrendous). Didn't care that we lost Duchene, Duclair, Hoffman, etc. However, losing Mark Stone (was to be our next captain) and JG Pageau (local Ottawa/Gatineau boy beloved by Sens fans) hurt like hell.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
One thing I noticed when the knee jerk reactions came out was that not a lot of people on here but also analysts in the league had a good pulse on the Isles and what we needed, what was hindering us. The "Isles got another grinder" was a low value comment.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Pageau is nice and all but a high draft pick could turn out to be anything! Even a talented player like Pageau!
I mean you could trade your 1st round pick to Edmonton for them to draft Alex Plante, even if it means a guy like Ryan Smyth gets another playoff run. They also traded the 1st round pick to Vegas so they don’t take Pelech which I think was used to select Suzuki. Pageau is exactly what this roster needed at the time.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
You can't build forever. Eventually you have to trade some future for some now and JPG is young enough and good enough that he'll be an impact player for awhile.
Yeah I think his deal expires at 33. We're getting prime years.

The break could have saved their season...but maybe not. We'll never know. What we do know is they want to game 6 of the conference finals.
My pushback with that narrative was always that the play was significantly better than the record (obviously with 0 wins) but I never felt that the season was 'spiraling down'. They played well and we're 0-3-4. Some bad luck in there.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Didn't care when we lost Karlsson (that contract is horrendous). Didn't care that we lost Duchene, Duclair, Hoffman, etc. However, losing Mark Stone (was to be our next captain) and JG Pageau (local Ottawa/Gatineau boy beloved by Sens fans) hurt like hell.

It sucks to lose fan favorite players like them but the Sens are on the right track. They have assembled a nice looking team to compete for many years to come.

PROMputt

I promise to never forget.
Jan 4, 2008
Lawnguyland
Yeah I think his deal expires at 33. We're getting prime years.

My pushback with that narrative was always that the play was significantly better than the record (obviously with 0 wins) but I never felt that the season was 'spiraling down'. They played well and we're 0-3-4. Some bad luck in there.

I always thought the loss of Pelech was a bigger factor in the losing streak (also most teams have losing streaks during the season-peaks and valley's). I am happy with the trade and like a previous poster mentioned I hope it works out for both teams as that is there desired goals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad