Confirmed with Link: NY Rangers re-sign Cam Talbot [1 year/$1.45M extension]

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Love this deal. Lock up Talbot for another year. He has been a very good back-up here in NY. Allows for Skapski/Halverson/Shesty to develop another year although I hope Talbot is around for a while. Very calm.

RangerFan23

Jul 28, 2010
Trade value is often more about "how good you are compared to your contact (and when it expires)" rather than "how good you are". Talbot just became a lot more valuable trade chip should the Rangers decide one of the young guys is ready and move Talbot this summer.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Realistically they are the only team looking for a goalie aside from WSH (whose only heard rumors about)
If I were a team looking for a new starting goalie, I'd have to hope there would be more intriguing options than Cam Talbot.

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
Good signing.

Talbot been solid in his role and is one of the better backup goalies in the league, but odds are he wouldn't be a top starter in the NHL, especially on a team like a Edmonton. He's in a great position to succeed here as a backup so I'm not entirely surprised he opted to extend instead of seeking out a starting job with another team.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Love it... They couldn't afford to lose a reliable piece like that. I wish it was a 3 year deal but hey, he's here and it prevents a need from coming up.

we want cup

Apr 12, 2007
NYC
I doubt he'd have had much of a shot at a starting job elsewhere given how few games he's played. At best he could have hoped to work himself into a true timeshare, but in that situation he probably wouldn't have gotten paid much more than this, anyway.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Good deal. Personally I thought Cam was going to look elsewhere if for no other reason than to get more playing time somewhere else.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I don't really think this is true!

I do.

I don't care who the goalie in in Edm, that team is going to make you look real bad.

That said, Victor Fasth is better than Cam. Scrivens is better.

What team out there needs a goalie?

Job market for goalies is pretty thin which is why they don't get market value in trades.

There's no other team that I can see that Cam would be a shoe in as a starter.

It's no knock on the guy. He's a very good back up and is being paid (and more importantly played) like one.

I'm sure he and his agent surveyed the field of potential destinations and did not find one spot that he could parlay into a bigger contract and a starting job.

It's what good agents do

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad