GDT: NXT TakeOver: War Games (17th November 2018)

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
The only negative i have to say is Velvateen didnt walk out as the champ. Another perfect show for NXT.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
46449246_10106244551635294_6021806498479341568_n.jpg

Fun show to attend live. As I got to the arena, I saw four guys in Undisputed Era garb walking out of a car. Thought to myself "Man, those lookalikes are great" before I realized it was the Undisputed Era.

46425130_10106244551600364_649188387009331200_n.jpg

Lingered around for a couple minutes just to see if any other performers were arriving. Then as I was walking, David Arquette was crossing the street which surreal knowing the match he did the night before. Couple other folks asked him for photos and he was accommodating, so I worked up the nerve to get one as well.

46467827_10106244551974614_49059448622153728_n.jpg

Almost too much going on during WarGames. Rewatched parts of it and I definitely missed a couple of spots live.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Did Arquette just get beaten up before that picture was taken, or what's going on there? :laugh:

Late Friday night, I saw that David Arquette was trending on Twitter. Immediate thought was "Hey, former WCW champion David Arquette. Hopefully he didn't get arrested or something." Then I clicked and saw why he was trending: Actor David Arquette bloodied up in 'Death Match' during return to wrestling

He wrestled a hardcore match and they were using light bulbs (the long tube variety). One sliced his neck pretty badly, so he was gushing blood. I didn't know that he started training a few months back and had been wrestling in front of smaller crowds. Looks like a combination of him legitimately enjoying performing and wanting to make amends / shut up snarky people like me who only remember him for his WCW run (and he seemed to be against getting the belt back then).

Last edited:
Reactions: ColePens

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
NXT just does all the little things right. Ciampa’s character in the YouTube interview called Dream a 23-year-old prodigy putting him over big before saying “and I beat him. What does that make me?”

The little things of putting your opponent over so it actually matters when you beat them.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
Last night was a perfect example of why I read online results for the main roster shows and I don't miss a single NXT weekly show or Takeover. Amazing card that isn't a chore to get through and it was pulled off perfectly.

I tried watching Survivor Series last night and it was so bad compared to Takeover. So excited I get to see some of these guys live in a few weeks.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
I didn't see Takeover live so I'm trying to watch it tonight but it'll probably be tomorrow when I finish.

I did see Gargano vs Black and while I doubt it's the best match of the night..it was really, really, really good.

It's amazing I can sit down and watch a single Takeover match and be reminded of why I once loved wrestling.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
So spoiled by Takeovers now. I walked out of the arena pretty happy with the experience but it was almost as though I took it for granted that I saw three 4+ star matches and a solid opener.

I'm planning on going to Phoenix for Royal Rumble, but now I'm debating attending that Takeover as well. It's a busy sports Saturday night, UFC/Bellator cards and the NHL All Star competition. Was planning on being a couch potato at my buddy's place but maybe I'll play it by ear depending on how Takeover shapes up.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I didn't see Takeover live so I'm trying to watch it tonight but it'll probably be tomorrow when I finish.

I did see Gargano vs Black and while I doubt it's the best match of the night..it was really, really, really good.

It's amazing I can sit down and watch a single Takeover match and be reminded of why I once loved wrestling.

Gargano/Black, Dream/Ciampa and WarGames are all 5* matches. The Women's match was nearly 4.5 as well IMO.

Will be interesting to see Meltzer's ratings

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
So spoiled by Takeovers now. I walked out of the arena pretty happy with the experience but it was almost as though I took it for granted that I saw three 4+ star matches and a solid opener.

I'm planning on going to Phoenix for Royal Rumble, but now I'm debating attending that Takeover as well. It's a busy sports Saturday night, UFC/Bellator cards and the NHL All Star competition. Was planning on being a couch potato at my buddy's place but maybe I'll play it by ear depending on how Takeover shapes up.

The first time I went to Brooklyn (2016, so it was the second Brooklyn Takeover), my friend wasn't so sure he could make it work with money, doesn't watch NXT, etc, so I just said I'd cover it, because I wouldn't have been able to live with myself if we didn't go. That was the night we had Roode's debut, Nakamura/Joe, Revival/DIY, and Bayley/Asuka in Bayley's last match. It felt special to be there.

It's amazing how much just the atmosphere is different when you're there live and in the arena compared to the main show the next night. It's one of those things that you just don't want to regret not being a part of, just look at their track record.

Serac

#HFOutcasts
Jun 27, 2014
B.C.
Gargano has had 5 star matches with 3 different wrestler in the last 5 takeovers.

It's amazing how good he is, yet we know Vince will screw him up

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
The obvious trajectory of his WWE career is 205 Live, but he could easily become another Daniel Bryan imo, face or heel.

It might not hurt to bring a heel DIY to the main roster as a team to start either, tbh.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Yeah, but this is nothing to do with Gargano himself and everything to do with Vince being an out-of-touch dinosaur who fantasizes about muscular dudes.

10 million percent agree. I said it before but the story of Gargano from DIY to today is just the best. That's what a lot of wrestling fans want. They want to invest in the story. It's why we watch tv shows. We invest in a story. Vince is out of touch because he feels the story doesn't matter and that nobody remembers anything.

But man I get chills when I think of the story told with Gargano and his portrayal of that character is A+ stuff.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
10 million percent agree. I said it before but the story of Gargano from DIY to today is just the best. That's what a lot of wrestling fans want. They want to invest in the story. It's why we watch tv shows. We invest in a story. Vince is out of touch because he feels the story doesn't matter and that nobody remembers anything.

But man I get chills when I think of the story told with Gargano and his portrayal of that character is A+ stuff.

And it is not done yet. There will be redemption story down the line and he will win the right way/keeping his cool and it will be awesome.

Simple, yet fantastic... and we will get 3-4-5 more 5* matches out of this story. I do not remember Gargano having a "meh" PPV match. He has killed it as a member of DIY, in the CWC, against Black, Ciampa and Almas. We can argue that in the last 2-3 years, he has half a dozen 5* matches. AND then, there is his character work and the story. That's just a fantastic run.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
And it is not done yet. There will be redemption story down the line and he will win the right way/keeping his cool and it will be awesome.

Simple, yet fantastic... and we will get 3-4-5 more 5* matches out of this story. I do not remember Gargano having a "meh" PPV match. He has killed it as a member of DIY, in the CWC, against Black, Ciampa and Almas. We can argue that in the last 2-3 years, he has half a dozen 5* matches. AND then, there is his character work and the story. That's just a fantastic run.

Since coming to the WWE, Meltzer has rated just 5 of Gargano's matches a 4* or less.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
The obvious trajectory of his WWE career is 205 Live, but he could easily become another Daniel Bryan imo, face or heel.

It might not hurt to bring a heel DIY to the main roster as a team to start either, tbh.

I would argue that is the right move to do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad