Post-Game Talk: Nurse Wins it for the Blues.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Once again solid analysis by Strudwick who feels Nurse gets into trouble when he 'over complicates the game.' (approx 15 minute mark). Points out on the first St. Louis goal that d-men need to know what they will do with the puck before they engage with it. Nurse in his puck retrieval clearly got caught without any idea of what he was going to do with the puck. Hesitates. Boom turnover and in the net.

Nurse gets away with elite athleticism and skating. But gets into trouble deviating from simple, disciplined and smart decision making. Too casual at times which is likely a product of his supreme confidence (and raw skills) which often enables him to get out problems. However in the Blues game it really bit him on the ass with the first goal against and brain dead tying goal with under twenty seconds life.

He's a very good d-man and critical to this team's success. However being overplayed doesn't help either him or the team. Holland needs to find another top two pairing d-man (men) who can bring a physical, goal suppression game to support PK, defending top opposition, end of game management, and team toughness.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Hey, we all make mistakes on judgements of players, Lord knows, I 've had my share. But hopeful isn't close to describing what your take on Murray was. It was pretty adamant when I questioned it. At any rate, we'll let bygones be bygones, if you're down with it. I won't bring it up again.

Not that I need to explain or apologize for my own personal take as compared to your interepretation of that take. But I’m pretty sure I know what my own personal take on a player is over you. I was hopeful, many of my posts regarding Murray spoke towards a hope and an opinion on a player, not a matter of fact guarantee (as if those even exist in hockey opinion):

“ We’re hoping to see Kulak/Murray hit another level. The decision to keep these guys was made in the offseason. ”

“ I could see Kulak and or Murray becoming interchangeable with any of those guys if things go right with them this year.”

“ Our team speed is non existent. Jury’s out for Murray IMO. He had some concerning stick check misses in tight areas so far, but also is showing nhl level mobility and more creativity and execution...”

“ Ooo love that by Murray. He moves on the ice pretty good. Wouldn’t be surprised if he establishes as an everyday top 4 for this club”

“ Personally, I’d like to see Murray make the team and establish himself as an everyday 4-5 d-man option for us. ”

“ Murray puck moving looks decent. Hope he pops off as a legit Top 4 D for us.”

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
Yep I know they scored when it was 5v5 when they scored- but they agoukd have had their foot on their neck and gone for the kill. Lol- being obtuse saying Barrie and a forward on is being obtuse? Why because they might have gotten scored on? Lol
Can you imagine the cries of “Fire Woodcroft!” if Barrie was out and the got scored on? Yes, it is either obtuse or contrarian to insist that Barrie and a forward should have been on the point in a 5v5 situation. But at the same time I don’t expect rational discussion on this.

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
I am not so sure. One huge plus of Hyman on the ice at that time is how dogged he is on the puck. To get the goalie out St. Louis needed possession and control. The Oiler pp typically does not give the other team that chance often.
I agree Hyman is good to have out there, but everyone’s focus has been on Nurse and Ceci. The Blues were better on draws in the game and the pressure to clear was going to be heavier in this situation. The Oilers PP allows a clear quite frequently, which is why the long drop for the McDavid zone entry is pretty ubiquitous.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Can you imagine the cries of “Fire Woodcroft!” if Barrie was out and the got scored on? Yes, it is either obtuse or contrarian to insist that Barrie and a forward should have been on the point in a 5v5 situation. But at the same time I don’t expect rational discussion on this.
Lol- oilers got scored on. What was prevented by their setup exactly? Was a goal prevented? Nope.

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
Lol- oilers got scored on. What was prevented by their setup exactly? Was a goal prevented? Nope.
And this is why I can’t expect a rational discussion. You’re taking the completely illogical position that Woodcroft should make his decisions based on future outcomes - regardless of the likelihood of those outcomes.

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
Now who’s being obtuse, Warden? You cannot possibly be this ignorant.
It was 5 skaters vs. 5 skaters, with that being the most likely outcome. Even today, the Oilers had the man advantage towards the end of the game and I think Anaheim had 5 clears against them. Despite a good powerplay, the Oilers are prone to giving up the zone at least once in the early going of a powerplay. St. Louis only needed one opportunity to get Binnington to the bench.

Let's do a thought experiment. If the Oilers had Barrie and a forward on the point to end the game and St. Louis scored, how many of those calling for Woodcroft's head now would also be complaining that our top defensive pair wasn't on the ice to lock it down?

Last edited:
Reactions: Oilhawks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad