Numbers for newest players?

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Has there been any word from Umberger at all about anything? Haven't seen a single quote from him yet. Seems a little odd.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
They haven't been assigned numbers yet.

Umberger wore #20 the first time here, I don't know if they would give it back since it's technically occupied by Pronger. He wore #18 in Columbus which is available if not.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Has there been any word from Umberger at all about anything? Haven't seen a single quote from him yet. Seems a little odd.

There was a conference call when the trade happened. The audio is available on the Flyers' site.

Numbers haven't been assigned to my knowledge.

-----------

"I do think I have a lot to give," Umberger said on a conference call with reporters. "I think I've always kept myself in great shape. I consider myself still pretty young. I think I still skate well, my testing times and all my skating tests this year were the fastest of my career. So to me I've still got a lot left in the tank."

"The way I always thought of Philly is always a team that you consider they're going to be in the running every year. It's one of the top organizations in the league," Umberger said. "Honestly, it's a team that I think is just waiting to win another Stanley Cup and I want to be a part of that."

laforest

Jan 21, 2013
Philly
GUYS. In the new NHL 15 trailer it shows the Flyers lining up for a draw. And a #81 on the wing. Could that be Umbergers new number?

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
GUYS. In the new NHL 15 trailer it shows the Flyers lining up for a draw. And a #81 on the wing. Could that be Umbergers new number?

They know that we are getting Phil Kessel to play with Giroux...

Friedman, Rinaldo and Simmonds for him, maybe a pick as well... all TO boys.

Or maybe Hossa or Eller! :laugh:

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Are we one of those teams where the management frown on high numbers?

Voracek wears #93 so they can't be too strict with them. He wore #9 for a few preseason games before switching it when he first got here.

It's seems like numbers in the 50's, 60's, 70's, & 80's aren't really common in the NHL in general unless they're iconic numbers like #66, #77, or #88 which are barely used as well.

Morin wears #55 so that should be a pretty unusual high number when he makes the club.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com

I don't think so...

but we have not had that many players play regularly with a number higher than 50 (50+ games in high numbers):

Lindros (88): 486 games
Brashear (87): 270 games
Roenick: (97): 216 games
Voracek: (93): 208 games
Eager (55): 111 games
Parent (77): 102 games
Coffey (77): 94 games
Tocchet (92): 90 games
Gratton (55): 82 games
Fedotenko (50): 74 games
Jagr (68): 73 games
Zherdev (93): 56 games
Fedoruk (52): 53 games
Brendl (55): 50 games

Samuelsson and Nedved both hit 49 games in high numbers.

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
Voracek wears #93 so they can't be too strict with them. He wore #9 for a few preseason games before switching it when he first got here.

It's seems like numbers in the 50's, 60's, 70's, & 80's aren't really common in the NHL in general unless they're iconic numbers like #66, #77, or #88 which are barely used as well.

Morin wears #55 so that should be a pretty unusual high number when he makes the club.

HOW DARE YOU!
Carolina+Hurricanes+v+Philadelphia+Flyers+2NYxXtI7mPrm.jpg

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
I wonder what numbers Hagg and Ghost will take when they eventually make it, both of them currently wear 14.

Well, number 4 is retired but 11 is up for grabs. Hägg was drafted 41st overall, sounds like a fit to me even though Meszaros wore it last.

I doubt anybody dares to claim 44 even though it will be available shortly :sarcasm:

Ghost is born on the 20th of April but as long as Pronger is on the roster that is a no-go. He will likely have to pick a random available number...

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Ghost wore 3 for Team USA. Wouldn't be surprised if he takes that, or keeps the 34 he wore in prospect camp.

Hagg 41 wouldn't surprise me, but Bellemare might get it first. At which point I'd guess 24 for Hagg.

Umberger I'd guess 18, which he wore in Columbus, but he might go for an open number in the 20s.

Schultz probably 15.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Well, number 4 is retired but 11 is up for grabs. Hägg was drafted 41st overall, sounds like a fit to me even though Meszaros wore it last.

I doubt anybody dares to claim 44 even though it will be available shortly :sarcasm:

Ghost is born on the 20th of April but as long as Pronger is on the roster that is a no-go. He will likely have to pick a random available number...

Yeah I was thinking 41 for Hagg too, Ghost will need to figure something else out. I could see him taking 26 or 29 like Gus did, not sure why. I also assume Laughton will take 21.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Yeah I was thinking 41 for Hagg too, Ghost will need to figure something else out. I could see him taking 26 or 29 like Gus did, not sure why. I also assume Laughton will take 21.

Yup, it hasn't been assigned to anybody but him since he's been drafted.

scott-laughton-nhl-preseason-philadelphia-flyers-washington-capitals-850x560.jpg

Even if he doesn't make the team right away they'll likely keep it reserved since he would be the first forward call up option similar to what they did with McGinn & his #15.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

It depends what type of player you are. For instance, Eric Wellwood's number at Windsor was 67, but he wore 47 and 11 here. You also often saw call ups who got a lower number from training camp, Oskars Bartulis (38 -> 8) and Brandon Manning (50 -> 23) come to mind, but you didn't see that with VandeVelde last year, he kept 76. Hal Gill is an established veteran, so I'm sure he was given the choice to stick with 75, but he was the first Flyer to wear a number in the 70's other than 77, and VandeVelde was the second.

One thing I've found curious is that Laughton's number was changed to 49 during development camp. In the past, the Flyers just let those types of guys keep whatever number they already had. Morin's was changed as well, and I know Hagg wore it, but 55 has usually been Schultz's number. No one else would be wearing 21.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Laughton - #21
Hagg - #41
Morin - #55
Sanheim - #27
Alt - #23
Ghost - #3

Weirdly enough, I don't want any of the Flyers to take Desjardins' and Gagne's numbers :laugh:.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
What is the stigma with higher numbers that the management would have an issue with it?

It seems to me that most players just pick lower numbers anyway if given the choice although numbers in the 90's have been pretty trendy as of late.

Some teams don't let players pick their numbers until they fully establish themselves as NHL players & tend to give out unusual numbers in the 50's & 60's. Anaheim for example is one of those teams off the top of my head.

It was actually pretty funny some team (I can't remember who) assigned some kid #66 this year that got the country club on the main boards all bent out of shape. :laugh:

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
It seems to me that most players just pick lower numbers anyway if given the choice although numbers in the 90's have been pretty trendy as of late.

Some teams don't let players pick their numbers until they fully establish themselves as NHL players & tend to give out unusual numbers in the 50's & 60's. Anaheim for example is one of those teams off the top of my head.

It was actually pretty funny some team (I can't remember who) assigned some kid #66 this year that got the country club on the main boards all bent out of shape. :laugh:

I remember that when Nicklas Backstrom wore 99 in the KHL during the lockout, it made everyone on the main board bald in a few seconds

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
TJ Brodie wore 66, I think it was a few years ago when the season began. How dare former Calgary Flame Mario Lemieux not be given such respect

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad