Player Discussion: NYI Defense

Is NYI's defense good enough carry them to the playoffs?

• Yes

Votes: 44 65.7%
  • No

Votes: 9 13.4%
  • It will depend on coaching

Votes: 6 9.0%
  • It could depending on the forwards

Votes: 8 11.9%

• Total voters

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Last year we saw the breakout of both Dobson and Sorokin, two key cogs for this organization moving forward. Pelech posted a career year statistically and has potential to post 30+ points next season, Pulock played at 30 point pace even after a having his season derailed by injury. Mayfield is in a contract year, and NYI acquired Romanov who isn't polished but should be motivated to develop into a mainstay top four defenseman in front of his buddy Sorokin going forward. Varlamov will likely begin the year as Sorokin's backup but is also in a contract year. There should be a decent battle for the 6th defensemen spot from Aho and Salo.

When you look at the defense on paper, it's not out of the question to think this is one of the strongest defense corps in the Metropolitan division, but do we think this group is good enough to carry the team into the playoffs in 2022-2023?

Last edited:

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011
They weren't good enough last season and so far the only new addition is a raw, young Romanov.

I don't see the result being any different this year unless the coaches & fwds BOTH get their shit together.

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
You don’t have anchors Chara and Greene weighting you down

Definite yes.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
They weren't good enough last season and so far the only new addition is a raw, young Romanov.

I don't see the result being any different this year unless the coaches & fwds BOTH get their shit together.
Do you think the long road trip to start the season + being one of the first teams to get ravaged by COVID + Pulock’s injury played a role in them not being “good enough” last season?

I also get the feeling that Trotz wasn’t an invested last season as the previous three years. Lambert is motivated and looking to make a name for himself, perhaps he’s noticed the league trending towards speed + skill and will demand more a more offensive mindset out of his defense.

MYIslanders

Oct 4, 2014
Defense won’t do it alone. They need to generate some offense otherwise there will be a lot of low scoring losses. That’s why I voted depends on the offense.

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011
Do you think the long road trip to start the season + being one of the first teams to get ravaged by COVID + Pulock’s injury played a role in them not being “good enough” last season?

I also get the feeling that Trotz wasn’t an invested last season as the previous three years. Lambert is motivated and looking to make a name for himself, perhaps he’s noticed the league trending towards speed + skill and will demand more a more offensive mindset out of his defense.
No, I don't. At least not enough to use it as an excuse.

Reactions: Glorydays22

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
It is 100% going to depend on the forwards which is not the answer you want with the way the forwards are currently constructed. They either need another top six forward to have an above average forward lineup or a top 4 defenseman to have a top defense in the league.

Without those things they have an average forward group and slightly above average defensive group with fantastic goaltending.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Hold that thought!

He'll decide in September if he wants to play. Let's hope Lou is still sleeping when that occurs
If they brought back Chara and he played more than just on the second half of back-to-backs I would be pissed.

1-5 on D? No way.
1 through 5? I don’t think so. Maybe some better top 1-3, but not 1-5 imo.
I think you could make the argument depending on how all these groups perform next season.

lafellaesobar

Jun 10, 2022
Adding in Romanov is huge, no matter what. it will seriously help us get back into being a team that can contend for a spot.

Reactions: Mike C

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
Romanov + a healthy Mayfield. Last year we not only had Chara but almost half a season of Aho. I would think current d plus goaltending is good enough to get us to the playoffs.

Goombha

Raging Ryan
Aug 27, 2013
What about the other 2/3 of the season? They looked like playing hockey was the last thing they wanted to do.

Skidrow11

Jul 16, 2022
Unfortunately to me, while this defense is exactly what Lou wants, to me it needs changes. Leddy and toews would help if they were on this team even at the expense of pullock and Mayfield. I like guys who can move the puck up the ice smoothly. Lou values defense, 1st, 2nd and last.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Unfortunately to me, while this defense is exactly what Lou wants, to me it needs changes. Leddy and toews would help if they were on this team even at the expense of pullock and Mayfield. I like guys who can move the puck up the ice smoothly. Lou values defense, 1st, 2nd and last.
But the one or two times a year Mayfield kicks somebody's ass is soooo satisfying to watch!

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
What about the other 2/3 of the season? They looked like playing hockey was the last thing they wanted to do.
Trotz had to be mentally checked out by that time and they were out of the race pretty early. That's not a valid excuse, but at the end of the day these players are humans, not robots. If all us fans knew it was steep hill to climb, imagine what the players thought...

Reactions: Seph

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I would not be surprised to see Dobson playing with Pelech this year on the #1 pairing. Pulock and Romanov on the #2 pairing playing in front of Sorokin. This is the present and future of the Isles foundation.

Reactions: The Real JT

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad