GDT: NYI @ COL: A New Year, I Bid Thee! (9ET - 7MT)

To Be or Not To Be?

• To Be

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • Not To Be

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • What Constitutes Being?

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • We Neither Are Nor Are Not

Votes: 14 45.2%

• Total voters

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
The Isles top pair out hurts, but this was kinda just who they are this season. They are firewagon hockey and it can be entertaining, but it certainly isn't high quality.

On the Isles note, I'm not sure if there is a good nhl player that I hate their style of play more than Barzal. He's a talented player and he's going to put up points... but he's lazy, floats, cheats, hasn't found a 1 on 3 he doesn't love, passes up the smart plays to make the selfish play, etc etc. He just drives me utterly insane and I'm glad he's not here.

niwotsblessing

May 1, 2010
City of Holy Faith
On the Isles note, I'm not sure if there is a good nhl player that I hate their style of play more than Barzal. He's a talented player and he's going to put up points... but he's lazy, floats, cheats, hasn't found a 1 on 3 he doesn't love, passes up the smart plays to make the selfish play, etc etc. He just drives me utterly insane and I'm glad he's not here.
You're also describing Rants.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

Here's the goalies of this yean in all situations who have played 975+ minutes (33 goalies).

George is 25th in Sv%, 16th in GAA, 25th in GSAA/60 (at a -.18), 13th in HDSV%, 32nd in MDSV%, 11th in LDSV%

He's slightly above average to average in high danger shots, above average in low danger shots, and only Darcy Kuemper is worse in the league at medium danger shots. The theory is medium danger shots should be saved around 89% of the time give or take.... George is saving 85%.

This all points to a goalie that is playing significantly below average. Nobody is asking for Vezina. They are simply asking for the MDSV% to be with the HD and LD. Be Gustavsson, Mrazek, Thompson, Merzlikins...
The scariest part? His HDSV% on the PK is so good.

He's genuinely been trash at even strength.
The Isles top pair out hurts, but this was kinda just who they are this season. They are firewagon hockey and it can be entertaining, but it certainly isn't high quality.

I now fully realize why he was drafted in the mid-teens in 2015. When you watch him briefly you see insane speed, edge work, hands. Then you realize he's a guy who has no f***ing clue how to best make use of his unbelievable talent.

It's telling that he went from "John Tavares replacement" to "Bo Horvat's RW" in 7 seasons.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
You're also describing Rants.
Barzal is basically taking all the worst qualities of Rants and Duchene to create the most aggravating hockey player in the world. I see his talent and ability... and I get why people like him. From my perspective though, he's about the last 'good' hockey player I'd want on my team. I'd legitimately rather have Duchene and he drove me insane. :laugh:

The scariest part? His HDSV% on the PK is so good.

He's genuinely been trash at even strength.

I now fully realize why he was drafted in the mid-teens in 2015. When you watch him briefly you see insane speed, edge work, hands. Then you realize he's a guy who has no f***ing clue how to best make use of his unbelievable talent.

It's telling that he went from "John Tavares replacement" to "Bo Horvat's RW" in 7 seasons.
Yeah George just really hasn't been consistently good by any metric. The one that kills me is the soft goals... if it was one every 3-4 games, nobody would care. Soft goals happen. But he is legitimately like Abby 2.0 right now. At best he's averaging a soft goal every other game.. many times it feels like he's letting soft goals for 4-5-6 games in a row. The issue can be outscored in spurts, especially in the regular season... but as the Seattle series showed, you do that for 4-5 games in a series and odds are high you lose that series.

Yeah the physical talent is so clear to see, but he just has no idea what to do with it.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
I know some of you are disappointed in Georgiev, but you also need to realize that there is no upgrade available in net when you look at the goaltending around the league. You got guys like Talbot leading the way for Vezina while Shesterkin, Vasilevskiy and other top goalies are struggling.

Unless you give up a ton to get someone like Saros for example, there is just no goalie upgrade out there, and Avs aren’t gonna give up a ton to get a goalie then resign him to a big contract. Goalies are just unpredictable. Georgiev can very well turn things around and finish the year with a 912 or 915 save percentage or he can remain at 900. You never know with goalies
Something has to be done if he continues like this going into the deadline. We can win a round maybe even two with no 2C, but without a starting goalie we're not winning a round.

Reactions: BrickNHL

AvBuff

May 1, 2019
I take a 10,000 foot view. Thanks to expansion and a salary cap, every single team in the NHL has a hole somewhere. Some good teams have a couple of holes. But no team is stacked up and down the line-up . . . with an elite goaltender. With the Avs its 2C and maybe - maybe - at goalie. Too soon to tell. Goalies are like golfers and field goal kickers - complete headcases who go on streaks. Georgiev is certainly capable of pulling his head out and going on a run. But AG doesn't need to be elite. Just good. Luckily, "good" in his strike zone. All things considered, I'll take the Avs issues right now over most teams.

To win the Cup, you gotta be good, you gotta be a little lucky and you gotta be healthy . . . at the right time. The Avs are as capable of pulling all of that together in April as anybody.

Tampa Bay had (has) a history of playing with its food during the regular season and then doing a focus 180 during the playoffs. I think the Avs are a little bit like that right now.

We'll see.

Reactions: willy702

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Something has to be done if he continues like this going into the deadline. We can win a round maybe even two with no 2C, but without a starting goalie we're not winning a round.
Whoever they get to be an upgrade in net is gonna be an expensive rental. No way Avs will do that. Who can they get to be an upgrade? Saros? Gibson?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Whoever they get to be an upgrade in net is gonna be an expensive rental. No way Avs will do that. Who can they get to be an upgrade? Saros? Gibson?
Any move the Avs make in net won't be an 'upgrade'... it'll be a backup plan. Think more Jake Allen than Saros. With the level of play that George is showing, it is too risky to not have a plan B.

NateTheGreat

Mar 19, 2012
Winnipeg
I wonder if the Ducks would retain on Gibson in a Gibson/Georgiev swap. Dostal/Georgiev is a solid tandem for them and the Avs gamble on a longer term contract.

Snow Arc

We have to shout above the din of our RiceCrispies
Aug 14, 2020
Exciting game, too bad it's the same shit every night.

29 and 13 carry the load. Without them we'd be f***ed.

George plays like shit and makes a game we should have probably won 4-2 into an eeked out OT win. Another solid 4 goals against on 22 shots. Not sure what else the Avs can do for him. At some point he has to start making saves. You're team allows 22 shots you can't be giving up 4. Even if some of those shots are quality you still have to make a save. A team physically can't hold the other team to 0 shots and the other team will get scoring chances. But when it's as limited as it was last night 4 goals can't go in.

96 was invisible again. Who would have ever guessed being lazy would result in bad play. Sure glad he got motivated one game to show Ismo and then talk shit to the media. He's got to figure this shit out, sick of watching the 9M+ guy float around and not do much.

Drouin another solid night. Good for him. I ripped him about as hard as anyone, but he's really worked hard to become a useful player.
I'll bet Toews was talking specifically, and possibly exclusively, about Rants

Reactions: niwotsblessing

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I wonder if the Ducks would retain on Gibson in a Gibson/Georgiev swap. Dostal/Georgiev is a solid tandem for them and the Avs gamble on a longer term contract.
If they retain at least 2 mill maybe it could work but I’m not sure they would

Bensch88

Jan 15, 2012
Germany

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240104_004944_DEL.jpg
    Screenshot_20240104_004944_DEL.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 2

niwotsblessing

May 1, 2010
City of Holy Faith
Barzal is basically taking all the worst qualities of Rants and Duchene to create the most aggravating hockey player in the world. I see his talent and ability... and I get why people like him. From my perspective though, he's about the last 'good' hockey player I'd want on my team. I'd legitimately rather have Duchene and he drove me insane. :laugh:
:laugh:

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
I believe the refs made the correct call. There was a delayed penalty against NYI, so as soon as Nichushkin gets that shot off and Sorokin clearly stops it then IMO the play should be blown dead. Can't have guys coming in jabbing at goalie's gloves. I never expected that to be called a goal.
Sure..... I didn't think the call would be overturned either. For different reasons tho....

New possession is required to stop play. Not just stopping a shot. NYI's goalie covered the puck with his glove but MacK's near instantaneous push with his stick proved it was loose underneath his glove and immediately squirted free and into the net.

MacK wasn't even accosted for his action it happened slam bam and fast.

So I thought about how the ref's arrived at this conclusion.... and smelled CYA.

It was ruled no goal on the ice. I recognize that to over-rule the on ice call, there has to be compelling evidence (that would be the video replay). I thought Jared challenged the call??

If there had not been a delayed penalty being called, what other reason could be used to rule no goal? The whistle had not been blown before the puck went into the net. And players have for years dug out pucks from goalies gloves in case play hadn't been stopped. (Every offensive player knows to do this. We do not play a passive game. And we used to teach goalies to cover their glove with their stick blocker to make sure a puck couldn't be shook loose.)

Well, the ref's gave the Avs the 4 on 3 PP as an offering. Apparently, the answer satisfied Bednar.

I wonder... did anyone ask Jared what he thought about the play? Especially if he challenged the call on the ice.

No matter. It's all in the history books at this point.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Why do people still think Gibson is some sort of upgrade? The dude has not been good in over 5 years.

Reactions: Azrael89

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
That's not true really. It's more about how horrible the team in front of him has been.
What a soft excuse. The advanced stats say he was above-average goalie in his first four full seasons. Near Vezina quality actually. After that its been mediocre at best, pretty bad at worst. Is that because he didn't bother to put in an effort because they were losing? Could be but why would you risk a lot of cap space and assets on that being the case? If he wants to rescue his career by being a winning goalie, he should step up his game and prove he's worth respect.

Reactions: Balthazar

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4