Post-Game Talk: Nurse and Bouchard played their best OHL games of the season

Who had the worst performance of the night?

• Total voters

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
I can't absolve a game like last night. Its a fault of mine, and I shouldn't take it to where it actually upsets me. Its last night, and games like it where I've had to ponder whether I just stop following
Right there with you. And it’s not a fault. Abominations like that cannot and should not be excused when we are talking about professionals. Watching little five foot nothing Johnny Gaudreau dismantle the Oilers defense like he was playing rec shinny made me want to vomit. Nobody so much as laid a finger on him. And don’t even get me started on turtle boy slamming in those easy passes with no one around him for miles and cellying in the crease like he just won the SC. Like you, after a lifetime of fandom, I find myself questioning whether it’s even worth my time.

I realize you don’t agree with my take on Mike Smith, but I’ve had it with that chump too. He needs to be fired into the sun. Every single play he’s on his knees hugging his post with his butt practically touching the back of his own net. Can anyone post a recent screen shot of Smith outside of his crease facing a shooter down? Never happens. Back when he was a decent NHL goalie he relied on his reflexes and recovery. Both of those are shot. He’s done. He should never play again. He’s no longer capable. f*** Ken Holland for signing this player for next year as well. That’s just charity money to a millionaire who doesn’t need it.

Finally, props to RNH. I’ve been hard on him from time to time over the years. He showed up last night. About the only guy who played his game and didn’t cover himself in shame.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Was Zack Kassian as invisible on TV as he was for me sitting in the arena? I didn't know he played until this morning when I watched the replay of Draisaitl's first goal.
Being invisible was actually pretty good in this instance. One of the few to not be a minus.

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
Was at the game last night, had seats just to left of Koskinen/Smith so saw all our goals up close in the second.

Agree with all thoughts here on the game. Only different perspective was going in, I thought the Flames were a much more dangerous team than they are. That was easily the worst defensive game I’ve seen, but we were actually in it right to the 7-5 goal. If Kane had potted his for 6-6 at the time, we might have actually won the Oiler’s worst defensive effort game of all time.

What last night showed me was not to be scared of the Flames if we meet in the playoffs. The chances of us playing that poor of a defensive game again is very low. I was shocked Calgary allowed 5, and if not for Markstrom, would have been a few more.

I know for sure we can play better, but can Calgary? I doubt it, and that was by far Johnny G’s best game. I’m actually more excited for the playoffs now (believe we will get in) and hope we can face Calgary second round.

Our ceiling is much much higher and easier to achieve than Calgary raising their game beyond the level last night.

Reactions: bellagiobob

AlbOilFAN

Jan 26, 2018
I feel you lol

I haven't had a drink in almost 3 months and I nearly slipped last night because of that game.
I had tough day at work, I was looking forward to the game. But they made me so mad. (I slipped) hate myself for investing so much emotion to this team.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Right there with you. And it’s not a fault. Abominations like that cannot and should not be excused when we are talking about professionals. Watching little five foot nothing Johnny Gaudreau dismantle the Oilers defense like he was playing rec shinny made me want to vomit. Nobody so much as laid a finger on him. And don’t even get me started on turtle boy slamming in those easy passes with no one around him for miles and cellying in the crease like he just won the SC. Like you, after a lifetime of fandom, I find myself questioning whether it’s even worth my time.

I realize you don’t agree with my take on Mike Smith, but I’ve had it with that chump too. He needs to be fired into the sun. Every single play he’s on his knees hugging his post with his butt practically touching the back of his own net. Can anyone post a recent screen shot of Smith outside of his crease facing a shooter down? Never happens. Back when he was a decent NHL goalie he relied on his reflexes and recovery. Both of those are shot. He’s done. He should never play again. He’s no longer capable. f*** Ken Holland for signing this player for next year as well. That’s just charity money to a millionaire who doesn’t need it.

Finally, props to RNH. I’ve been hard on him from time to time over the years. He showed up last night. About the only guy who played his game and didn’t cover himself in shame.

RNH was one of the few players that wasn't an absolute disgrace to the Oilers logo last night. This wasn't a "the roster sucks", "players out due to injury", type of game or whatever myriad of excuses that can be conjured. It was a failure from the top down and a blight on the organization and embarrassment to the unfortunately loyal fans. The absentee owner, GM, coach, and player leadership should all be ashamed of this debacle. It's too bad they don't play an elite team tomorrow, that would be a true test to see if they actually give a shit.

I'm supposed to go to the game tomorrow but I'm so disgusted I'm not sure if I can be bothered to. (I would be giving the tickets to family.)

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I guess the boys were messed up wondering how drunk their better halves were going to get at the double bridal shower.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
This is a game they have to forget. Take it on the chin and buckle down. They get some teams they should absolutely be able to beat coming up. Make them count.

2-2 against the Flames this year.
That record is deceiving. The Flames badly outplayed them in 3 of them with goaltending (believe it or not) saving their bacon in 2 of them. The game the Oilers played them relatively even funny enough was the game where they a lot of regulars out.

Teams like the Flames and Wild are really bad matchups. Big, heavy teams that roll lines and forecheck with unrelenting intensity. I'm convinced that they'd get swept by either of those teams in a playoff series.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Being invisible was actually pretty good in this instance. One of the few to not be a minus.
When you're paid to hit people and stir things up and get your team fired up, being invisible is not a good option. If he's hiding to protect his plus/minus, then he's not much good to us.

Reactions: Dan403

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
:rolleyes: I already said that they weren’t good? I’m saying Koskinen wasn’t good either?
I'm not saying he was good. But he wasn't terrible, as has been insinuated. You were saying he couldn't make any saves. He made plenty of 10 bell saves. Obviously just not enough to stem the tide of a red wave. Struds even said in his podcast that the goaltending in that fiasco was near the bottom of the list of issues.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I really hope Nurse is hurt, because if this is the way he performs while healthy then we have a major problem.

No defenseman slated to make what he is making can have a night like was saw on Saturday ever, period. The worst part is that's about the 5th or 6th game in a row where his game has been embarrassing. He's not just off or in a slump, the way he is playing is literally embarrassing for an NHL player of his stature.

Reactions: MessierII

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
When you're paid to hit people and stir things up and get your team fired up, being invisible is not a good option. If he's hiding to protect his plus/minus, then he's not much good to us.
The whole team had no pushback. You give up 9 goals it should be a brawl every whistle.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Thanks for the post. Agreed with everything, and also I didn't want the latest Smith contract. Felt we could have moved on. This team isn't worth having any disagreements on, thats my take at this point.

It is absolutely disgusting that we put a red carpet out to Gaudreau so that he could comfortably throw pucks around while our players are on wrong side of puck. Yeah, I don't know he was touched all night. If the objective Saturday night was to disgust Oilers fans into non support than it seemed like they achieved it.

McD and Drai have a target on their back all night. Get pummeled, after whistle high sticks, cross checks, Zadorov even crosschecks Drai 10secs after he scores a goal. Nobody does anything, nobody says anything. Boys waiting at the stop for the Red Arrow.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
I'm not saying he was good. But he wasn't terrible, as has been insinuated. You were saying he couldn't make any saves. He made plenty of 10 bell saves. Obviously just not enough to stem the tide of a red wave. Struds even said in his podcast that the goaltending in that fiasco was near the bottom of the list of issues.
Plenty of ten bell saves even though he only made 7? Sure man. He was terrible just like the rest of the team was.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Holland put this roster on the ice. End of story.
No. It was woodcraft who put the rooster out thetr.

Had the players no redpondivlilty at all for how they play?
Then thet can just quit playing - because its not their respnsibility

GM takes responsibility for management , playerd and contracts, cap.
Coach takes for strategy, tactics, group dynamic, lines seeinh player chemistry.
Pmayers had the respnsibility for the game of hockey that happens.

Npr woodcraft or Holland skates or compete fir the pick or ice out there.
Dimple as that.
And everybody (except you?) Knows what this team can do.
And we all know that the D is still the weakness. Barrie and Bouchard dobt understa d defence. Nurse is good when he had back up. Kieth is a smart D but Slow. Kulak and Ceci has to dp all by themselfs

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
This team is spineless

What an absolutely awful showing

This is the worst D I’ve ever seen play

I feel bad for Connor and Leon

I never get comments like this.

Why on gods green earth would you feel bad for McDavid and Draisaitl?
they're part of the problem. not the biggest part of course, but their play certainly isn't above reproach.

Besides, isn't McDavid the captain?
I'd love to know what he does to lead.
He has to be doing more than giving the stinkeye to someone who makes a bad play. I hope that's not all he does.
Has there been a players only meeting, or anything since he's been the captain? Does he lead by example with his defensive play?
inspiring speeches? anything? I just picture him getting his 2 points in a game and saying "see, I did my part"

I lump them all in the same pile as the rest of the bums on the team. nobody should get a free pass.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
No. It was woodcraft who put the rooster out thetr.

Had the players no redpondivlilty at all for how they play?
Then thet can just quit playing - because its not their respnsibility

GM takes responsibility for management , playerd and contracts, cap.
Coach takes for strategy, tactics, group dynamic, lines seeinh player chemistry.
Pmayers had the respnsibility for the game of hockey that happens.

Npr woodcraft or Holland skates or compete fir the pick or ice out there.
Dimple as that.
And everybody (except you?) Knows what this team can do.
And we all know that the D is still the weakness. Barrie and Bouchard dobt understa d defence. Nurse is good when he had back up. Kieth is a smart D but Slow. Kulak and Ceci has to dp all by themselfs
The defense is largely created by the GM. The goaltending is basically created by the GM. Both are huge weaknesses. Keith was never a solution to anything. I don't know how anyone can let the GM off the hook when he's had three years to shape this roster and the team is no better than when he took over.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
The defense is largely created by the GM. The goaltending is basically created by the GM. Both are huge weaknesses. Keith was never a solution to anything. I don't know how anyone can let the GM off the hook when he's had three years to shape this roster and the team is no better than when he took over.
How do you know it wasnt a command from Connor. F4om ehat I heard, he wished one more experied voice in the room, that is also a D. Holland was already in no choice - land. But it was at a stupid pay

but oK. I tell Holland to hold better practices.

But in my world, everybody has responsibility for what happens in theirs sphere. And if the group as a whole has problems, then its up to the trainer and GM to act.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
How do you know it wasnt a command from Connor. F4om ehat I heard, he wished one more experied voice in the room, that is also a D. Holland was already in no choice - land. But it was at a stupid pay

but oK. I tell Holland to hold better practices.

But in my world, everybody has responsibility for what happens in theirs sphere. And if the group as a whole has problems, then its up to the trainer and GM to act.
Holland didn't have to acquire Keith, even if McDavid told him to. The priority this offseason should have been goaltending and unsurprisingly goaltending tends to undo this team more often than not. Holland royallty screwed up this offseason and it's going to take a miracle to salvage this season. He also waited far too long to fire Tippett.

He's been the GM for this team for three years, how is he free of responsibility when he continuously trots out a failing goaltending tandem and a defensive core largely of his making?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I never get comments like this.

Why on gods green earth would you feel bad for McDavid and Draisaitl?
they're part of the problem. not the biggest part of course, but their play certainly isn't above reproach.

Besides, isn't McDavid the captain?
I'd love to know what he does to lead.
He has to be doing more than giving the stinkeye to someone who makes a bad play. I hope that's not all he does.
Has there been a players only meeting, or anything since he's been the captain? Does he lead by example with his defensive play?
inspiring speeches? anything? I just picture him getting his 2 points in a game and saying "see, I did my part"

I lump them all in the same pile as the rest of the bums on the team. nobody should get a free pass.
It hearts my Heart that Johnny Gaudreau was +4 in this game and McD and Drai were -4. Nuge and Kass were the only even Oilers in the game and Kass got benched because he didn't stand up to Lucic and Coleman one week after coming back from having his face broken.

Meanwhile physical players like Nemo, Archibald, Malone, now Kass are out of the lineup after the Oilers got bitch slapped all over the ice in Calgary.

McD didn't even get an EV point on Saturday. from beginning to end his play consisted of him taking puck and trying to walk through 4 Flames and turning it over. Occasionally he would get close to the net and some semblance of a shot. He couldn't be more ineffective.

Drai had the worst game in which a player scored a hat trick that I've ever seen. EVAR ;)

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
It hearts my Heart that Johnny Gaudreau was +4 in this game and McD and Drai were -4. Nuge and Kass were the only even Oilers in the game and Kass got benched because he didn't stand up to Lucic and Coleman one week after coming back from having his face broken.

Meanwhile physical players like Nemo, Archibald, Malone, now Kass are out of the lineup after the Oilers got bitch slapped all over the ice in Calgary.

McD didn't even get an EV point on Saturday. from beginning to end his play consisted of him taking puck and trying to walk through 4 Flames and turning it over. Occasionally he would get close to the net and some semblance of a shot. He couldn't be more ineffective.

Drai had the worst game in which a player scored a hat trick that I've ever seen. EVAR ;)
Kassian got benched because he's a ghost. If he's afraid of being physical after having his face broken then go back on IR and heal up.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Kassian got benched because he's a ghost. If he's afraid of being physical after having his face broken then go back on IR and heal up.
Kass had 4 hits in about a dozen minutes of play and was Even. Not defending him, just mentioning that in comparison several Oilers were worse than invisible, several were very visible, in pretty awful ways.

That this all occurred in a BOA is unfathomable. The team shouldn't be practicing today, they should be having physical exams to see where their tin heart is or if they have one. The Oilers were cuckolded on ice. Would you even fight for such a team?

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1