Value of: Nugent-Hopkins to Winnipeg (Extention)

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
taking your strengths for granted, busting up a solid core, hardly ever works out
keeping Eberle and Hall might've been better for Oil (well maybe they don't get McD pick)
for every Jones<>Johansen win-win, the highways are littered with regretted 'home-run swing' deals that flopped
That trade wasn’t a win for Nashville.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Heinola is one of the few prospect D we have, likely a no-go there. We are VERY thin on D.

I would do it for Ehlers, assuming a reasonable extension for RNH and maybe a small add coming back from the Oil.

I prefer to keep Connor but you may get a different answer from a lot of Jets fans. Ehlers is the better play-driver of the two, but Connor is the better scorer.
Ummm... LD is where the Jets have a relatively strong prospect base... Samberg, Heinola, Chisholm, Stanley.

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa
Ummm... LD is where the Jets have a relatively strong prospect base... Samberg, Heinola, Chisholm, Stanley.
It's a prospect strength, but not a roster strength. We have no one on the roster except Morrissey and we could wind up needing to play Heinola and Samberg next season.

I could see Chisholm or Stanley in a deal, though.

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa
So you want the better offensive player (better defensively too in my opinion), that plays C - the more difficult and valuable position than the wing. You want this player extended to a reasonable extension and you want the Oilers to add for Ehlers. I think you may be under valuing RNH or over valuing Ehlers. RNH with a reasonable extension is worth more than Ehlers, not less.
Depends on the extension. I assumed more like $7M a year, which mean you'd be getting the cheaper and younger player. That's where I saw the add coming in.

Value-wise, I see RNH as a 60 pt center, since that's what we'd need him for, and that's what he's proven to be when he's not playing wing with an MVP center (which we sadly do not have in Winnipeg)

If he winds up with Ehlers' cap number, I'd do it as a one-for-one. 60 pt forward for a 60 pt forward. You get the younger guy, we get the more valuable position. That's about as even as it gets.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Depends on the extension. I assumed more like $7M a year, which mean you'd be getting the cheaper and younger player. That's where I saw the add coming in.

Value-wise, I see RNH as a 60 pt center, since that's what we'd need him for, and that's what he's proven to be when he's not playing wing with an MVP center (which we sadly do not have in Winnipeg)

If he winds up with Ehlers' cap number, I'd do it as a one-for-one. 60 pt forward for a 60 pt forward. You get the younger guy, we get the more valuable position. That's about as even as it gets.
The C over the wing makes up for $1million in cap. RNH is also a very good defensively and PK's which Ehlers does not do. I like Ehlers a lot, if I'm the Jets and it costs Ehlers 1 for 1 to get an extended RNH at $7million I make that deal. The Jets are a better team with RNH in place of Ehlers.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
taking your strengths for granted, busting up a solid core, hardly ever works out
keeping Eberle and Hall might've been better for Oil (well maybe they don't get McD pick)
for every Jones<>Johansen win-win, the highways are littered with regretted 'home-run swing' deals that flopped

Well yeah that's Peter Chiarelli for you but a lot of that was caused by him telling the media they would compete sooner than people thought and giving away two very good draft picks for Griffin f***ing Reinhart.

Reactions: ivanlwan and cwede

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
No real reason to give up Nuge if there's a reasonable extension to be had.

He's shown he's a key player in the top 6 and depending on what other moves are made this off season gives the coaches the ability to go 3 strong centers deep with the possibility of stacking lines later in the game as well always keeping the option open of uniting McDrai.

The number one priority this off season should be signing RNH unless someone makes the type of stupid offer for him that's not realistic.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Honestly I’d rather have a Nuge on my team than an Ehlers if he extends long term under 7. He just brings more with his versatility (c/lw) and he plays a sound defensive game and can be relied on to pk. Also, he’s at or near ppg playing wing with Mcd/Drai so his production is more valuable to us than other teams that would play him at center and get 60-65 points.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
I wouldn’t do it for Ehlers. Extended RNH + 14th ov for Laine.

McDavid or Draisaitl get a sniper and maybe he helps get Puljujarvi back into the fold. If they both workout in Edmonton we’d be unstoppable upfront

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
We had Hall and Eberle when we got the McDavid pick.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Hall and Eberle were traded after McDavid was drafted.

Reactions: ivanlwan and cwede

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Why would EDM even think about trading RNH for another winger ? He is one of their three top players. One of the three things that should be built around... Seems weird to consider moving him.
I don't think they would. Coaches love him. He plays where ever they want him to and does what they want him to. Unless for some reason he wants to move on I expect they will sign him to a long term extension this off season. And I actually expect it will be a rather easy signing.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Heinola is one of the few prospect D we have, likely a no-go there. We are VERY thin on D.

I would do it for Ehlers, assuming a reasonable extension for RNH and maybe a small add coming back from the Oil.

I prefer to keep Connor but you may get a different answer from a lot of Jets fans. Ehlers is the better play-driver of the two, but Connor is the better scorer.

So you want the better offensive player (better defensively too in my opinion), that plays C - the more difficult and valuable position than the wing. You want this player extended to a reasonable extension and you want the Oilers to add for Ehlers. I think you may be under valuing RNH or over valuing Ehlers. RNH with a reasonable extension is worth more than Ehlers, not less.

What would the Oil want for Neal?

Done, an extended Nuge + Neal for Ehlers.

Honestly, I like Ehlers but if we had Nuge secured at 6y @ $7AAV... I’m good. It would mean he committed to the team and the city. Not always easy in Edmonton.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I think people think that RNH is old because he's been around for so long - he's only 3 years older than Ehlers. We're not talking about a 30 year old and a 22 year old here.
Don’t both these teams need help on D more that forward?

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
No interest from this Oil fan. Nuge will likely sign a reasonable deal that keeps him here for his career. So while Ehlers might have a slightly better contract when we see Nuge’s extension (I’d guess 7 or 8 years at anywhere from 6.5-7.25), and Ehlers skill set is a bit flashier, the versatility Nuge provides (could slot in at 2C if McD/Drai go down) is well worth the extra $$$$.

We need to find McD a winger, but we need to do so while keeping the Nuge-Drai-Yamamoto line intact. Easier said than done of course. Just hoping Quinn is there at 14.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad