Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYI] Islanders sign Ilya Sorokin to ELC (1 year, $925k) and 1 year extension ($2m AAV)

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
The field vs 1 guy,? Okeey
Similar to the McDavid year imo. McDavid would’ve won with ease if weren’t for injuries. Lafranier is that good ( no not as good as McDavid but he’ll be above his peers ) Kaprizov will be older but not sure if he’ll fit into the wild good.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
I agree with you lurker, Greiss was quite solid for us, when not over worked, he’d be a solid mentor for Hart too. In my opinion I felt they over worked the kid, and Greiss could help him

Maybe you should start posting more in the Isles' forum. Could use some fresh blood.

Reactions: Mr Misunderstood

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
Looks like I’ll be watching the NY showdown very closely next year

4 Russian goalies in the same game, what!???

You should watch the KHL farm leagues like the MHL, and the lower leagues. If you're a regular watcher of CHL games, one thing that will strike you is how good as a whole the goalies there are, miles better than what we have in Canada. If things remain as they are, we should see a greater amount of russian goalies in the NHL in the next few years, so much so that even though 4 russian goalies in the same game would still be rare, it wouldn't be as shocking as it is now.

I dare say that right now the best system for developping goaltenders isn't in Finland, as it used to be in the early 2000s, or Sweden, Canada and the US, but in Russia, a fact that dates back to bout 10-15 years ago, when they modernized their teachings and changed their coaching from the grassroots level up to the pro leagues in that regard.

Vasilevskyi, Bobrovsky, Samsonov, Sorokin, Georgiev, Askarov in this year's draft are all living representations of that change in paradigm, that evolution of coaching, exemplifying a radical switch from a time in the 1990s when goalies were the weakest link of the russian national team (though I liked Khabibulin) compared to now, where goaltending is actually one of their strengths and you could reasonably pick 4 different guys or so and be confident about them going into a best-on-best tournament.

Anyways, enough about that, just wanted to congratulate NYI fans on signing one of the absolute best players in the world outside the NHL to add to their team. Samsonov and Sorokin should push each other to do better, and may both be amongst the very best goaltenders of the league if things go well. They certainly have that potential.

Last edited:

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
Good move for Isles. They don't score much and the goalies they have been using are not legit. They have been covered up by a system for the most part. This was a move they needed to make. IMO, they need to dump Lou who lost it 15 years ago and the head coach. I see a coach who was the worst playoff coach in the history of the game with one of the games greatest players. He finally stepped in it one season and got past the second round to win a cup. He's basically ruining Barzal's offensive game. At some point, the Islanders need to go with a new GM and coach.

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY
Good move for Isles. They don't score much and the goalies they have been using are not legit. They have been covered up by a system for the most part. This was a move they needed to make. IMO, they need to dump Lou who lost it 15 years ago and the head coach. I see a coach who was the worst playoff coach in the history of the game with one of the games greatest players. He finally stepped in it one season and got past the second round to win a cup. He's basically ruining Barzal's offensive game. At some point, the Islanders need to go with a new GM and coach.

Yea logical next step is to fire barry trotz. :help:

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Similar to the McDavid year imo. McDavid would’ve won with ease if weren’t for injuries. Lafranier is that good ( no not as good as McDavid but he’ll be above his peers ) Kaprizov will be older but not sure if he’ll fit into the wild good.

And we don't know what team Alexis is even going to! Tavares didn't win the Calder in his year and he was the better prospect. I'm taking the field and the easy money.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
So his contract expires this year. He can’t play this year, and has to renegotiate another deal for next year?

I am probably wrong but it reads he signed a deal for 19-20

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016

you lost me on the whole Coach part

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
This is pretty sick for the Islanders. Start of a new era, I think.

Trotz new BFF.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
So his contract expires this year. He can’t play this year, and has to renegotiate another deal for next year?

I am probably wrong but it reads he signed a deal for 19-20

He did sign for 19/20. On paper and burns a year to become an RFA. That was the incentive for these guys to sign now. Burn a year off their elc. Sorokin was allowed to sign a 1 year ELC.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
He did sign for 19/20. On paper and burns a year to become an RFA. That was the incentive for these guys to sign now. Burn a year off their elc. Sorokin was allowed to sign a 1 year ELC.

Any word on what the deal would look like?
Have to wonder if a guy with Sorokin's pedigree wanted full schedule A and B bonus's to play under an ELC, and if he was willing to trade upside for certainty to settle at a slightly lower cap hit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad