Pre-Game Talk: Nut Cuttin' time. Week of @Minnihaha, @Flamers, Sharts, and Flightless Birds

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Newhook is going to get all the minutes he could want down the stretch. With Lehkonen on his wing as well.
Newhook looks to hit a rookie wall and has posted zeroes in 10 straight. He shouldn't be more than a depth piece at this point. Counting on him to produce in the playoffs is asking for trouble.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Newhook looks to hit a rookie wall and has posted zeroes in 10 straight. He shouldn't be more than a depth piece at this point. Counting on him to produce in the playoffs is asking for trouble.
I agree that relying on him to produce is a mistake, but I've liked his game over the past couple of games. Getting his feet moving, being involved in chances and making some good defensive plays as well. He has been really close on a couple of chances, but you can see he is clutching his stick a bit and trying to force the goal. It will come with time, he's already getting himself into fantastic position to score.

Avs425

Colorado MacKinnon
Jun 3, 2014
Saskatchewan
Funny how the Avs are first team to 100 points and nobody talks about it, when Vegas did it last year the sports world talking heads wouldn’t stop talking about it.

Reactions: BaconNater

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018

Interesting article
Yah we're a fast team and we draw a lot of penalties. It isn't favoritism. Mack draws penalties like crazy.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Avs draw a lot of penalties and take a lot of penalties. Avs games are high penalty affairs, just like Floridas are. I think there is a good amount of makeup calls in games involving those two teams.

S5Z3h6z.png

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Depending on the Mack diagnoses, I think we have to call up Maltsev at least, and I'd call up Kaut too. May as well see what these guys can do down the stretch in nothing games so we know if they can be options for the POs. Scratch LOC and Helm/NAB to light a fire under their butts.

Nuke - Kadri - Rantanen
Lehkonen - Newhook - Burakovsky
Cogliano - Maltsev - JTC
Helm - Sturm - Kaut

As has been pointed out, someone other than Cogliano (Copp, Rakell, etc) would be looking a lot better right about now.

Pretty confident in saying the price Sakic would have had to pay a division rival for Andrew Copp was more than what the team all the way over in another conference had to pay for him...and I don't even know if Cheveldayoff would've even done it then.

Rakell cost the Pens two rostered NHL players (who have really, really good underlying defensive stats BTW), a 2nd rounder, and a goaltending prospect. Pretty sure Joe could not afford that price.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Where else they gonna put that doofus? Unfortunately there's simply no one better to put there.

Pretty much, he’s gonna be an anchor on any line you put him on, and if you put him on the 4th line someone else is gonna be in over their head. We just need to hope he finds one of his hot streaks at the beginning of may when they playoffs get going

Reactions: niwotsblessing

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Yah we're a fast team and we draw a lot of penalties. It isn't favoritism. Mack draws penalties like crazy.
Hurricanes are just as fast...

Of any team in the NHL, the Avs get (by far) the most favor from the refs over any team in the league. The last 3 seasons are all above net 30 and have a net 60 of .52. The next closest is Pittsburgh at .37. About half the teams in the NHL are within .10 either way. What is also funny is the disparity increases in the playoffs. The past 3 seasons the Avs are over 1 extra net penalty (1.11) in the playoffs (again tops in the league). The closest team that has been in all 3 playoffs... the Isles at .41. Avs are .70 extra net per game than the rest of the league.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018

Of any team in the NHL, the Avs get (by far) the most favor from the refs over any team in the league. The last 3 seasons are all above net 30 and have a net 60 of .52. The next closest is Pittsburgh at .37. About half the teams in the NHL are within .10 either way. What is also funny is the disparity increases in the playoffs. The past 3 seasons the Avs are over 1 extra net penalty (1.11) in the playoffs (again tops in the league). The closest team that has been in all 3 playoffs... the Isles at .41. Avs are .70 extra net per game than the rest of the league.
Just imagine if we got all the calls we deserved to get

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Just imagine if we got all the calls we deserved to get

Conversely, just imagine if they got called on the stuff they get away with. Avs are not a particularly dirty team but they get away with stuff all the time. If they really did crack down on cross checking, for instance, Mikko would be in way more trouble than he has been this season.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

Avs91

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2013
Wyoming

Interesting article
"Despite every effort by NHL officials to balance the distribution of penalties..."

This is the whole problem. IDGAF if the penalties are 10 to 1 in a game. Call the game by the book, the players and coaches will adjust. Rip the bandaid off.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
Conversely, just imagine if they got called on the stuff they get away with. Avs are not a particularly dirty team but they get away with stuff all the time. If they really did crack down on cross checking, for instance, Mikko would be in way more trouble than he has been this season.
Also JJ would spend more time in the box than on the ice or the bench with his quite blatant interference and holdings that only get called once out of 20.
The veteran-effect I presume.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

They're trying him out in different roles/positions to see if they can get him going. He has those moments of brilliance where he's carrying the puck with speed and what not, but he's not finishing. I think it's only a matter of time before he finally gets confidence in his game and is more consistent with his chances. At present he just doesn't look terribly sure of himself.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019

Carolina are a high volume shooting team, so I would posit that they might not get as many calls because they shoot from perimeter areas instead of driving more to the net where a lot of calls are made.

Reactions: cinchronicity

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019

Interesting article

Pete DeBoer would love this. Refalanche at it again.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Carolina are a high volume shooting team, so I would posit that they might not get as many calls because they shoot from perimeter areas instead of driving more to the net where a lot of calls are made.
Avs are a higher shooting volume team

niwotsblessing

May 1, 2010
City of Holy Faith
"Despite every effort by NHL officials to balance the distribution of penalties..."

This is the whole problem. IDGAF if the penalties are 10 to 1 in a game. Call the game by the book, the players and coaches will adjust. Rip the bandaid off.
This. So much this.

Peter Forsberg would still have his spleen if NHL zebras had a single iota of integrity.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad