Confirmed Signing with Link: [NSH] Mikael Granlund re-signs with the Predators (4 years, $5M AAV)

Patty Ice

Feb 27, 2002
Not California
About 1M overpaid IMO, but we've got a shload of cap space for him.

I was expecting him to sign close to $4.5 mil a year and Evolving Hockey had predicted his AAV to be $5.036 mil. Looking at some of their other predictions vs. the actual contracts (eg Haula, Wenneberg, Bonino, etc) it looks to be around a $500k overpayment which I have no problem with to a guy that showed so much versatility and importance to the team.

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
You still haven't said much of anything. Granlund is neither of those things.
Look, bottom line is that there's a huge number players that are overpaid relative to their performance. A smart GM would not even sign these kind of deals and find value elsewhere. Granlund should be in the $2-$2.5M range.

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
lol, seriously? Tucker Poolman got 2.5m :laugh:Granlund is obviously worth more.
Relative to what? The current market overpaying average to below average production? Sure. That's their mistake and why so many teams are stuck in perpetual mediocrity.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Relative to what? The current market overpaying average to below average production? Sure. That's their mistake and why so many teams are stuck in perpetual mediocrity.

Relative to his impact on the ice. Anybody who actually watched him last year and a half would know that. You're just tattling on yourself that you didn't watch him.

Reactions: Patty Ice

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
Relative to his impact on the ice. Anybody who actually watched him last year and a half would know that. You're just tattling on yourself that you didn't watch him.
I haven't watched right? The go to excuse for overrated players. Enjoy this contract, you'll regret it by year 2.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
He's a really good player. I'm just surprised he stuck around Nashville instead of going to a better team.

boyko10

44-11-9
Apr 27, 2017
Worst things first. Haven't been able to watch him much past few years. Am Finnish too, so obviously incapable of being objective.

Watched him since junior, and seeing him called soft, in any sense of the word.. Literally makes me cringe. What he lacks is raw strength and a frame. The kid has been a wrecking ball since junior. Likes to dish out a good clean hit. Unfortunately if the ball weighs four pounds it lacks impact. His heart is bigger than than a former president's ego. Never shied away from a tight spot.

One of the highest IQ, smoothest hands and biggest 'drive' and love for the game I've ever witnessed. Zero delusions of grandeur, team player who wants to see everyone get the spotlight except for himself. Loves to pk as much as giving a highlight reel saucer pass. If he had Malkin size and even average strength and shot, would be considered a top player and perennial all-star.

Fanboy speech over.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Because you don‘t follow other teams, overpay own players, hope to get other good players for less than a bargain, but all you get is a reality check in the end.

Still perplexed or could I help you?
You're telling me its good to overpay your own players?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad