Confirmed Trade: [NYI/CGY] Travis Hamonic, 4th round pick for 1st round pick, 2 2nds

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
20 Games into the season... strong assessment.

Yeah, new team and all, I'll give you 5 games more since 20-25 is the mark where teams more or less know where their team and roster players stand and what direction they are headed.

Doubtful a marked improvement is forthcoming for him, though.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Is Harmonic a nickname for him, or is this just people not knowing his last name like how some people refer to Nicklas Lidstrom and Lindstrom?

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Is Harmonic a nickname for him, or is this just people not knowing his last name like how some people refer to Nicklas Lidstrom and Lindstrom?
Quite simple. Autocorrect. I've had my phone change hamonics name but I am extra careful because people couldn't understand that it exists.

Already explained. Oops.

Reactions: Skobel24

dogbazinho

May 24, 2006
Fairfax, VA
Seems like a good return for Hamonic. I'd like some other fans that think they are going to pay similar amounts for better D to rethink their proposals.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Hamonic has been good for the Flames not sure where all these negatives reviews are coming from unless it is the nerds looking at bogus numbers to spin their narrative.

I would make that trade 1000 times out of 1000. Not close to an overpayment and I would be pissed if I were an Isles fan and only got that for him.

The worst part of Hamonic's game is having to cover so much for Brodie and that in no way is his fault.

Reactions: IODCPiper

isles55

Mar 7, 2015
Hamonic typically plays better and scores more in the second half of the season.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Definitely hasn't played as well as he was expected to or as i expected him too imho. Im not sure what it is, but this trade may really start to get ugly for the flames, depending on if Hamonic can pick it up. Im happy that the leafs ultimately didn't pull the trigger on this one and just stuck to the low-risk signing of Hainsey+keeping our assests. (Hainsey has been much better than Hamonic as well)

Last edited:

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Definitely hasn't played as well as he was expected to or as i expected him too imho. Im not sure what it is, but this trade may really start to get ugly for the flames, depending on if Hamonic can pick it up. Im happy that the leafs ultimately didn't pull the trigger on this one and just stuck to the low-risk signing of Hainsey+keeping our assests. (Hainsey has been much better than Hamonic as well)

And how do you know that? By point production? Are you even awake when the Flames play?

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Hamonic had several strong seasons before struggling last season. One bad season among 6-7.

I notice most of the criticism is coming from Calgary's rivals or teams that tried and failed to get Hamonic.

I actually watch quite a few of the flames games because i was really salty that we didn't get him at the time (always thought he'd be a perfect partner for Rielly) and want to track him lol. Both Brodie and Hamonic have not been good.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
Snow is weird that way, he pulls off some very good stuff and then does something really bad. Vanek was a mess, and the Ladd signing seems to have been a mistake. Overall not close to as bad as the rep he gets sometimes.

The Vanek trade turned into a nothing burger. In fact, why we have Barzal in part because we gave Buffalo our 1st and then Garth got us back in the 1st round for 2 picks that year. The other player, Ho-Sang

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Hamonic is just not a very good hockey player and never has been. Flames overpaid.

Hamonic has been fine. he's just not really meshed with Brodie and Brodie hasnt been himself either, its probably not knowing each other well enough yet.

plus Its common knowledge in St Malo that Hamonic's Mom is Suffering from Alzheimers so it cant be easy playing with that kind of burden hanging over your head.....

Hamonic is a natural leader he'll be fine just give him time It was a good trade when it was made especially since the Oilers Also wanted him, heck they still do

Last edited:

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Agreed. Snow likes to fleece Alberta GM's.
he didnt fleece anyone Calgary got Hamonic for the same as the paid for Hamilton and they will both pay off, Hamonic is a warrior when he's on his game, given time he will be again

none other than Evgeni Malkin said he was the hardest D to play against, so you gotta think he knows better than us.

and Reinhart was all on Green who coached him in juniors who told Chiarelli he was a stud. Chiarelli was new in edmonton and he trusted their people, he learned a hard lesson, but he didnt know their fromt office was full of clowns

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Hamonic had several strong seasons before struggling last season. One bad season among 6-7.

I notice most of the criticism is coming from Calgary's rivals or teams that tried and failed to get Hamonic.

I have nothing against Calgary and as a NYR fan i watch a good amount of NYI games aswell. Dont know what other people have said but Hamonic was awful last season. He struggled with injuries but still, he was very very bad last season. Might be why he hasnt been great(it seems like?) with Calgary and injuries still cause a problem for him but have to remember that he has never been close to a top pairing defensemen either so i dont know... Havent watched Calgary much this season so cant really comment that much on his play so far for you.
He can certainly be a solid second pair defensemen when he is on but i wouldnt say that he is a consistent very good top 4D from the way he has played the last 2-3 years.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
I have nothing against Calgary and as a NYR fan i watch a good amount of NYI games aswell. Dont know what other people have said but Hamonic was awful last season. He struggled with injuries but still, he was very very bad last season. Might be why he hasnt been great(it seems like?) with Calgary and injuries still cause a problem for him but have to remember that he has never been close to a top pairing defensemen either so i dont know... Havent watched Calgary much this season so cant really comment that much on his play so far for you.
He can certainly be a solid second pair defensemen when he is on but i wouldnt say that he is a consistent very good top 4D from the way he has played the last 2-3 years.
except the Islanders owned the rangers the entire time Which was in a large part due to Hamonic doing the grunt work.

the Isles were 7-1 against the rangers those 2 years were they not? and 10-3 over the last 3. Nash said he never could get out of Hamonics shadow. thats the thing about this kid, he plays better when it matters.....give him time he's a warrior

theres a reason Ranger fans hate him , its called sour grapes. Flames fans and Treliving know what they traded for

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
except the Islanders owned the rangers the entire time Which was in a large part due to Hamonic doing the grunt work.

the Isles were 7-1 against the rangers those 2 years were they not? and 10-3 over the last 3. Nash said he never could get out of Hamonics shadow. thats the thing about this kid, he plays better when it matters.....give him time he's a warrior

theres a reason Ranger fans hate him , its called sour grapes. Flames fans and Treliving know what they traded for
What are you talking about? I dont hate him? One individual is not the reason for why a team has a good record in the reg season against another. The truth is, Hamonic was barely NHL level last season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad