Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYI] Casey Cizikas signing with the Islanders (6 years, $2.5M AAV)

Leksand

Oct 30, 2013
Northern VA
If this is true, it's basically a case of less AAV for a couple more years
In a time span when the salary cap can be expected to finally be raised. (I'd guess by quite a bit - but have no real basis for that.)

And of course the GM is not likely to be there anymore...

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Casey taking 850k less AVV as a UFA than his last contract illustrates a player buying into a team's cap structure and not the league's cap structure. Great deal for the Isles, extra 2 years is deserved for player showing loyalty that wants to make the cap more friendly for the team, this will reverberate positively throughout the line up. Isles will take care of their own, if the player is willing to take a team friendly deal.

Reactions: frankieboy

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
One thing a lot of teams may not know about Cizikas is not just his dedication, smart, and willing to engage physically and take the beatings in tight spaces, but he is an important player in the dressing room. He has been a leader all through out his hockey life, been captain on multiple teams and he lightens up a dressing room with his smiles. His value is not just what you see on ice, but how he can inspires his teammates with his play and gel the team. He is like a glue.

Isles will not be able to keep him if they can't agree on the terms. He would be a Kracken today if the term was not there. Isles will not be able to replace him easily. The cap on the last 3 years should be fine as the cap will rise in 3 years hopefully. I think this is a good contract for both him and Isles.

Also as many fans point out, Isles window would be the next 3 years anyway and Lou most likely will retire by then.

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
I'm not sure thats true and even if it is, he is still a 4th liner. I just don't understand tying yourself to a 4th line player for six years, especially one that is 30 years old.

I like seeing some of the creative ways gms are adapting to the flat cap.
Giving extra term is a no-brainer since there are so many variables in play, cap going each year, injury forcing LTIR, etc. The Halak deal of a 1.5 base along with 1.5 in bonuses that are meant to be easily reached is another good example.
2.5 million in 3 years will be a similar cap % of what 1-1.5 million?

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
In a vacuum the contract is probably fine. It's the fact that Martin and are signed for multiple years. I guess if Clutterbuck walks it makes them easier to digest.
I think Martin's got 3 yrs left on his deal.
I wouldn't mind seeing Clutterbuck walk.Of the three 4th liners, he is showing the most age and wear & tear.

Smokey McCanucks

PuckDaddy "Perfect HFBoard Trade Proposal 02/24/14
Dec 21, 2010
I like how Lamoriello always waits until everyone is done with their vacation to get down to business. I also like how Cizikas plays hockey. Great value here for everyone.

Disgraced Cosmonaut

Oct 26, 2002
Visit site
I think Martin's got 3 yrs left on his deal.
I wouldn't mind seeing Clutterbuck walk.Of the three 4th liners, he is showing the most age and wear & tear.

If Clutter breaks down this year, he may be done. Even then, I could see him returning for 1 more year at 1MM.
If he doesn't break down, I think he's back at 1.75MM for 1, 3MM over two years, or 3.75MM over 3. He and Martin are two sides of the coin, so 1.5 over 2 seems possible.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00