Player Discussion: NYI Defense

Is NYI's defense good enough carry them to the playoffs?

• Yes

Votes: 44 65.7%
  • No

Votes: 9 13.4%
  • It will depend on coaching

Votes: 6 9.0%
  • It could depending on the forwards

Votes: 8 11.9%

• Total voters

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
He will get to pucks much sooner than Chara did. Even if he doesn't carry the puck out, if he can get to the puck first and turn up ice to make a pass (or even a dump), it's an improvement.
We might see the benefit more in our defense and goals against. I don’t know if it will translate into more goals for us. We don’t have enough shooters or finishers. We need better hands up front.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Plus with that improvement you noted, the 85 penalty minutes Chara amassed will be lessened thus easing strain on D and goaltending and giving us more even strength opportunities
Yeah even with 5 fights he still lead the D in penalty minutes. I'm also hoping Cizikas doesn't have a career year in PIMs either, he had 48 last year and only one other season with 40+ in his career so hopefully he comes into camp fresh and gets back to his game.

Reactions: Mike C

Islander Prophet

Oct 31, 2010
London, UK
Yes, and it’s not even close. Our number 5 dman is Mayfield… just ponder that for a second. We don’t just have a defense good enough to make the playoffs, I think the Isles will have one of the top 3 best defense squads in the league this year

Reactions: 19 in a row and JKP

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Not sure where else to ask this on the NYI board, but...

Any interest in a Formenton and Mayfield swap, or nah?
Not sure what your guys needs are tbh.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Yes, and it’s not even close. Our number 5 dman is Mayfield… just ponder that for a second. We don’t just have a defense good enough to make the playoffs, I think the Isles will have one of the top 3 best defense squads in the league this year
If I were the GM of the New York Islanders (which I'm not but should be), I'd already be in contact with Philadelphia and Seattle about Sanheim and Soucy.

Assuming NYI makes the playoffs next season, I think it would be critical to pick up one of these impending UFAs as "Pelech" insurance. Losing Pelech on the left side without would be eerily similar to when Lee got hurt two seasons ago missed the postseason, but both of the aforementioned guys would soften the blow similar to Palmieri did in lieu of Lee.

Worst case scenario, you have an insanely deep D corps.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
If I were the GM of the New York Islanders (which I'm not but should be), I'd already be in contact with Philadelphia and Seattle about Sanheim and Soucy.

Assuming NYI makes the playoffs next season, I think it would be critical to pick up one of these impending UFAs as "Pelech" insurance. Losing Pelech on the left side without would be eerily similar to when Lee got hurt two seasons ago missed the postseason, but both of the aforementioned guys would soften the blow similar to Palmieri did in lieu of Lee.

Worst case scenario, you have an insanely deep D corps.

NYI needs cap space, moving Mayfield doesn't really do that and he's too important to NYI's playoff hopes.

If you want Bailey, NYI will move him for the best offer that doesn't involve anything more than an ELC and pick coming back.

Tahoeblue

Nov 29, 2019
Reno/Tahoe

Yeah, possibly. Not trying to be a jerk here but isn't their grumblings about him being part of the WJC scandal? Lou runs a tight ship

Reactions: Mike C

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Yeah, possibly. Not trying to be a jerk here but isn't their grumblings about him being part of the WJC scandal? Lou runs a tight ship
That's why I'm dubious about him going for Patrick Kane who has been in legal troubles and has a reputation for being an immoral character

When I asked a good buddy of mine who is a sports host on Sirius/XM and lives in Chicago, about Kane he said " you're only a star for so long, he's never been an altar boy"

Not sure Kane fits Lou's definition of culture and family but what the hell do I know?

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
That's why I'm dubious about him going for Patrick Kane who has been in legal troubles and has a reputation for being an immoral character

When I asked a good buddy of mine who is a sports host on Sirius/XM and lives in Chicago, about Kane he said " you're only a star for so long, he's never been an altar boy"

Not sure Kane fits Lou's definition of culture and family but what the hell do I know?
Look up Reid Boucher, Lou doesn't really care and certainly wouldn't care about Kane's past.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Look up Reid Boucher, Lou doesn't really care and certainly wouldn't care about Kane's past.
All I can say after reading about this guy is that if Lou knew about this and as you suggest, doesn't really care, that is a troubling concept to me

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad