Confirmed with Link: NY Rangers re-sign Cam Talbot [1 year/$1.45M extension]

Poozer

Jun 25, 2008
New York
Excellent! If he keeps up the numbers this year and next, he'll likely make excellent trade bait, and if not, he's been a solid backup for us.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
he may not have gotten an offer to be a starter on another team this summer but hed have gotten an offer to play on a team that doesnt have a legendary goalie playing 60+ games in front of him.

NewLife

Apr 29, 2011
Oslo
While giving up a lot of cash for now, working with Allaire and Hank for another year could possibly serve him more in the future. Awesome to have him back though, I really didn't count on it.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
If I were a team looking for a new starting goalie, I'd have to hope there would be more intriguing options than Cam Talbot.

and what are there? Bryz is signed, Marty is signed...

Tim Thomas? Next year the best FA goalie is Niemi aka playoff chokeup...

There are really no goalies out there. Why do you think Rutherford re-signed Fluery for 4 years?

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
It is nearly $900,000 more than the current cap hit for Talbot. $887,500 more to be exact. Less money for the Rangers to allocate to other players. Management took care of the easiest contract extension first.

$71M cap. The loonie is 86 cents. Nearly $47M in 12 players. Stepan will take up the entire cap increase and then some.

PromNite

Know Your Enemy
Apr 30, 2007
Tampa, FL
It is nearly $900,000 more than the current cap hit for Talbot. $887,500 more to be exact. Less money for the Rangers to allocate to other players. Management took care of the easiest contract extension first.

$71M cap. The loonie is 86 cents. $47M in 12 players. Stepan will take up the entire cap increase and then some.

I was thinking along these same lines. We're gonna give Step a raise, keep MSL (likely) and then I don't know what else.

AHB*

I do.

I don't care who the goalie in in Edm, that team is going to make you look real bad.

That said, Victor Fasth is better than Cam. Scrivens is better.

What team out there needs a goalie?

Job market for goalies is pretty thin which is why they don't get market value in trades.

There's no other team that I can see that Cam would be a shoe in as a starter.

It's no knock on the guy. He's a very good back up and is being paid (and more importantly played) like one.

I'm sure he and his agent surveyed the field of potential destinations and did not find one spot that he could parlay into a bigger contract and a starting job.

It's what good agents do

Places I think he might be given a shot to take over the starting role at some point.

Washington
Toronto
Minnesota
St. Louis
Winnepeg
Buffalo
Carolina
Arizona
Edmonton
Possibly Philly

There are quite a few destinations that would at least give him a shot. There is no way he is getting one here with Hank. If he continues to play the way I expect, his stats over the past two years would undeniably have at least allowed him to go to some place that would give him a significant look.

I'm very happy to have him, but there are very few starting goalies these days that are a given. We are seeing quite a few time shares and even of those starting goalies, many look significantly flawed, more so than Cam does at times.

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind Cam could have gotten more money and a better opportunity elsewhere. Thinking otherwise is naive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad