Post-Game Talk: Nucks 3 @ Wings 5 | ♪ 3 Bad Calls, 2 Bleeding Canucks and A Power Outage in the Joe ♪

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon
Asked this on the wings board...

Originally Posted by Baby Shinkaruk View Post
Nucks fan here. I thought it would be interesting to ask the opposite fan base on how my team looked and performed. Do you personally think the Canucks are contenders this year? A playoff team?

As for you guys I think Detroit has a legit shot at 1st in the East. I love the way your team plays. Fun to watch.

"The Wings had their way with the Canucks for the majority of the first period so that will affect my opinion of them. Surely that's not how they usually start games off with the kind of record they currently have. Wasn't that impressed by Miller and the defense clearly missed Hamhuis but I really liked Vancouver's pressure in the offensive zone. There were a couple times in the game where I caught myself thinking that the Nucks seemed a lot grittier and gutsy than they have been in past years. Bonino looks like a great fit and I really liked the dimension that Horvat, Vey and Matthias add to your team."

"Definitely a playoff team, not so much a contender but a team that could still make some noise in the playoffs. Pretty comparable to Detroit in that respect I'd say."

arsmaster*

Matthias playing really well. Legitimate second liner.

WhAt?

Playing well in a few games doesn't make you a legitimate anything.

He's a 3/4 tweener. Who is getting some bounces the last few.

If he's s 2nd liner here moving forward prepare to plummet down the standings.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

"The Wings had their way with the Canucks for the majority of the first period so that will affect my opinion of them. Surely that's not how they usually start games off with the kind of record they currently have. Wasn't that impressed by Miller and the defense clearly missed Hamhuis but I really liked Vancouver's pressure in the offensive zone. There were a couple times in the game where I caught myself thinking that the Nucks seemed a lot grittier and gutsy than they have been in past years. Bonino looks like a great fit and I really liked the dimension that Horvat, Vey and Matthias add to your team."

"Definitely a playoff team, not so much a contender but a team that could still make some noise in the playoffs. Pretty comparable to Detroit in that respect I'd say."

seems about right, apart from though they aren't grittier.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl

Wings fan here. I thought Canucks had a 'never lay down and quit' attitude. And they do look much more grittier than Nucks in the past.

Looks like they started off slow in the 1st then found their legs as the game went on. To me, personally, this team looks more scary than the 2011 Canucks team for the sole fact they seem to have no quit attitude, turn up the pressure when they're down... and are much grittier. Miller wasn't great in this game, probably had a stinker which all goalies have. But I think he is better than Lou.

I think as Nucks gel and if they stay healthy, they will be a top 5 team in west. And when you make the playoffs, anything can happen.

Today's game was a nail biter.

Zaddy91

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
Every game I say it's almost time to take ol Bieksa to the glue factory, -3 tonight, 3 points in 23 games as our supposed top 2 Defender. The guy has really regressed to a slow slow vet with good decison making., who doesn't have the elite crisp plays he had 3 years ago.

Not buying it, if we lose in the playoffs because of a slow Bieksa, I am seriously interested in a Myers trade, and if Bieksa won't waive he's bought out.

arsmaster*

Sorry I don't think you wings fans recall the 2011 team well. Better than last year sure. Diffwrent style and attitude sure.

This team isn't grittier, this team isn't close to that level. That was a historic team. Similar to your 1995 wings.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
Team probably deserved to lose based on the run of play throughout the game; beyond that, Miller threw away whatever chance the Canucks had to come back in the game. For my money it was probably his second worst game of the season.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
I don't know the underlying numbers so I could be wrong but I thought the sedins got beat all night long. seemed to have a tough time breaking the puck out of the zone and the Wings did a good job of keeping the puck away.

I thought on a night like tonight you see why a line mate like Burrows worked well with the Sedins, they desperately needed puck retrieval but vrbata didn't provide much.

T Low

Oct 18, 2008
I thought on a night like tonight you see why a line mate like Burrows worked well with the Sedins, they desperately needed puck retrieval but vrbata didn't provide much.

Exactly why Babcock often has Abdelkader or Helm with Zetterberg and Datsyuk rather than Nyquist.

Nyquist=Shoot to kill

Abby/Helm=Retrieve or die

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
It's almost as if the Wings were familiar with the Sedins' game! It's like they skate together in the off-season and play on the National Team, or something.

Wings have the killer instinct. That's the difference. Canucks core did not display much bloodlust, lately. This is why newcomers stand out, they want to win and work towards it. They do not expect wins to pile up as a statistical certainty.

I think this is a loss the Canucks can look at as a lesson in intensity.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Interesting in the provies burrows swears that puck off the boards that went behind howard had passed the line.

I couldnt see it on the tv replays.

“There was a camera angle maybe from behind the penalty box, zooming in on the net. It’s the one they showed on the scoreboard. When I saw it, I said that’s in for sure.”

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
It's almost as if the Wings were familiar with the Sedins' game! It's like they skate together in the off-season and play on the National Team, or something.

Wings have the killer instinct. That's the difference. Canucks core did not display much bloodlust, lately. This is why newcomers stand out, they want to win and work towards it. They do not expect wins to pile up as a statistical certainty.

I think this is a loss the Canucks can look at as a lesson in intensity.

This is a bit of a strange comment, the wings fans actually thought they nearly let the game slip away late when the canucks came on.

Im not sure why you felt the wings had a killer instinct and the canucks have not displayed it lately?

If anything I think our problem was in the first period, we simply were not ready for the pace the wings played at to start, they came out skating extremely hard.

Also did not help some bizarre officiating where burrows cant brush howard but abdelkader can stand on millers pad in the crease and it counts as goal. Both lead to goals.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
Interesting in the provies burrows swears that puck off the boards that went behind howard had passed the line.

I couldnt see it on the tv replays.

Good Provies tonight. Here's a good paragraph from Botch that relates to the discussion above:
BEST BACKUP

There was weird **** going on all game. How do you explain the Sedins setting up Vey for a power play goal, one he apparently scored unassisted?

Meanwhile, Spizza tries to clear the puck, and hits the post. The puck deflects in the crease, grazes Nick Bonino and ends up in the net.

What’s the scoresheet say on that one?

4 2 14:24 PP 13 P.DATSYUK(8) 21 T.TATAR(5) 4 J.KINDL(5)
http://blogs.theprovince.com/2014/11/30/the-provies-hammer-can-you-hear-us-conspiracies-spizzas-and-some-man-hockey/

McHortton

Accidental Tank 2016
Jun 28, 2013
Vancouver
Not sure I agree with everyone on Miller, I thought other then the Dekeyser goal he played pretty decent. Obviously not great but not as bad as everyones saying. Sedins definitely had their worst game of the season error wise, made like 3 brutal mistakes 2 or 3 of them costing goals.

On the positive side Mathias was really solid, looking like an above average 3rd liner loving the speed and size he brings. Vey pulled out 3 points, he was good but still need to works on being grittier, I do like him on the PPP though, he picks his spots well.

Team game as a whole was one of our weaker performances , should come out strong next game and get a solid win.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
More like a really good 3rd liner.

Yup. He's a very good 3rd line LW.

He got off to a slow start this year but he was great for us at the end of last year and has gotten back to that level here recently.

Having Horvat stay up allows him to play LW, where he has always looked better. A line with Matthias, Horvat, and Hansen is something that would be intriguing to me later in the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad