Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYI] Islanders sign Ilya Sorokin to ELC (1 year, $925k) and 1 year extension ($2m AAV)

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Somebody told me the Islanders weren't allowed to sign a deal with Sorokin for 2020/21, I guess they were wrong. The 1 year extension makes the taking 8 hows to do a formality(basically giving him a 1 year ELC) make sense

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Under the Isles defensive system, he is going to post ridiculous numbers

He definitely should and it is not just the defensive system, but having a mix of talented and young defenders in Pulock, Pelech, Dobson, Toews, Mayfield, Leddy, etc. in front of him.

Reactions: Riseonfire

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He definitely should and it is not just the defensive system, but having a mix of talented and young defenders in Pulock, Pelech, Dobson, Toews, Mayfield, Leddy, etc. in front of him.

Think team D cause that's what Trotz focuses on... it's not just the actual Defenseman. The entire team plays a D first style and Trotz turned them around from one of the worse teams allowing goals to one of the best two seasons in a row now. Impressive.

Sorokin will not be exposed so he has a good shot at having great numbers. That 2nd year of $2M might be a steal.

Reactions: danteipp

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Think team D cause that's what Trotz focuses on... it's not just the actual Defenseman. The entire team plays a D first style and Trotz turned them around from one of the worse teams allowing goals to one of the best two seasons in a row now. Impressive.

Sorokin will not be exposed so he has a good shot at having great numbers. That 2nd year of $2M might be a steal.

I definitely agree about the team defense aspect, hence Barzal and others getting benched when they freelance too much. Everyone has to contribute and maintain their assignments and focus.

It is just a bonus having young and mobile defensemen (with good size) in Pulock, Pelech, Mayfield and Dobson. Terrific skaters in Leddy and Toews (depending on if Leddy is traded vs Toews being extended of course), plus players like Bode Wilde and Samuel Bolduc in the system.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I hate this comment so much.

Barry Trotz's Islanders use two goaltenders rather evenly during the regular season, 7M for TWO high end goaltenders is miles better than most teams' goaltending situation.
It will be interesting what the next number will be if he does play as well as some hope or expect him to since Varly would still have 3 more years on his deal.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
It will be interesting what the next number will be if he does play as well as some hope or expect him to since Varly would still have 3 more years on his deal.

It would be unlikely that we total more than 1 Bob for the two of them even after a stellar 20-21 season.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Lamoriello loves his quality Goalies. Having a Goalie prospect this good over early to work with Korn and Greco, can't wait to see the results.

Given what I;ve seen on tape Korn will be able to sit back with a couple of beers and offer a little nugget once in a while but I doubt there's a lot to do

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Saw he was just sent to the taxi squad. Weird year in the NHL this season for everyone and cant wait to see what he still eventually turns into

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad