Confirmed Signing with Link: [NSH] Preds re-sign Ryan Hartman [1yr/$875k]

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
I like this for both parties. NSH cause they get another cheap contract, Hartman because its only for 1yr and if he gets back to '16-17 level he'll get a hefty bump from what a 2-3yr deal would have probably gotten him

you mean when he had 31pts in 76 games as opposed to 31pts in 77 games? lol

Reactions: Kaners PPGs

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
you mean when he had 31pts in 76 games as opposed to 31pts in 77 games? lol
Yes, because you saw some consistency and less of the dumb plays out of him that year. Simply point totals is limiting to evaluate someone

He had 8 more goals the year prior, more corsi success with harder zone usage, and better pace to his play. This past year also had that boost of game 1 where the team had 10 goals, he has 5 points

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
uh, yea

Poile is a fine GM, but to call a guy who has been at the helm of a team in 21 years and has never won a cup the best GM in the league is a little foolish

He does a lot of things well like manage the cap and draft, but he clearly still hasnt figured out championship roster chemistry, which is the hardest thing to do in the NHL

Yzerman is another terrific GM, but to call him the best GM in the league is kind of foolish too. Guys arent ranked by how many 2nd place (or worse) trophies you have.

Hard to argue with Jim Rutherford being the best GM in the league right now because he has pulled all the right moves to turn the ship in PIT when they looked like they would never get back to cup winners. I understand he has inherited a lot of talent (like Bowman). Ray Shero is a riverboat gambler but he also had great success in PIT before the dice came up snake eyes a few times, but he has done an amazing job in NJ so far.

So all in all, I am not discounting Poile, but I would put him in a collective group of top 5 GMs in the league with Rutherford being on top at the moment
Getting to draft Crosby and Malkin 2 elite players and building around them doesn't sound as hard as to draft and scouting top defenseman in the 2nd and 4th round. Wheeling and dealing trying to get your team the right piece to win. Which do you think would be harder?

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Getting to draft Crosby and Malkin 2 elite players and building around them doesn't sound as hard as to draft and scouting top defenseman in the 2nd and 4th round. Wheeling and dealing trying to get your team the right piece to win. Which do you think would be harder?
Sorry, when Poile wins something in 20+ years we can call him the best GM.

Until then...

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
Sorry, when Poile wins something in 20+ years we can call him the best GM.

Until then...
Our highest draft pick has been the 4th pick in the last 10 years and we traded him for a much needed top line center. How many cups would Chicago have in the last 20 years if they didn't get Kane and toews at 3 and 1 back to back years. Or how about the pens if they didn't get Crosby or Malkin at 1 and 2 in back to back years? Yea Poile hasn't won a cup but he has built a team that will be good for a lot of years with the possibility to win cups without having the opportunity to draft a superstar early in the draft. He had to build this team by finding diamonds in the rough in the draft and making steals in trades and signing players to awesome contracts on potential alone. Let's me ask you a question, who has it easier to build a cup contending team. A gm that has to will and deal and make moves to build a team or a gm that drafts 2 superstars and can build around those players.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Our highest draft pick has been the 4th pick in the last 10 years and we traded him for a much needed top line center. How many cups would Chicago have in the last 20 years if they didn't get Kane and toews at 3 and 1 back to back years. Or how about the pens if they didn't get Crosby or Malkin at 1 and 2 in back to back years? Yea Poile hasn't won a cup but he has built a team that will be good for a lot of years with the possibility to win cups without having the opportunity to draft a superstar early in the draft. He had to build this team by finding diamonds in the rough in the draft and making steals in trades and signing players to awesome contracts on potential alone. Let's me ask you a question, who has it easier to build a cup contending team. A gm that has to will and deal and make moves to build a team or a gm that drafts 2 superstars and can build around those players.
Again, I already acknowledged he is a very good GM, top 5. But you need to back off a little calling him the best GM in the league. Being consistently above average doesnt make you the best GM in the league, especially when you never achieve the ultimate goal.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
Again, I already acknowledged he is a very good GM, top 5. But you need to back off a little calling him the best GM in the league. Being consistently above average doesnt make you the best GM in the league, especially when you never achieve the ultimate goal.
How many true superstars has he had the ability to draft though. The fact that what he's doing and being able to build without having a true superstar drafted to build around is more remarkable than someone who drafts a elite superstar and gets to put pieces around them. If Nashville drafted toews and Kane or Crosby and Malkin are you saying poile would still be cupless? You're taking the no cup so he can't be a top gm and I'm saying if he had a player like Crosby/Malkin and Kane/toews he would have a cup or 2.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I'd Beaudin and Edjsell over him, easily.
Not going to pretend that I know a lot about Edjsell, but I’m not a big fan of Beaudin. Paid attention to him as a possible Canucks 2nd round pick and was unimpressed.

I think Hartman will be a high end 3rd line winger for the Preds once he adjusts to the system and goes through a training camp with Laviolette.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Not going to pretend that I know a lot about Edjsell, but I’m not a big fan of Beaudin. Paid attention to him as a possible Canucks 2nd round pick and was unimpressed.

I think Hartman will be a high end 3rd line winger for the Preds once he adjusts to the system and goes through a training camp with Laviolette.
He's 18. And I'll take the Hawks scouts word for it over yours.
Edjsell can definitely be a 3rd liner himself, so if we can get a 3rd liner and a bottom pairing Dman (yet, still a highly rated asset for the next couple of years) at worst for Hartman, that is a win in CHIs books.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
In no order:

Yzerman
Poile
Rutherford
Wilson
Tie between Shero/Bowman/Armstrong/Chevy/Nill/Kekalainen depending on the year, all are pretty good at different things but all operate very differently
I get your point on no cups but you have to understand what I'm saying with having no superstar drafted to build around and what he has done without a superstar is a lot more impressive than a gm that has a superstar to build around.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
He's 18. And I'll take the Hawks scouts word for it over yours.
Edjsell can definitely be a 3rd liner himself, so if we can get a 3rd liner and a bottom pairing Dman (yet, still a highly rated asset for the next couple of years) at worst for Hartman, that is a win in CHIs books.
Yeah, by no means am I insinuating that I'm a pro scout lol. I was just not high on him as a prospect.

It's a message board, I'm just giving my personal opinion like all of us are.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I get your point on no cups but you have to understand what I'm saying with having no superstar drafted to build around and what he has done without a superstar is a lot more impressive than a gm that has a superstar to build around.
Weber was one of the top Dmen back in 2010-2013.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad