Injury Report: Nurse, get a Nurse for Nurse

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
My guess is we’ll be treading water till he gets back. It’s not the end of the world.

Agree. PK is what I will be watching. He's been a cornerstone on a top performing unit. Barrie gets more cookie time on the PP which is fine. Massive EV ice time to divi up. How does Keith respond with more minutes? Can Broberg step into an opportunity and deliver early on his promise? Willy Lagesson gets another opportunity to add a physical, shut down style to this puck moving mix. Can the Oil build on their strong team d-zone play in the Jets game to mitigate this huge loss?

Never ideal to lose a #1 d-man. But short-term in a reasonable schedule this will shed light on a few big picture questions for this team. I'm interested to see how this group responds.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
That's 1LD Keith to you Mr.!

In all seriousness.. .I don't like how we deploy our D

Top pair minutes = too high
middle pair minutes = perfect
bottom pair minutes = too low

We essentially play our D like every game is a game 7. I'd like top pair to go down in regular season and bottom pair to go up in regular season. Then, when an injury like this happens, we just reshuffle a bit and hope for the best in the meantime. D by committee.

I'd like Tipp to role the lines more and give these guys chances to make mistakes. No one can succeed at playing 2 shifts a period. Hope this creates more balance in the D.
Its because both Russell and Koekkoek aren't good. Bouchard/Barrie actually play a fine amount of minutes, its just Nurse on his own that play way to much cause the 3LD can't play worth crap. We roll 5 d and sometimes a 6th guy hits the ice.

The top PAIR plays a good and normal amount of minutes, the issue is Nurse also fills in on the bottom pair a bunch.

Its the same thing they used to do with McDavid or Drai. Top 6 wingers don't get overplayed, but McDrai do cause they get extra shifts with the bottom 6 wingers.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
I wonder if Larsson is regretting signing in Seattle with how they are playing.

Wish we could swap him out for Barrie. Based on play this year I easily take Ceci over Barrie.

Swap Ceci for Larsson.

Barrie I'd keep.

I watched the first two periods of the last two Condors games. Broberg is solid, but not a Nurse replacement. We have multiple options for call-up in Berglund, Lagesson, Samorukov. All could play on the bottom pair. Sadly we will probably play starfish Russell.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I was right, they did recall Lagesson.

Also Smith on LTIR I think means they feel comfortable enough with Skinner now.

They had to put Smith on LTIR to afford to bring up Broberg and Lagesson. Strictly a cap move.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
It’s not going to end well imo. They cannot stop a forecheck or a cycle.

I would run

Keith - Bouchard
Broberg - Ceci
Lagesson - Barrie

I think this should be the correct answer, unless you think Bouchard can support a rookie or Russell. I admit, I am a bit curious to see him and Broberg paired together.

Though knowing Tippett, next game will likely look like this.

Keith-Ceci
Lagesson-Barrie
Russell-Bouchard

Considering none of the upcoming opponents are that deep attacking wise, you might get away roasting Keith and Ceci as a defensive pairing, while trying to get both Barrie and Bouchard matched up against lesser competition where they can cover for their partners.

Personally I was wanting Lagesson or Samorukov called up to pair with Barrie before the team looked at a trade for a #3LD, so at least I'll see the outcome of that experiment.

Reactions: Cloned

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Oof this is disastrous for an already weak defense corps, hopefully Nurse heals up properly and is back in form in a few weeks.

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
Time for the team to step up. His 26 mins a night is not an easy hole to fill though, even if he was not having the best year to date.

Reactions: ujju2

xoczar99ox

Oct 8, 2019
Rishaug didn't tweet anything last night...
He tweeted today and I just checked the post from yesterday and it’s been conveniently deleted…
98CBC327-CBE1-4C1A-9871-844A9989A813.png

Attachments

• D0FFD43A-350A-4229-B71C-97BEAC4600D8.jpeg
    D0FFD43A-350A-4229-B71C-97BEAC4600D8.jpeg
    93.8 KB · Views: 8

94 Oil Drops

McHy is the new McDrai.
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
K7wO.gif

Well... The only positive to this we'll get to see Broberg make his big debut. I wonder if Nurse was playing through something else before yesterday's game. He hasn't been very good but that's still a big loss for sure.

xoczar99ox

Oct 8, 2019
you said this to me:

and I'm saying that random poster didn't quote Rishaug at all...as he posted his findings last night after the game
Hahaha I know. I’m suggesting the random poster from last night was Rishaug. The post last night was exactly the same word for word and Rishaugs tweet today and the post from yesterday was deleted. BlackMcDog is either Rishaug or his source.

edit: or Rishaug is the source of BMD.

Reactions: CantHaveTkachev

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
Keith needs the support more than Bouchard, IMO. I’d go with:

Keith - Ceci
Russell - Barrie
Broberg - Bouchard

and live with some growing pains from the third pair, along with all forwards on deck helping out all three pairs in our zone.
I think that 2nd pair will have more mistakes than the third lol

Reactions: Czechboy

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Well this isnt good. Lets see what the boys are made of. Forwards are going to have to make more of an effort to help out the defense and goaltending.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00