Confirmed Trade: [NYI/CGY] Travis Hamonic, 4th round pick for 1st round pick, 2 2nds

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
It's umm... black.

Man that new jersey is weird. I'm wondering why he's not wearing #3.
My theory is it is double 12, which was his number in Brandon and 12 is off the market here for obvious reasons.

Another theory I have is he became a Flames fan while the Jets didn't have an NHL as he would have been about 13-14 years old during our Finals run and wanted to wear Conroy's number. But Conroy wore #22 during that stint with the Flames, so I am just grasping at straws lol

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Well if you cheer fro the Flames the feelings become less mixed ;)

It's in our(isles) best interest for the flames to lose because of the draft picks. We won't be like the Buffalo fans though who were rooting for isles players get injured so it would improve their draft pick.

The flames are the anti oilers. I remember a couple of years ago the flames had nothing to play for and they could have sat players to "tank" for a better draft position but they played their full line up and they played hard and tried to win every game.

I'm extremely happy for Hamonic that he goes to Calgary and not Edmonton.

Take care of our boy. He's a good one.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
It's in our(isles) best interest for the flames to lose because of the draft picks. We won't be like the Buffalo fans though who were rooting for isles players get injured so it would improve their draft pick.

The flames are the anti oilers. I remember a couple of years ago the flames had nothing to play for and they could have sat players to "tank" for a better draft position but they played their full line up and they played hard and tried to win every game.

I'm extremely happy for Hamonic that he goes to Calgary and not Edmonton.

Take care of our boy. He's a good one.
I promise to treat him like we raised him ourselves.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I tweeted one of the Flames beat reporters and asked if anyone inquired as to why he chose to go with #24. If I hear anything I will be sure to post it.

May 23, 2007
Calgary
I like Burkie and I hope this works out for him and the Flames fan base but I would be very concerned that they do not have a pick till round 4 next year and no pick in the 2nd and 3rd round in 2019. It reminds me of the Kessel move all over again. It's not sustainable.

Just my opinion.

I would be extremely worried if our core wasn't as young as it is.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I would be extremely worried if our core wasn't as young as it is.
Why? This is the 3rd time I've said it in this thread alone. In a 5 year period from 2014 to 2018 (assuming no picks are added or moved, in the top 3 rounds the Flames are down a total of 3 picks. They are down two 1st round picks, up a second round pick and down 2 third round picks, all while acquiring Hamilton, Hamonic, Lazar, Stone, Elliott and Bollig with just picks in that time. We have acquired 8 additional picks (so far) in the top 3 rounds over that 5 year period, it is what allows us to be able to move picks without it being worrying. Any worry or concern is completely unfounded.

In addition to that, if you go back 1 year further, to 2013 the Flames had 3 first round picks.

Aug 21, 2014
Why? This is the 3rd time I've said it in this thread alone. In a 5 year period from 2014 to 2018 (assuming no picks are added or moved, in the top 3 rounds the Flames are down a total of 3 picks. They are down two 1st round picks, up a second round pick and down 2 third round picks, all while acquiring Hamilton, Hamonic, Lazar, Stone, Elliott and Bollig with just picks in that time. We have acquired 8 additional picks (so far) in the top 3 rounds over that 5 year period, it is what allows us to be able to move picks without it being worrying. Any worry or concern is completely unfounded.

In addition to that, if you go back 1 year further, to 2013 the Flames had 3 first round picks.

and we've traded for 2 additional first round picks from that draft.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
and we've traded for 2 additional first round picks from that draft.
yeah.... that's why we had 3 first round picks. We had no seconds and just 1 third that year. But this team hasdone a great job in adding picks since Sutter was relieved of the GM duties.

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
Calgary is now my team in the west. Hammer will rebound. Happy he got closer to home and happy we got decent value

May 23, 2007
Calgary

I don't know if what I said wasn't worded correctly but I'm saying that I'm not worried because our core is young and like you said, we've acquired a lot of other picks. I agree with you.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Typical CGY fan lol.

The two defensemen are completely different players. You're comparing a DFD to an OFD that had a -21 playing with De Haan lol. Hard to call Hamonic a top defender when he's been regressing hard for two seasons..
and why use Hamonics 14-16 season and Larssons 15-17 season?

sandhu111

Mar 17, 2008
Edmonton, AB
I don't watch to much flames hockey, has he been playing as bad as his stat line. They've been horrible the last two years
2016-17New York IslandersNHL493111460-21----------
2017-18Calgary FlamesNHL1811226-6
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
They gave up alot for him a first and two seconds, doesn't seem like he's been living up to it. That's alot of minus for a defensive defenseman.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
I don't watch to much flames hockey, has he been playing as bad as his stat line. They've been horrible the last two years
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
They gave up alot for him a first and two seconds, doesn't seem like he's been living up to it. That's alot of minus for a defensive defenseman.
looks like he hasn't been good. i'm surprised it costed so much to acquire him. garth snow looks like a genius on this trade. getting a lot of good futures for a guy who wanted to leave. he set up a potential rebuild quite well

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Yep, he's been playing as bad as his stat line. Not sure if he just can't adjust to the new team, or if his play has dropped off due to injury, but he gets beaten often, and tends to leave a lot of open ice when opponents are entering the zone.

I think the trade was a gamble from day one, because from what I understand his previous season with NYI wasn't very good (on paper or on the ice), so the hope was that it was a blip in his career.

Reactions: Dack

sandhu111

Mar 17, 2008
Edmonton, AB
Yep, he's been playing as bad as his stat line. Not sure if he just can't adjust to the new team, or if his play has dropped off due to injury, but he gets beaten often, and tends to leave a lot of open ice when opponents are entering the zone.

I think the trade was a gamble from day one, because from what I understand his previous season with NYI wasn't very good (on paper or on the ice), so the hope was that it was a blip in his career.
Which pairing do they have him playing on right now.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I predicted he would have some problems playing in the Western Conference against the bigger teams. I'm assuming that he is starting to adjust now due to how well Calgary is playing.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009

True, but there was injuries involved too, so not only was it viewed as a blip but also had a bit of a cause in it as well. I wonder if his injuries haven't recovered? Wrist at first and then thumb.

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
Which pairing do they have him playing on right now.

Mostly the second pairing with Brodie. They looked great the first 6 or so games but something changed since then. Even Brodie has looked off lately.

Recently Brodie looked better the game Hamonic was injured and played with Stone. Not not sure what that says about Hamonic

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Mostly the second pairing with Brodie. They looked great the first 6 or so games but something changed since then. Even Brodie has looked off lately.

Recently Brodie looked better the game Hamonic was injured and played with Stone. Not not sure what that says about Hamonic

Hamonic always had rather... I'll say fickle chemistry with his partners. deHaan-Hamonic? Great pairing, work together well. Leddy-Hamonic? Both players looked worse every time they had a shift. Might need a bit more of an adjustment period where you try him with different partners before you find a match as good as deHaan.

DropIt

Oct 21, 2009
Red Deer, AB
Took Dougie Hamilton until around Christmas to learn the system in Calgary for his first season, not sure why Hamonic isn't expected to do the same

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad