GDT: NYI @ COL: A New Year, I Bid Thee! (9ET - 7MT)

To Be or Not To Be?

• To Be

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • Not To Be

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • What Constitutes Being?

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • We Neither Are Nor Are Not

Votes: 14 45.2%

• Total voters

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
That's not true really. It's more about how horrible the team in front of him has been.
Yea, but no. He's been worse than his backups for a number of years. This year he's just barely above Dostal but the season isn't over yet.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Yea, but no. He's been worse than his backups for a number of years. This year he's just barely above Dostal but the season isn't over yet.
That doesn't necessarily mean as much as you think it does. We see teams play way harder in front of their backups than their starters in many cases. Pretty sure there was a stretch where the Avs were amazing when Frankie was in net and not so much when Kuemper(?) was.

And he shouldn't be wildly outplaying the goalie slated to replace him, should he?

Besides, when it comes to GSAA, Gibson is WAY ahead of Dostal.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Cumulatively over the last three seasons of goalies to play minimum 1500 minutes (72 in total), Gibson is:

65th in GSAA
3rd in xGA
1st in HD shots against
23rd in HDSV%
15th in rush attempts against

I think two things are clear with Gibson:

1) He is no longer an elite goaltender and has now become an average goaltender who MIGHT still be capable of stealing you games

2) He clearly does not give a single shred of a shit playing on the god awful Anaheim Ducks, who seem like they have been in a state of rebuilding for over half a decade now and getting pissed on by team after team nightly (see: Toronto, 57 shots last night)

I would not be willing to take the risk that he might still be the guy he was early in his career at that cap hit.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
What a soft excuse. The advanced stats say he was above-average goalie in his first four full seasons. Near Vezina quality actually. After that its been mediocre at best, pretty bad at worst. Is that because he didn't bother to put in an effort because they were losing? Could be but why would you risk a lot of cap space and assets on that being the case? If he wants to rescue his career by being a winning goalie, he should step up his game and prove he's worth respect.
No I didn’t say he wasn’t trying, I’m saying the team in front of him just plain sucked. Any defense built around Cam freaking Fowler is simply not good enough.

And I’d have to take a closer look at those numbers but it’s no secret that Gibson has been plagued by injury in his career. That’s the one caveat with him.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
No I didn’t say he wasn’t trying, I’m saying the team in front of him just plain sucked. Any defense built around Cam freaking Fowler is simply not good enough.

And I’d have to take a closer look at those numbers but it’s no secret that Gibson has been plagued by injury in his career. That’s the one caveat with him.
Really it doesn't matter why he was playing as he has or if he's an injury risk. I just don't see him as an upgrade over what the Avs have. I think AG just wore out after having to play every game to start the year and needs to get on a good schedule with some nights off and he'll be fine. Not elite but plenty good enough to win in the playoffs with the Avs system and talent. Getting Gibson is making a bet on him returning to his form 5 years ago and I just can't see the Avs buying into that.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Really it doesn't matter why he was playing as he has or if he's an injury risk. I just don't see him as an upgrade over what the Avs have. I think AG just wore out after having to play every game to start the year and needs to get on a good schedule with some nights off and he'll be fine. Not elite but plenty good enough to win in the playoffs with the Avs system and talent. Getting Gibson is making a bet on him returning to his form 5 years ago and I just can't see the Avs buying into that.
TBH I’m not pushing for the Avs to get Gibson. I agree he’s no longer elite and the Ducks foolishly waited WAY too long to deal him. I’m just saying he’s an upgrade over Georgiev.

I don’t think this is just a slump though. I just don’t think Georgiev is a legit NHL starter.

That said there isn’t a massive upgrade out there so they just gotta find a decent backup and focus on addressing the 2C issue.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad