Nuanced things that bother you as a player

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
If you have good vision you know where everyone is on the ice. If you’re giving drop passes that get intercepted than you don’t know where the other teams players are, so you shouldn’t be making a blind pass.

No look passes are common at every level of the game. They can be challenging to pull off unless you’re Patrick Kane.

It’s one thing to know where everyone is on the ice, but the point remains that the covered guy just shouldn’t call for a blind pass urgently.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
The drop pass. Why is it that so many beer league guys who do not possess the requisite skill for this maneuver insist on trying to pull it off and create the inevitable odd-man rush the other way?

It's weird because it's usually such a simple play to make too. You kinda just leave the puck, I've noticed lots of beer leaguers try to 'fling' it backwards with momentum when it's completely unnecsseary instead of just leaving it and letting their teammate skate into it.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
So if you’re a center leading the rush and one of your wingers is screaming at you to give them a drop pass near the high slot and it gets intercepted, how are you supposed to know to ignore them? Hard to look back when you’re already busy working against the D one on one.

Well the better players will have their head up and might be able to see it through their peripheral vision instead of the lower level player chopping at the puck with his head down.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Well the better players will have their head up and might be able to see it through their peripheral vision instead of the lower level player chopping at the puck with his head down.

Of course, but the vision largely depends on your skill level versus the competition. I can go to the beginner's league and make sick plays as if I was Patrick Kane because my vision and skill level is much higher. Put me against top tier men's league players or semi-pro and my vision is useless at that point.

It's like when average AHL guys get called up to the NHL. They have incredible hockey IQ and vision by almost any standard but they look like they're thinking the game in slow mo in comparison to NHL guys.

I maintain that guys shouldn't call for passes when they're clearly covered, that's a basic thing in hockey.

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
No look passes are common at every level of the game. They can be challenging to pull off unless you’re Patrick Kane.

It’s one thing to know where everyone is on the ice, but the point remains that the covered guy just shouldn’t call for a blind pass urgently.
Where did I say anything about not making no look passes? You seem to be coming up with stuff to not admit that the player with the puck has the responsibility of making a good pass, regardless of what his teammates are doing.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Where did I say anything about not making no look passes? You seem to be coming up with stuff to not admit that the player with the puck has the responsibility of making a good pass, regardless of what his teammates are doing.

In an ideal world yes but you don’t always have time to see or think in a real game. If someone calls urgently, they may have an opportunity that’s gone 500 ms later and you have to act instinctively.

Point is, don’t call for a pass if you’re not open.

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
1. Poor shot selection.

To elaborate, there’s been so many times on the rush a team mate misses the net, it rims fully around and the other team is on an odd-man rush. Also, defensemen taking point shots on the power play.

At the level of hockey that I played, no forward is tipping the puck on a consistent basis enough for it to be a good play, and no defensemen is consistently walking the line to get shots through.
Definitely the first one. I play goal, so I see it on both sides, but it's frustrating when my team has possession, and then the D elects to fire it into a mass of humanity hoping they'll get a rebound.

First, it usually doesn't make it anywhere close to the goalie.

The second part is my own gripe - newb forwards who have been given the instruction "GO TO THE NET!" That's all they do - with no rhyme or reason to it. They'll stand there, waiting for that pass or rebound... but not really thinking to screen. Not getting their stick in a spot where they'll have a quick tap in. They just go to the front, like a moth to the flame, hoping that a goal will magically come.

That is, if the shot makes it through, which it often doesn't.

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
In an ideal world yes but you don’t always have time to see or think in a real game. If someone calls urgently, they may have an opportunity that’s gone 500 ms later and you have to act instinctively.

Point is, don’t call for a pass if you’re not open.
Once again, it’s on both, but the player with the puck has the responsibility to take care of the puck. Hockey 101.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Of course I’m typing this after a game, but why do defenseman feel the need to drop down and slide on a 2 on 1 scenario? It’s completely unnecessary and it costed us two goals.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
To elaborate, there’s been so many times on the rush a team mate misses the net, it rims fully around and the other team is on an odd-man rush.

That's because they haven't been trained to almost always shoot to the short side. Better chance of scoring, puck will not rim around and out. Only shoot far side looking for a rebound, meaning you are shooting for the far side leg pad.

ilyazhito

May 15, 2013
That's because they haven't been trained to almost always shoot to the short side. Better chance of scoring, puck will not rim around and out. Only shoot far side looking for a rebound, meaning you are shooting for the far side leg pad.
As a goalie, I can confirm that short side shots are VERY effective. If a goalie is on his angle, you will miss far side, unless your shot is perfectly aimed. Short side, you have more of a chance, because goalies might sometimes cheat over to cover the pass or cover the shooter and not the puck. I have to adjust to make sure I don't leave openings on the short side.

Laodongxi

Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
As a goalie, I can confirm that short side shots are VERY effective. If a goalie is on his angle, you will miss far side, unless your shot is perfectly aimed. Short side, you have more of a chance, because goalies might sometimes cheat over to cover the pass or cover the shooter and not the puck. I have to adjust to make sure I don't leave openings on the short side.

While you're at it, can we get some more goalie secrets please? :sarcasm:

ilyazhito

May 15, 2013
As a goalie, my biggest pet peeve is when skaters try to block shots with their body. This causes me to be screened, and the shot to deflect in ways I can't predict. I have had my own player deflect a shot into the goal behind me when trying to block it. This is the worst type of goal to give up, because there is nothing I could have done to stop it.

Another big goalie pet peeve is a defender taking the puck carrier on a 2 on 1. If you do this, it gives the puck carrier the option to pass and leaves the receiver open for a backdoor tap-in. I then have to wait for the pass to leave the stick to move over and cover the pass receiver. Add a shot against the grain and you force me to make a highlight-reel save. A better option is to shade towards the pass receiver, but stay within a stick length of the puck carrier. This allows you to pressure the shooter and disrupt the pass, and me to focus on the puck carrier to stay on my angle if he shoots.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Not receiving the pass when I call for it...

If I call for it, I'm open... so don't overthink it, just look to where the obnoxious stick tapping is coming from, and slide the puck over

Also, 2 on 0's where the puck carrier holds onto the puck the entire time and then passes it at the last second as if he's fooling anyone...

This is especially frustrating in meaningless pickup games where the goal on a 2 on 0 should be to see how many passes you can get in before the shot

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
The problem with the drop pass is not in the idea, but in the execution...

I tell my linemates if you're going to do a drop pass, simply stop the puck and I'll pick it up... don't try to direct it somewhere that you think I'll be

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Players that shoot the puck on a 4 on 1 before even looking to pass.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
People that think standing in one spot while waiting for a pass is a good idea.

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
Forwards who don't skate east/west when looking for an outlet pass. There are five other players who are trying to prevent me from completing this pass, force them to move and give me a lane so I can get it to you.

This. Also when they go east/west but aren't looking for the puck, so when I lead them with a pass they peel off. Do they have something better to do on the breakout?

Forwards who vacate the net front, put their stick in the air and give the goalie a clear view of the shot I took something off of so they could tip.

WolfgangPuck

May 12, 2012
D partner irrates me when he claps the stick and wants me to pass and calls for a bank pass behind the net. When there no reason.
There is no forechecking. Just skate your lazy ass up the ice with me

Reactions: beedee

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad