Confirmed Signing with Link: [NSH] Preds re-sign Ryan Hartman [1yr/$875k]

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
He's not a 4th liner by any statistical measure, just check out his even strength numbers the past two seasons. Thanks for your input though, I guess.
His junior/AHL numbers indicate NHL 4th liner. He has 2 seasons in the NHL, the first year his most common linemate was Hossa and second year it was Kane. He's been prepped up, played top 6 minutes, and is still a mere 30 point player. Was pretty bad with Nashville when moved a notch down with lesser linemates. Not that impressive but whatever, I guess.

And just for the record, this contract is very cheap and good for the Preds. The trade, not so much.

Reactions: Kaners PPGs

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
His junior/AHL numbers indicate NHL 4th liner. He has 2 seasons in the NHL, the first year his most common linemate was Hossa and second year it was Kane. He's been prepped up, played top 6 minutes, and is still a mere 30 point player. Was pretty bad with Nashville when moved a notch down with lesser linemates. Not that impressive but whatever, I guess.

And just for the record, this contract is very cheap and good for the Preds. The trade, not so much.

He jumped all over the lineup. He played 23% of his ice time with Kane in 17-18 and scored 9 points there. When he played with Hossa in 16-17 the third linemate was either Kruger or Hinostroza and they played tough defensive minutes.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
NSH looks to be clearly hesitant on him after they coughed up blood to get him.

Only 1 year and 850k for a guy who just a year ago scored 19 ES goals in his first full pro season screams of a "show me something" deal and that they werent thrilled with his performance after the trade.

Not sure why else something marginally longer for slightly more money to make him more cost controlled didnt happen, because whats the risk of giving him a 2 year $1.15 AAV? If he breaks out, he gets another bargain year for NSH. If he doesnt, the cap doesnt really hurt to bury, waive, or trade. Seems like they dont expect much of him

Reactions: Morrison

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Is there still any doubt that Poile is the best GM in the league?

uh, yea

Poile is a fine GM, but to call a guy who has been at the helm of a team in 21 years and has never won a cup the best GM in the league is a little foolish

He does a lot of things well like manage the cap and draft, but he clearly still hasnt figured out championship roster chemistry, which is the hardest thing to do in the NHL

Yzerman is another terrific GM, but to call him the best GM in the league is kind of foolish too. Guys arent ranked by how many 2nd place (or worse) trophies you have.

Hard to argue with Jim Rutherford being the best GM in the league right now because he has pulled all the right moves to turn the ship in PIT when they looked like they would never get back to cup winners. I understand he has inherited a lot of talent (like Bowman). Ray Shero is a riverboat gambler but he also had great success in PIT before the dice came up snake eyes a few times, but he has done an amazing job in NJ so far.

So all in all, I am not discounting Poile, but I would put him in a collective group of top 5 GMs in the league with Rutherford being on top at the moment

Reactions: generalshepherd141

RickP

Mar 14, 2017
Good short term deal for the Preds. Hartman will be even more motivated this year. He might be expensive next summer though, so that could backfire for the Preds, but that's a good problem to have I guess.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Good deal for NSH, most in Chicago thought he would get close to 2mil before he was traded, and that's why he was traded. Obviously CHI just wanted to sell on him when they were offered the package they were offered and it had little to do with money. Great trade for CHI, good signing by NSH.

Reactions: Kaners PPGs

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
It looks like he just signed his qualifying offer (or the equivalent of it). In order to retain his rights, the Preds had to offer him a 1-year contract at 105% of his last salary, which was $833K. Without arbitration rights, Hartman had to either accept it or haggle for a better deal. It looks like he just accepted it, perhaps to not sour the relationship over relatively little money. If so, Poile may not deserve much praise (unless it's customary to praise every GM when their qualifying offers are accepted).

FYI, the deadline for players to accept their qualifying offers was 5PM last night, so he either accepted right before the deadline and it took until this morning for the news to get out or he waited until the deadline passed and signed a new offer that was almost identical to it.

Last edited:

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
How did it take 40 posts to post this gif? Disappointing

PeQQpo3.gif

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Is there still any doubt that Poile is the best GM in the league?

He’s won exactly 0 Stanley Cups and made it out of the 2nd round exactly once in over 15 years. He paid a 1st for this very player right here whose newest contract is certainly a bargain but I would much rather have a 1st round pick and the other assets paid by Poile than Ryan Hartman

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Did he sign a new contract or just accept his qualifying offer?

If my calculations are correct, his qualifying offer was scheduled to earn him more than this deal.

It's 110% of the previous seasons base salary. Last season, he made a base salary of $832,500, meaning his qualifying offer should have been for $915,750.

EDIT: See correction two posts down

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
Can the Preds stop getting amazing value deals? Damn that's a great value for them.

Edit: Oops. Thought this was the Saros thread

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
If my calculations are correct, his qualifying offer was scheduled to earn him more than this deal.

It's 110% of the previous seasons base salary. Last season, he made a base salary of $832,500, meaning his qualifying offer should have been for $915,750.

Actually, it's 105% of the base salary, which my calculations have as $874,125

So it is technically possible this is the qualifying offer. Unless they did a whole new contract for $875 lol

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017

So the QO must have been a 2-way deal or something?

Otherwise I can't see why he'd take less.

But even if it was a 2-way deal, is Hartman really worried about getting waived and sent to the AHL?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
So the QO must have been a 2-way deal or something?

Otherwise I can't see why he'd take less.

But even if it was a 2-way deal, is Hartman really worried about getting waived and sent to the AHL?

See my correction below. According to the capfriendly qualifying offer guidelines, the QO for Hartman would need to be a 1-way deal. (Since he played more than 180 GP the previous three seasons OR 6o games the previous season)

Actually, it's 105% of the base salary, which my calculations have as $874,125

So it is technically possible this is the qualifying offer. Unless they did a whole new contract for $875 lol

T_Cage

VP of Awesome
Sep 26, 2006
I like this for both parties. NSH cause they get another cheap contract, Hartman because its only for 1yr and if he gets back to '16-17 level he'll get a hefty bump from what a 2-3yr deal would have probably gotten him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad