Confirmed Signing with Link: [NSH] Mikael Granlund re-signs with the Predators (4 years, $5M AAV)

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I think this is a mistake for Granlund the preds have started what looks to be a rebuild with the Arvidson and Ellis trades
"Competitive re-tool." Don't think the org is willing to eat the down years of a full rebuild. Poile is trying to keep the team playoff spot-competitive while turning over the roster. Granlund is a good player to help insulate guys like Glass, Tomasino, Tolvanen until they're fully ready to manage the workload.

preds1

Apr 2, 2010
TN
Maybe a tad high but it's not like we're crunched for cap space. Fair deal and glad to have him back.

Reactions: maplepred

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
A lot of people didn't watch him last year and a half if you still think this is the Granlund of his first year in Nashville.

Probably our 2nd best forward after Forsberg last year, although a case could be made for Tolvanen. About 1M overpaid IMO, but we've got a shload of cap space for him.

Reactions: Patty Ice

Paranoid Android

mug mug mug
Sep 17, 2006
Really interesting seeing the mixed reviews on this signing. I think it's a pretty good deal for both parties. I was half expecting some team to give him something stupid like 6x$6m. He was underpaid last season.

Granlund was arguably Nashville's best forward last year. He's a good mentor and a hard worker.

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
Drat. I wanted him to join the Leafs. Good player, and he'll be worth that contract, no doubt.

Tysonson3

Feb 20, 2017
I’m good with this. Maybe one year more than I would have liked but I can’t really complain. 5 per year is fine when we’ve just cleared 13 million this offseason

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
Mixed reactions between people who watch stats and those who watch Preds actually play more than just the occasional game against their favorite team(s).

2-3 years would have been ideal for the team, but after the drastic life changes two years ago Granlund probably wanted a long term deal. Poile doesn't hand out movement clauses very easily, but it wouldn't surprise me if there was some sort of verbal promise about not trading him unless/until somethingsomething.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
It looks like we'll have $10M in unused cap space this year and next (if we extend Forsberg and Ekholm anyway --- much much more if we don't). So worrying about $1M here or there with that much open space is pointless. Granlund was certainly one of our top players last season, and certainly the coach's favorite player anyway.

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014
Obviously there was a verbal agreement last year.
If it works out, he gets his term.
With last year combined this 5 x 4.75m. That’s okay.
I ‘d wished him a team with more chances for the cup, but obviously MG likes it in Nashville and doesn’t want to move around.

sakux

Feb 5, 2013
Great signing! Dirt cheap for the guy who contributes in all situations and gets the most TOI out of all forwards.

He will have a huge year if he plays with Forsberg and Tolvanen.

Reactions: Mestaruus

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Yeah, that's what I expect too, I think it's likely
Tolvanen-Granlund-Tomasino
Funny though, the best Duchene looked last year was with Forsberg and Granlund, Hynes didn't like it though, too much production.
That was a few games still under Lavi. I think it was just a fluke, though. Duchene would have eventually dragged those guys down just like he drags everybody down.

Granlund and Kunin look pretty good together to me.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Surprised that after the last few meh seasons he had that NSH stuck with him. I don't think it's a bad contract and think he can produce better then what he showed, just surprised both decided to stick with it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad