NTDP 2021-22 Season Thread

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
Just watched the U-17's this morning after I walked the pup and it was the most entertaining game they've played yet. They also played their best hockey of the year against a good Chicago team. They were up 3-0 after the 1st but ended up losing 5-3 off of a late surge from the Steel in the 3rd.

Austin Burnevik (St. Cloud St.) scored to open it with a nice shot to the open part of the net taking a good feed from Will Smith on a turnover because Chicago was about to have to many men on the ice. Burnevik also was good on the PK pressuring the Steel point man to the blue line and poked the puck free to the neutral zone. Oliver Moore is becoming a player to watch on this team. He has tremendous speed and showed it again on a goal where he created separation cutting to the net and creating his own breakaway and scored the second goal.

Another moment was Gabe Perreault working hard down low and keeping the feet moving maintaining possession getting the puck to Will Smith who centered the puck for Will Vote to score in the slot to go up 3-0 in the first.

Chicago was to much though over the course of the game and it's a learning curve for the U.S. younger squad to close out games. Fantilli took over and scored a big goal to go up on a great cross ice feed from Jackson Blake. If Blake returns to Eden Prairie watch out for that team to repeat as champions in Minnesota high school hockey. I thought Jake Livanavage was solid again on the D side disrupting plays and pinching along the boards to keep possession and feed his teammates.

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
Last post of the day, as a side note I love keeping this thread going but not sure I want to do this all next year. Every weekend I'm watching either live or on demand all 4 NTDP games and there's so much more hockey to watch, Haha. I haven't seen a single college game yet besides Michigan St vs the U-18's. I love watching the older group beat college teams but it takes a lot of time to watch all these games within the weekend time frame and you feel like you're missing out on other leagues and games. JMC "called me out" early in the year so I gotta live up to it this year.

I say that all in good fun of course and love posting my thoughts in this thread, I know there's some Canadians that lurk down here throughout the year that like to see what other fans are saying about the U.S. kids as they only really get to see this team mainly at the end of their two years at the World U-18's

Reactions: Church Hill

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
The U-18's lost to Northern Michigan last night 5-3 in a game that was controlled by USA for parts of the second and most of the 3rd. NMU had a 4-0 lead going into the 3rd and being this was an exhibition for them you assume they kind of relaxed in the 3rd. I like this NMU team from a team defense standpoint as they blocked a lot of shots and kept the US to the outside until the 3rd.

Goals came from Marek Hejduk, Logan Cooley, and Cutter Gauthier in the 3rd. Ryan Chesley is subtly very smart out there and finds himself sneaking into the play and able to get at a rebound or take a pass creeping down low. There were a few nice set ups from the pp unit with McGroarty below the goal line taking feeds from the halfwall and sending a quick one touch pass to the slot. Cooley showed his typical speed and zone entries beating the D and getting the puck to the tape of a teammate.

Hank Crone was a good player in the USHL and continued that here in the first two periods with some quick hands and playmaking ability. The real spotlight though was with NMU goalie Charlie Glockner, a freshmen from Minnetonka, MN. He stopped point blank shots and moved side to side very well to stop a few one timers. He was tough to beat all night and the last goal by Gauthier wasn't his fault as he was screened and Gauthier made a nice shot that went through traffic.

Reactions: JMCx4

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
NMU impressed me late last year & are doing it again early this season. They should help make the CCHA's return season one to watch. [ETA: Sorry, forgot this was the USNTDP thread. /college talk]

Last edited:
Reactions: NTDP

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
NMU impressed me late last year & are doing it again early this season. They should help make the CCHA's return season one to watch. [ETA: Sorry, forgot this was the USNTDP thread. /college talk]

I like NMU and one of the programs that many don’t watch unless your team plays them (I’m guilty of that). They play a strong game and clog lanes, but have some guys that can produce or at least create

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad