Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYI] F Mathew Barzal signs extension with the Islanders (8 years, $9.15M AAV)

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Neutral fan, trying to follow along. I too tend to believe more in actual output rather than ”pace”. You score 60’ish points in a season, you’re a 60pt player until you actually deliver more.

I have a hard time seeing an 85 point season 5 seasons ago and calling a player an 80pt player.

Good news, he could deliver an 80+pt season this year again, which at his salary should probably be the season floor in terms of production for him going forward on this deal.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Since you also seemed to have missed it, figured I'd quote you

In the 4 years after his rookie season, prior to this season (when my OP was made) he scored 62 or fewer points per game.

Doing the math with points per game average, it came up to 66 points per 82 games played

I called him a 60 point player in my OP

Dudes in this thread: "Why did you call him a 60 point player ! You are wrong ! It's not just how many points he scored (62 or less), we should do the math because you have no critical thinking and problem solving skills ! One could clearly deduce he'd score at a higher rate !"

Me: *does the math* "Comes up to 66 points per 82 games played in that 4 year span"

Dudes in this thread: *crickets*
So if Matthews keeps up his current pace of 40 goals this season will you concede he's only a 47 goal scorer?

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Since you also seemed to have missed it, figured I'd quote you

In the 4 years after his rookie season, prior to this season (when my OP was made) he scored 62 or fewer points per game.

Doing the math with points per game average, it came up to 66 points per 82 games played

I called him a 60 point player in my OP

Dudes in this thread: "Why did you call him a 60 point player ! You are wrong ! It's not just how many points he scored (62 or less), we should do the math because you have no critical thinking and problem solving skills ! One could clearly deduce he'd score at a higher rate !"

Me: *does the math* "Comes up to 66 points per 82 games played in that 4 year span"

Dudes in this thread: *crickets*
In the 5 years since Nylander's rookie year, prior to this season he scored at a 65 point pace. With your own rationale would you agree that Nylander is a 65 point player?

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
In the 5 years since Nylander's rookie year, prior to this season he scored at a 65 point pace. With your own rationale would you agree that Nylander is a 65 point player?

In that time period 100% Thats why he got paid 6.9M and not 10M like the 2 other stars.

He broke out last year with 80 points and looks like he might hit 90+ this year, if he can do it again this year he'll have elevated himself to PPG status and can be comfortably called a 80 point player.

As for Barzal, at the time my comment was made he had only played 5 NHL seasons. His 1st season being sheltered with Tavares he was ppg, for the rest of his career after that (4 years) he never eclipsed 62 points and averaged 66 points per game. It's a fair and factual statement. Now he might hit 80+ points again this year, if he can do it and repeat it again the following year, he'll also have elevated himself back into an 80 point player.

And you still haven't replied to my other posts, guess cause you realized you and all those other posters are wrong ?

Reactions: Craig Button

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
In that time period 100% Thats why he got paid 6.9M and not 10M like the 2 other stars.

He broke out last year with 80 points and looks like he might hit 90+ this year, if he can do it again this year he'll have elevated himself to PPG status and can be comfortably called a 80 point player.

As for Barzal, at the time my comment was made he had only played 5 NHL seasons. His 1st season being sheltered with Tavares he was ppg, for the rest of his career after that (4 years) he never eclipsed 62 points and averaged 66 points per game. It's a fair and factual statement. Now he might hit 80+ points again this year, if he can do it and repeat it again the following year, he'll also have elevated himself back into an 80 point player.

And you still haven't replied to my other posts, guess cause you realized you and all those other posters are wrong ?
No, I think you're arguing in bad faith and picking data & rationale to further your own argument.

From your curated timeframe, yes technically Barzal was a 60 point player. But you could cherry pick data & apply similar logic to make many players look a certain way.

The way I see it.. Barzal's first season he got sheltered behind Tavares & their coach was Jack Capuano, who had zero defensive system. In the next 4 years he's playing under Barry Trotz, enough said. And now this season he's under a coach that allows a more aggressive offensive system and he's back to a PPG pace.

I think a lot of people viewed him as someone who was being a bit neutered with a very defensive system, and if he was allowed a little more freedom than we'd see a points total come closer to his skill level, which is what we're seeing now.

But yes, using your timeframe and ignoring everything else, he was a 60 point player in that time.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Neutral fan, trying to follow along. I too tend to believe more in actual output rather than ”pace”. You score 60’ish points in a season, you’re a 60pt player until you actually deliver more.

I have a hard time seeing an 85 point season 5 seasons ago and calling a player an 80pt player.

Good news, he could deliver an 80+pt season this year again, which at his salary should probably be the season floor in terms of production for him going forward on this deal.
Some of it has been the defensive style of the Isles and lack of top end snipers to convert on chances, but at the end of the day, it’s hard to be a 85 pts player when you don’t even score 25 goals yourself.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
The irony here is you seem to be the only one struggling with math. "Math" requires some sort of problem solving, not just reading a number. Saying the # "60" isn't "math". Math would be "ok, he scored 60 points but only played 68 games...if we factor that out over a full 82 game season, his point totals go up to 70.58". See, that's math. Math requires some sort of work. Understand?

I will say though that your bad-faith-argument skills are top tier. Well done sir, you've got a real talent.

Now I shall carry on with my life, since this conversation is just so stupid....so dumb....so moronic.....that it has actually made my brain hurt.
Come on over to our Isles board. Hurt brains not only welcome encouraged

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
No, I think you're arguing in bad faith and picking data & rationale to further your own argument.

From your curated timeframe, yes technically Barzal was a 60 point player. But you could cherry pick data & apply similar logic to make many players look a certain way.

The way I see it.. Barzal's first season he got sheltered behind Tavares & their coach was Jack Capuano, who had zero defensive system. In the next 4 years he's playing under Barry Trotz, enough said. And now this season he's under a coach that allows a more aggressive offensive system and he's back to a PPG pace.

I think a lot of people viewed him as someone who was being a bit neutered with a very defensive system, and if he was allowed a little more freedom than we'd see a points total come closer to his skill level, which is what we're seeing now.

But yes, using your timeframe and ignoring everything else, he was a 60 point player in that time.

For accuracy sake... Capuano had a moderate defensive game. But the coach that year was Weight. Who had NO defensive game whatsoever. So your general point still stands.

Also, since this thread is so focused on facts:

Barzal is a point per game player when playing with another PPG player (Rookie year)

Barzal is NOT a PPG player when not playing with a PPG player (70 Point average per 82 games)

Barzal is NOT a PPG player when playing under Trotz (70 point average per 82 games)

Hopefully for the Isles and their fan's sake, they get more talent up front as it would likely improve their team. It would also provide a side benefit to answer some questions in this thread. Can Barzal be a PPG with more talent, different systems or both?

Reactions: Foppberg

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
Nah, this is all normal and the rest of the team’s fault:

So far this year:
- 18 games w/o goal streak
- 2x 5 games w/o goal streaks
- currently, 8 games and maybe counting w/o a goal.

He's going to be paid to be a driver of offence and has proven over and over again he can't do that.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
Do Isles fans think there is a chance he actually gets traded before his extension kicks in? Like what happened to PK Subban in Montreal?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad