Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYI] Mathew Barzal signs extension (3 years, $7M AAV)

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
This signing is just another example why Lou Lam is the wizard of GMs. Barzal for 7 on the cap, and after three years the team still has the control. Get Lou Lam fir GM and he builds a winner. Smart signing of these young stars saves cap dollars to round out his roster.

Yeah, had to get rid of Toews while standing pat. Merlin himself.

Crazydounut

Oct 10, 2017
Charlotte, NC
Yeah, had to get rid of Toews while standing pat. Merlin himself.
Lou is forsure a mixed bag.

Your RFA's are gonna be well handeled and drafting should be solid, but at the same time trading and UFA is where Lou struggles a lot. He'd be a top 5 GM if he wasn't bad at those two parts of roster acquisitions

Reactions: Morrison

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Isn’t this bad for the Islanders in the sense that he could sign his QO after the contract to essentially become a UFA the season after?

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I think this is a good deal, they get a great cap hit from there best player for 3 years and still control him after.

This is why I wanted Lou to do our deals for our core instead of Dubas. People will disagree with Lou's UFA contracts but I think he still knows how to leverage RFAs
100% agree. Lou Lam might have saved 7-10 million in cap room. Look at how TBay and Boston save with their younger stars! Colorado too. Those extra cap dollars make a difference in the quality of the support players. 7 on the cap for a superstar is amazing. I’m hoping Benning is this smart signing Pettersson and Hughes.

Ledge And Dairy

This signing is just another example why Lou Lam is the wizard of GMs. Barzal for 7 on the cap, and after three years the team still has the control. Get Lou Lam fir GM and he builds a winner. Smart signing of these young stars saves cap dollars to round out his roster.
I think you are over exaggerating a bit, this contract was was super predictable after last years signings. It's about as fair as it gets for both sides, less than 7x3 is a steal and more than 7x3 is an overpay.

Dont use Toronto as a baseline for deals, they are the outlier.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I think you are over exaggerating a bit, this contract was was super predictable after last years signings. It's about as fair as it gets for both sides, less than 7x3 is a steal and more than 7x3 is an overpay.
I think we need to compare Barzal’s cap cost to other superstar number one centres. Maybe it’s a north of the border v south of the border thing, but it sure looks like Barzal at 7 is a lot less than other star number one centres are eating off the cap.

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
Short term deal is fine. Long term anyone else Tavaras part two?
If you mean losing him for nothing, I don't think that will happen regardless of who the GM is. If you mean, huge 7 year deal everyone can see will hurt on the back-end...that's pretty much the case for signing any UFA that's going to be playing well into their 30's.

Ledge And Dairy

Hopefully someone writes out how it works now. It's something to do with a % over the AAV.

On edit: 20% over the AAV, so 8.4 to 8.6 is about right as far as a QO goes
There are 2 options and the lower of the 2 is the QO:
1. The final year of the contracts pay
2. The AAV x 1.2

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Isn’t this bad for the Islanders in the sense that he could sign his QO after the contract to essentially become a UFA the season after?

You can say this for every bridge deal signed in the past 3 years. You either bite the bullet like Toronto and Colorado did and go 5+ with higher cap or risk UFA after the the 4th year. Toronto overpaid I know let’s not turn this into that though.

This is a good deal for NYI

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think we need to compare Barzal’s cap cost to other superstar number one centres. Maybe it’s a north of the border v south of the border thing, but it sure looks like Barzal at 7 is a lot less than other star number one centres are eating off the cap.

Well its lower due to the term of the deal. Aho is at 8.5 but signed for 5 years. Other comps like Point were same term at $6.7 million. So its essentially a market value deal.

Madap

May 24, 2019
Toronto, ON, Canada
Wizard? This is a decent deal sure, but don’t forget he had to deal toews because of it, and he’s still over the cap. He’s going to get bailed out because a player got injured and couldn’t play, or he’d have to dump even more assets.

Ledge And Dairy

Huh? There are 5 other 1C's that signed off of ELC's recently 2 of them signed long term (Matthews and Hischier) and of the other 3 only 1 of them got more than Barzal (but Aho also signed an OS and got 2 extra years). Barzal got the Tkachuk deal which is completely fair since they are fairly similar caliber players

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Well its lower due to the term of the deal. Aho is at 8.5 but signed for 5 years. Other comps like Point were same term at $6.7 million. So its essentially a market value deal.
Aren’t there some star young forwards making 10 plus on the cap though, on their second contracts?

Reactions: nturn06

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad