A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
picture.php

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
In summation...

Wang will sell after the Singularity takes over America

I would laugh if I wasn't too busy with the lengthy process of throwing all my possessions out my 6th story window.

Wang'ed again. I'd be upset if this team didn't erode every ounce of hope I had in the first place.

Exactly right.

Frankly not surprised . . . always wondered how deep his pockets really were, including whoever he would partner with,

Now, if he was actually out bid you have to look at who might:

A) have higher financial wherewithal/backing
B) values the franchise higher than Barroway did

All signs point in that case to whoever has interest in Barclays

My money is on Mikhail Dmitrievitch Prokhorov. As a late finishing White Knight.

Simple business knowledge says that the Isles are more valuable to him than anyone else for the simple reason he already owns a solid percent of the venue.

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO...

You've got it completely backwards. Paul Allen could show up with 500 million today and still...IT'S WANGS PROPERTY AND HE HAS TO WANT TO SELL THE ISLANDERS. Doesn't matter if 10 other buyers are lined up outside his door.

I think we are so desperate that some of us are thinking Barroway was outbid. What if it's just a case of Barroway getting frustrated with dealing with Wang, and he decided to say FU. ONLY Mattyboy 2.0 at IM is stating another person other than Barroway is buying the team, and to quote "deal is just about done", and "someone stepped up with a big offer". He stated that "The guy buying to the team according to my guy is NOT Barroway".

I give him credit since he wrote this yesterday, a full day prior to Newsday's story that Barroway was out. But I still refuse to believe anyone about a sale until we hear it from the horse's mouths.

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES...

No one is facing the fact that wang just doesn't make our lives difficult as fans, but he makes the people he does business with miserable as well. I won't even claim to have inside sources here, but I'm willing to bet that the reason Barroway is out is a combination of him being blad from trying to deal with wang and his investors not wanting to wait around any longer.

Not a bad thing. I really think Barroway would have only been a slight improvement to Wang, and we need more then that to be competitive. Hopefully someone with deeper pockets, like Prokhorov.

...and you're basing all of this knowledge on what exactly? This "deeper pockets" argument is as bad as the one that wang saved the Islanders. Jon Bon Jovi wants to buy the Buffalo Bills for AT LEAST ONE BILLION DOLLARS. You think "Slippery When Wet" sold that many copies? He's just the figurehead who will put a team of investors together to get that BILLION+ together.

Same with Barroway. Not one person here knew the investors he had lined up so don't for a second pretend that you know he didn't "have enough money." We had so little information so how do you know that one of his investors didn't have MORE money than wang?

If you have a girlfriend who steals from you, cheats on you, smells, insults your friends, dominates your time, and is horrendously ugly...I cannot understand why any of you would want to stay with the NHL owner equivalent of that girl and not take a chance with a girl who has at least one better characteristic, much less be much better.

What an absolute joke those of you out there that wouldn't take a chance on a new owner based on the last decade we all suffered through.

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
this is great news. Someone will eventually buy the Isles & unlike Barroway, they will actually have the $ to run the organization properly.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
So Wang reneged on an agreement in principle. What a shock that he would go low :sarcasm:
It will cost him some money which he will try to also slide on paying, and we are stuck with one of the sleaziest owners in all of sports. Very comforting. I wonder what Tavares' agent is thinking?

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
this is great news. Someone will eventually buy the Isles & unlike Barroway, they will actually have the $ to run the organization properly.

:facepalm:

Please list in detail...

1. All of Barroway's investors
  2. Their official net worth (with sources)

Until then, this is you...

Oh yeah...And after dragging us all through the mud hoping for a sale and pulling out AFTER Barroway supposedly got the money, wang is now going to turn around and sell to someone else?

I'd have more respect for you if you admitted you were uninformed and just hoping for the best.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
"Who in their right mind would buy a fifth place team?"

-Dickie Dunn

Isles Fan

Sep 12, 2006
Just patiently waiting for all those who were so sure this was a done deal to come out of hiding.

For those with the "where there is smoke" theory, there was not ever any smoke here. Just a bunch of rumors and quotes by anonymous people, which in itself made this unbelievable from the beginning.

Lastly, as I maintained from day one, there is no story until there is a story and there never was a story here. Just a bunch of people pretending to have "inside" info and those wanting to believe it so badly that they believed it was true when in fact it wasn't.

Now that this is behind us, let's start yet another "can they make the playoffs poll".......

FourRings

Mar 26, 2013
New York City
Just patiently waiting for all those who were so sure this was a done deal to come out of hiding.

For those with the "where there is smoke" theory, there was not ever any smoke here. Just a bunch of rumors and quotes by anonymous people, which in itself made this unbelievable from the beginning.

Lastly, as I maintained from day one, there is no story until there is a story and there never was a story here. Just a bunch of people pretending to have "inside" info and those wanting to believe it so badly that they believed it was true when in fact it wasn't.

Now that this is behind us, let's start yet another "can they make the playoffs poll".......

RUmors and quotes by anonymous people, yet they state a buyer backed out...meaning there was a potential sale. You have zero ground to stand on.

Dutch Frost

Battle Level
Mar 12, 2010
Queens, NY

This is how I felt when I heard about the sale falling through.. Where are those insider sources? I mean seriously.. can you tell us how you people came about this info? No need to worry now as the team isnt sold nor will it be.

Wang is closing out with this team to Brooklyn. This is his parting shot at Nassau. I took the ball and went home with it Nassau!!!

scott99

May 13, 2005
So Wang reneged on an agreement in principle. What a shock that he would go low :sarcasm:
It will cost him some money which he will try to also slide on paying, and we are stuck with one of the sleaziest owners in all of sports. Very comforting. I wonder what Tavares' agent is thinking?

I guess your sources were wrong about it being a "done deal ", or maybe the finals aren't over yet ?

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
I guess your sources were wrong about it being a "done deal ", or maybe the finals aren't over yet ?

I agree with you 100%. There was never an agreement in principle. Tons of posters on here have been applauded for faulty "sources". As I've said since the beginning there is no pending sale, and no sale was/is close to being done. At least according to my source (and yes I actually do have a legit source). I said it months ago, and nothing has changed in that regard. Could it? Absolutely. Will it? Let's hope!

Anyways this post isn't intended to be a "I was right" or chest-bumping post, it's really designed to warn people who're new/not used to having sources (a perfect example being the person who knows a lawyer involved)...ALL sources hear tons of information that NEVER comes to fruition. That's not because their information is faulty, but because things change in any business-especially with hundreds of millions of dollars at stake (literally). Just keep that in mind the next time you hear something from a source. It's not that they're lying (although they could be)...it's that they could be completely wrong or even turn out to be wrong despite having good information AT THE TIME.

It's why McKenzie says "nothing's set in stone yet", or something in that regard.

bigtim1988

YES! YES! YES! YES!
Jun 7, 2009
long island
this just solidifies the thought that wang is an extremely hard person to work with, and the whole town of hempstead/ lighthouse deal came apart because of his stubbornness. this guy settled on the first thing that came up (barclays center ) just to stick it to them. :help:

wang gets what wang wants, and there is no way around it. :rant:

i just hope this team can come together and be great IN SPITE of him.

The Underboss

Dec 20, 2006
Florida

RUmors and quotes by anonymous people, yet they state a buyer backed out...meaning there was a potential sale. You have zero ground to stand on.

Exactly DSP, he seems to have missed that rather small detail. He seems to miss a lot of details.

Renbarg

Feb 24, 2007
NY
I'm still on the Wang train. I'm HAPPY he didn't sell. Yes I said it.

He's spent money, a lot of "cheap-stake" moves have been misconstrued and pigeon-holed to fit a narrative. Case in point, Nino. The Islanders had absolutely no incentive to offer him a large bonus to sneak over the basement his rookie year. They could have just as easily signed a vet, offered him unattainable bonuses and be forced to count that money against the cap without a prayer of him ever actually getting that money. I truly believe they thought he had nothing else to gain from the WHL.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
Not really surprised at this considering the deal seemed to be on hold for so long. If there was a deal to be had it would a long time ago.

Maybe Wang simply wants to see what life in Brooklyn is like and decides to keep the team for a while yet?

BillD

Feb 12, 2004

If "done deal" meant a signed contract, yes the information was wrong and people got ahead of themselves. What we had was Wang accepting an agreement to sell to Barroway, then going silent. According to what I am told, he never actually pulled back, he just would not communicate about execution of the agreement he signed.
There was no way for this eventuality to be anticipated, except when dealing with Wang, any unscrupulous behavior has to be taken into consideration. Up to that point, the intelligence we were getting was accurate. Wang is the wild card.
For what it's worth, there was reportedly a clause in the agreement that if Wang does not close on the deal, he has to pay a break up fee of $10MM to Barroway. Again, I have not seen the agreement, this comes from one of the investors in the Barroway group who was the source of all the information.
I am told that Barroway is heartbroken, desperately wanted this deal and had all the financing lined up for a $400MM 100% buy out. The NHL is pissed because they were the ones who "brokered" the deal, who brought Wang and Barroway together last September, and they really wanted the deal done.
That's all I got. There was a deal negotiated for months, signed in May. Wang blew it up. Other buyers or change of heart, we might never know. For the time being, Wang is the owner of this team. Comfy feeling, no?

JeffNYI

Jun 16, 2006
Just 2 opinions that are either wrong, or temporarily wrong..

I still believe the Barclay's people are going to own the team.. it makes the most sense.. Wang may have been using Barroway as leverage or as an attempt to convince Barclays the team was worth a lot more than they want to pay..

And people have dismissed the Clippers $2B sale as a non-factor, but how could any sports team owner looking to sell NOT pump the brakes and re-evaluate things after that?

michaelrc51

Jul 6, 2011

I still believe the Barclay's people are going to own the team.. it makes the most sense.. Wang may have been using Barroway as leverage or as an attempt to convince Barclays the team was worth a lot more than they want to pay..

And people have dismissed the Clippers $2B sale as a non-factor, but how could any sports team owner looking to sell NOT pump the brakes and re-evaluate things after that?

If this were the case he would never have signed anything with a $10 million penalty if he backed put.

michaelrc51

Jul 6, 2011
If "done deal" meant a signed contract, yes the information was wrong and people got ahead of themselves. What we had was Wang accepting an agreement to sell to Barroway, then going silent. According to what I am told, he never actually pulled back, he just would not communicate about execution of the agreement he signed.
There was no way for this eventuality to be anticipated, except when dealing with Wang, any unscrupulous behavior has to be taken into consideration. Up to that point, the intelligence we were getting was accurate. Wang is the wild card.
For what it's worth, there was reportedly a clause in the agreement that if Wang does not close on the deal, he has to pay a break up fee of $10MM to Barroway. Again, I have not seen the agreement, this comes from one of the investors in the Barroway group who was the source of all the information.
I am told that Barroway is heartbroken, desperately wanted this deal and had all the financing lined up for a $400MM 100% buy out. The NHL is pissed because they were the ones who "brokered" the deal, who brought Wang and Barroway together last September, and they really wanted the deal done.
That's all I got. There was a deal negotiated for months, signed in May. Wang blew it up. Other buyers or change of heart, we might never know. For the time being, Wang is the owner of this team. Comfy feeling, no?

So disappointed.
Sounds like barroway was a promising buyer.

kpap57

Jun 24, 2008
EX Long Islander

And people have dismissed the Clippers $2B sale as a non-factor, but how could any sports team owner looking to sell NOT pump the brakes and re-evaluate things after that?[

If this were the case he would never have signed anything with a $10 million penalty if he backed put.

Sounds like barroway backed out. That mean wang just made himself 10 mil?

JeffNYI

Jun 16, 2006

This is all hypothetical and assumes the $10M penalty - which would be normal based on large business transaction reports we've all heard in the media - is really there..

Barroway would have insisted on that language being in the contract, and as I just said it's also standard operating procedure.. so Wang would have had to agree to have that language in there (which again is SOP anyway) to get Barroway to sign..

Then Wang packages up that document and takes it over to the real buyer and gets them up by MULTIPLES of $10 million....

Frankly, the $10M could just have been an investment.. a tool to get other buyers to pay even more..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad