Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYI] F Mathew Barzal signs extension with the Islanders (8 years, $9.15M AAV)

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
40 point player not even halfway thru the season. :)

No, your comment was that he was a 60 point player and your reasoning was that he hadn’t surpassed it since his rookie season. It’s ok to be wrong, but stand by your convictions. It’s clear you based it solely on stats because anyone who watched him regularly knew there was much more he was capable of.

Dude don't be obtuse. You know why you're wrong, it's really not complicated.

might need to research more: Kid hit 60 plus twice after his 85 point rookie NHL season. One of those seasons was in 68 games. playing for an uber defensive team system. Also, take a gander a how many players this century had more points in their rookie seasons? answer: very few, and those guys are heavy hitter sure bet Hall of Famers.

Any of you wanna still discuss ?

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
When you're the only player with skill on a team with little skill, its easy to shut them down.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Outside of Sorokin, he is the only elite level talent on the ice for the Islanders. Pretty easy to deal with a pass first player when you double team him & the guys he's passing to are pretty pedestrian.
He is a pass first player due to the fact he is average at scoring, extremely bad in the face off circle and therefore not an elite talent.

Very good second line center.

• Haha
Reactions: Foppberg

Accelleratii

Jul 25, 2010
Pennsylvania
Very few players can carry an offense by themselves. I look at the Islanders roster and I don't see many players that are above average save Sorokin and Dobson and that just isn't enough.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Very few players can carry an offense by themselves. I look at the Islanders roster and I don't see many players that are above average save Sorokin and Dobson and that just isn't enough.
Good players can also make players around them better, he does not.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Not everything is about the Leafs. Clearly they are on your mind though....
TBH, I was thinking about how the Leafs have a better center in Nylander who they have the luxury to play at wing. Then it stuck me how much he was going to get paid when his contract is up.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
TBH, I was thinking about how the Leafs have a better center in Nylander who they have the luxury to play at wing. Then it stuck me how much he was going to get paid when his contract is up.
I'm not sure how one would rate Nylander as a C. He doesn't have a large body of work there so I wouldn't be comfortable declaring him a better C than Barzal.

It's true he's earned a raise, it will be interesting how it all shakes out.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Larkin should be thanking Barzal for bringing up his ask with Detroit. Really don't think these guys are 9MM players but it's the going price.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Good players can also make players around them better, he does not.
To a certain extent, but those players still have to have *something* that allows them to capitalize on the chances.

First off, Barzal's not McDavid/prime Crosby. So let's not even bother listing their linemates to try and prove a point.

Second, which "next tier" top line center plays with really bad players and still manages to elevate them? Of the players who are roughly on par with Barzal, which ones have similar linemates? Every player who one would argue is roughly in the same tier as Barzal has at least one good linemate. Which ones have same/worse

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad